Callum Wilson

Strawberry

Worrying developments for sure, but we haven't seen the style of play with the new lads in yet. It might end up being a system that eventually really works to Gayle's favor, might bring more goals from dudes like ASM and Fraser, Willock or Miggy might be way further up the pitch adding to the goals.

That being said, we should've definitely brought in another striker.

6 minutes ago, andycap said:

Playing miggy though would create space for our midfielders to score which might be a better bet than a static gayle

Miggy playing behind the striker with Bruno feeding passes for him to run unto is what MLS version of Miggy was made for. The version we have seen mostly, schlepped around the pitch in every position other than his best, I am not sure if that player we bought is still there.

The fact he wasn't moved out this window and that Howe is usually all over him (see after the Leeds game) tells me Howe does rate him still. 

Gayle physically struggles badly since those 2 bad injuries when Rafa was here, theres a reason Howe played ASM up top instead of the actual striker in Gayle. Most of the time when I have seen him in the last 2/3 seasons he has looked scared to sprint, I don’t think he can start for a back to back run of games anymore. 

He’s just not really an option anymore sadly not to mention he doesnt fit the system that Howe likes to play with the pressing from the front against certain teams, however Gayle from 16/17 would have been great.

Edited by Nine

Gayle has lost a large chunk of his pace since he got those muscle injuries midway through 2016-17. I've always thought that his overall buildup play is decent; he has a fair leap on him to win headers and gets little touches and lay offs that link up with late runners. Almiron's goal away at Wolves in January 2020 a prime example. Just at PL level he can't hit a barn door. Remember being so frustrated at him unable to finish chances in 2017-18 even though his overall play outside the box was decent. Push comes to shove we're going to have play him, even though he should've been moved in 2018 or 2019.

Gayle at least is a natural goalscorer who finds good positions. I have absolutely no idea what level he’s at now but he’s never been able to make it work in the premier league so there’s not much hope of it happening now. Especially without enough pace on both sides to help stretch defences on the break. I think our build-up play doesn’t lend itself to helping Gayle much as it’s so slow, however, Bruno will massively help with this. Anyway, provided Wood stays fit we won’t be seeing much if any of Gayle

Just feel that Gayle is the closest we've to to Wilson as a striker who will run onto the through balls into the spaces. Wood should be able to as well in theory, but he's looked pretty sluggish in the two games so far.

1 hour ago, Thiago said:

Am I alone in being slightly uncertain about this podcast he's doing?

In what way? That it is bad for the club and himself, with him perhaps leaking information or undermining the management? Or just that it isn’t very good? 

If it is the latter, then I tend to agree. It may have picked up a bit. But the first four I listened to were dull and they both just awkwardly laugh at unfunny shit all the while. So I never bothered carrying on with it.

They both come across like decent, genuine blokes, mind. 

12 minutes ago, relámpago blanco said:

Harsh but also he isn't a striker and offers a lot more, he almost single handedly kept us up and comfortable last season.  

thats what i mean. he scored early on for us. no pressure and confidence sky rocketed.

he just seems to be feeling the pressure and the responsibilty this season.

3 hours ago, Lush Vlad said:

In what way? That it is bad for the club and himself, with him perhaps leaking information or undermining the management? Or just that it isn’t very good? 

If it is the latter, then I tend to agree. It may have picked up a bit. But the first four I listened to were dull and they both just awkwardly laugh at unfunny shit all the while. So I never bothered carrying on with it.

They both come across like decent, genuine blokes, mind. 

At first I admired his honesty and openness, but I do worry when that may cross a line with this. 

I'm real disappointed Wilson won't be back until the end of the season and it's a clear sign he can't be relied on for the future.  Gayle must be finished if Bruce wouldn't play him   Put  runners around Wood.  If we can't hit on the counter we'll play Wood as the big man to knock down for the runners.  If Howe plays the 4-3-3 I'd put Willock in for Shelvey and let him make his late runs.

• 2 weeks later...
10 hours ago, peder said:

Any news on his progress?

Yes. He returned to training and apparently took out the whole first team who are now out injured for the season. Wilson also got injured. 

5 hours ago, LV said:

Yes. He returned to training and apparently took out the whole first team who are now out injured for the season. Wilson also got injured. 

Kind of you sir. Sucks to be in that situation. 

If and it’s a big if we can get him back for a run of games at the end particularly given how tough some of them are, it would be a huge bonus. The nature of the injury and his record suggests he’s probably done for the season sadly. With Wilson and Trippier in for the final 5-6 games would be massive.

Hoping for unexpected positive news 

4 hours ago, ExiledGeordie said:

If and it’s a big if we can get him back for a run of games at the end particularly given how tough some of them are, it would be a huge bonus. The nature of the injury and his record suggests he’s probably done for the season sadly. With Wilson and Trippier in for the final 5-6 games would be massive.

Hoping for unexpected positive news 

Hopefully they won't be needed.