Callum Wilson

Strawberry

8 minutes ago, Dr Jinx said:

Bad bout of Covid, it might have been the second time he had it within a few months as well. Surely that takes it’s toll on energy levels and fitness.

Can’t be pissed off at him, he’s still obviously trying, but something definitely missing.

If I was Howe I’d consider letting him leave in the summer, 12-15m would be good business.

I do hope the contract extension news from earlier in the season wasn't true 

He's 31, injury prone and has looked poor for quite a period of time now

4 hours ago, Dr Venkman said:

Can someone make a compelling case for him remaining in the team for the last two months based on stats, or something? I really hope so. I’ve been banging the drum for Isak to start for all of this time and to me it just looks so obvious. I really hope a logical case can be made for Wilson remaining in the team because otherwise it just looks like an otherwise impeccable coach being too stubborn to change things.

The logic for him staying in the team is he's the only CF we have.

38 minutes ago, Dr Jinx said:

If I was Howe I’d consider letting him leave in the summer, 12-15m would be good business.

We literally just got £15m (+4m loan fee) for Chris Wood, even this out of form Wilson is worth way more than that.

I see your point, but we need to start being better sellers as well as buyers if we want to achieve things. It's a huge way to circumvent FFP as well. 

5 minutes ago, Nobody said:

We literally just got £15m (+4m loan fee) for Chris Wood, even this out of form Wilson is worth way more than that.

I see your point, but we need to start being better sellers as well as buyers if we want to achieve things. It's a huge way to circumvent FFP as well. 

Whilst I agree overall, in this case I think everything mentioned above, ie age, being injury prone and now possibly being physically limited due to covid will have seen his value drop. There would still be takers no doubt but at far more sensible numbers.

He's had so many muscle problems, he may be holding himself back for fear of re-injuring himself, like Owen has admitted to doing. I hope I'm not being unfair, but he does look a bit half-hearted.

Equally interesting for me is exactly why Eddie is reluctant to pitch Isak in. Maybe there's some muscle issue there which needs sorting out with some longer term work in the gym, and he doesn't want to over-play him at this time. 

On the other hand, as with Bruno and Gordon, we've seen that Eddie likes to blend new players in gently, whatever their pedigree.

39 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

I love him and I don't know exactly what the reason for his form is, whether it's age, form, the world cup, underlying fatigue or injuries, but he's certainly playing like someone who looks like they have covid.

Yeah there’s just no sharpness at all. Combination of illness and managing injuries impacting his training time but that raises major questions moving forward. 

Edited by ExiledGeordie

I feel for him because we have wingers who never get an early ball in. Almiron and ASM always check back and then spaces get clogged up. 

However, I also feel he's just not helping himself at the minute either. He's not really engaging in those little battles etc. Something is up - it's either give him a partner or bench him.

8 hours ago, Nobody said:

We become better sellers when you have better things to sell - the wood deal isn’t done yet and some are saying it relies on Forrest not going down so don’t spend it just yet.  Wilson is way out of form and I’m not sure how much you’re expecting to get from him to be honest.

12 minutes ago, Gallowgate Toon said:

I feel for him because we have wingers who never get an early ball in. Almiron and ASM always check back and then spaces get clogged up. 

However, I also feel he's just not helping himself at the minute either. He's not really engaging in those little battles etc. Something is up - it's either give him a partner or bench him.

He’s never there for the early ball anyway. In the last few months at least. 

In fairness we’re very good at getting into good crossing positions but there are 2 issues: the crosses themselves and the amount of people we have in the box to attack them.

Look at how City beat Bournemouth on Sat. Bodies in the box pouncing on the loose ball. We need to be like that but unfortunately the players we have in central positions don’t anticipate / execute well enough.

1 minute ago, Dr Jinx said:

Saying that, I’m not totally convinced by Isak.. wasn’t entirely sure what we were getting with him but currently not getting the best from him.

We won't until he gets a consistent run in the team. He's shown some flashes of brilliance off the bench. 

19 minutes ago, Dr Jinx said:

Saying that, I’m not totally convinced by Isak.. wasn’t entirely sure what we were getting with him but currently not getting the best from him.

Neither am I.

But he also looks like he has real ability. I know there's a fantastic player in there but will he put it all together? I'm still excited by him.

5 hours ago, Ronaldo said:

He’s never there for the early ball anyway. In the last few months at least. 

In fairness we’re very good at getting into good crossing positions but there are 2 issues: the crosses themselves and the amount of people we have in the box to attack them.

Look at how City beat Bournemouth on Sat. Bodies in the box pouncing on the loose ball. We need to be like that but unfortunately the players we have in central positions don’t anticipate / execute well enough.

Spot on about the lack of bodies in the box. It makes it much easier for the opposition to then mark the lone striker.

14 hours ago, Geordie Ahmed said:

I do hope the contract extension news from earlier in the season wasn't true 

He's 31, injury prone and has looked poor for quite a period of time now

If it was like my second bout of covid it would make sense.

nearly 3 months later and still getting patches of severe fatigue 

It’s hard one because I’ve always rated the guy and think he’s a top player. For some reason he just seems to have lost something, I don’t know what it is, but something doesn’t seem right with him this year. Maybe his continual injuries are finally catching up to him and just stopping him from getting back to that level we expect from. He’s 31 so certainly not the end of the road, but it feels like it’s part of the process of him starting to decline now