Other games (2021/22)

Yorkie

If the ref's blown the whistle, then play has started ffs.

He blew again to call play back just before the ball went in the net.

Although that is only what the commentator said.  Cos it looks like the second whistle might have come after the goal.

I would prefer refereeing errors to be refereeing errors, and for them have to just take responsibility for it. As things are with VAR, refs just do any old shit and then stand about waiting for VAR to pick up the pieces. I'd argue it's reducing the standard of officiating which was already low. There he just gave the goal when he didn't have a clue what he had done and why he blew his whistle, had no intention of justifying his decision to the players who this impacts massively and instead just waited about for it to be corrected for him.

Would much prefer the game to just accept the element of misjudgement and error, it's so shite watching players surrounding the referee asking them the question, crying about checking a monitor and they just stand about with their finger on their earpiece not saying a word. No accountability.

What happened?

Fuck knows :lol:

Had just started setting up for a free kick and there was a whistle, so Dunk took it quick with players and keeper not in position, as it hit the net, the ref blew again.  Some milling around and confusion with ref talking to players, assumption being it's been disallowed.  Ref then gives it.  Ref then calls everyone back, seems to be indicating for it to be retaken.  Then decides he wants to look at VAR.  Nothing wrong with it by the looks.  Maybe he's looking to see if it was before or after the whistle?  But then hang on, apparently word is the first whistle was to indicate some kind of infringement in terms of, fuck knows, a bit of a tussle or players standing over the magic spray?  So the second whistle was to indicate the kick should be taken, but the ball was already in the air...

Is this not the perfect example of why we should be able to interview officials after the game? Not to destroy them for making a mistake but to at least give chance to explain their thought process.

And yeah it might be that they've fucked up but we need to break down this utterly absurd disconnect between referees which has only been clouded even further with VAR.

If they want us to fucking clap for them to show them respect, then start showing players, managers and fans some respect - have some accountability and open dialogue.

Good. Two refs that I have hated recently having major fuck ups and highlighted massively. mike Dean and Lee Mason, just hang up or smash away your whistle. Or go to Sunday League or somewhere.

Dean has always been a good ref IMO

I think he’s blown the whistle without thinking about and he’s then tried to blow it again when he’s realised a shot has been taken. Incredibly unlucky for Brighton but it wouldn’t have been fair on West Brom. He’s dropped a huge bollock.

Guest neesy111

Mason's the worst ref in the league for me.

I hate the refs stopping quick free kicks generally. It's supposed to be an advantage for the taking team, if your wall or keeper's not ready, tough s***.

This.

The worst thing is he’s cocked up, and whatever he decides is going to upset someone. Instead of standing by his decision he goes back on it, then goes against VAR advice and only then realised that he needs to just do what VAR has said and re-take the free kick.

He’s went from making 1 mistake, to making 4 in order to correct his 1 mistake.

Is this not the perfect example of why we should be able to interview officials after the game? Not to destroy them for making a mistake but to at least give chance to explain their thought process.

And yeah it might be that they've fucked up but we need to break down this utterly absurd disconnect between referees which has only been clouded even further with VAR.

If they want us to fucking clap for them to show them respect, then start showing players, managers and fans some respect - have some accountability and open dialogue.

Exactly.

A quick free quick is either immediate or you wait for the whistle which should only be taken when both teams are ready. Mason has had a brain fart and just blown his whistle without thinking/ out of habit. He wasn’t even looking at how West Brom were set up.

Aye you only have to look back to the Pickford carry on to see how bad he is and today’s incident should see him stood down for a while.

What was the Pickford carry on? Our game vs them?

I hate the refs stopping quick free kicks generally. It's supposed to be an advantage for the taking team, if your wall or keeper's not ready, tough s***.

This.

Pet hate of mine as well. Really annoys me when the team using quick wits is penalised instead of the ones who committed the offence.