Elliot Anderson

joeyt

He's a young player learning the game who will have some bad/invisible games regardless of the standard. Micro analysing a preseason performance as a barometer of whether he should stay or not isn't the best approach. Howe will take it all into account (probably training more than anything else at this point) and make a well informed decision.

Just now, AJ9 said:

Was he that bad? 

Not bad just clearly in a game with an amount of pace that's probably new to him. Didn't have the time and space that he'll be used to so got caught on the ball and wasn't where he needed to be off the ball. 

Just now, relámpago blanco said:

He needs another loan. I think that's why Eddie started him tonight. Nothing against him, he needs a loan a championship club to progress. It's probably not that easy to go from league 2 to playing an excellent champions league side. 

Thats what I've thought over the couple of games he's played. Obviously the staff have seen at lot more of him but just going off what we've seen, get him a loan in the Championship.

Was let down a few times by ASM tonight on that left side, who misplaced a number of passes to him when he was in some space, and could have had a chance to express himself. Tough to judge him on that game, as he didn't really get on the ball much.

Guest HTT II

I think the tempo and pace of the game got to him, and I don’t think he’s a CM, more a wide attacking left or right sided player. What I do like about him is he shows for the ball and looks to get it, turn and look for a forward pass and then shows again for a return, several didn’t come off for him, but that was down to runners misjudging his intentions or just not making the run. Not surprising as he’s basically got zero experience in any form of understanding with his team-mates. I’d send him back out on loan mind!

Difficult one! The step from league two to champions league level is quite a jump. I don´t want to judge him on one performance... and Benfica did play well in the first half, some slick passing and aggressive approach!

I would love him to come in and be our "Geordie Maradona" but i just don´t think it is realistic and the expectation could kill the kid. loan him out until christmas to a championship side and if he kills it bring him back and if he struggles let him grow with it...

12 hours ago, Gallowgate Toon said:

Interesting that Howe hasn't given him a runout as a wide forward at all yet. Quite a lot of responsibility to put a 19-year-old in central midfield who is more attacking.

I've found this quite interesting too. 

One thing Wenger always used to do with young creative players coming through is start them out wide - even if it was nominally out of position. They'd earn their stripes there long before they ever got games in the heart of midfield or as a 10. Fabregas was the one real exception to this rule.

A midfield three is obviously a bit different to a two but I've been surprised that all of his games have been as a midfielder. It's almost the inverse to the above logic - in that he's wanting to see how he copes in the cut and thrust area of the pitch. Or perhaps it's just indicative of the kind of player he wants out wide in this system.

Edited by ponsaelius