Elliot Anderson

joeyt

Our fanbase always want to throw a youngster in at every opportunity :lol: He’s had six months in League Two and two pre-season friendlies.

PL football is so far away from that. Throw someone in at the deep end and you’ll end up like a Longstaff.

3 minutes ago, Fantail Breeze said:

Our fanbase always want to throw a youngster in at every opportunity :lol: He’s had six months in League Two and two pre-season friendlies.

PL football is so far away from that. Throw someone in at the deep end and you’ll end up like a Longstaff.

He's the same age as Ekiteke if I'm not mistaken, pretty sure he would have been in our first team squad and not sent out on loan.

I don’t think either Longstaff brother has suffered as a result of being thrown in to play PL games. If anything they thrived. It was what followed in terms of coaching and progression that has saw them stagnate.

8 minutes ago, TRon said:

He's the same age as Ekiteke if I'm not mistaken, pretty sure he would have been in our first team squad and not sent out on loan.

He’s also played a full season of first team football in France’s highest league. Anderson’s only experience is six months in League Two.

Ekitike was also sent out on loan the season before last to some Danish team IIRC.

Not sure he would’ve been a guaranteed starter had he moved here, which is what people are advocating for Anderson.

He’d benefit a lot more from going on loan to a possession based Championship team with a progressive manager, rather than sitting on our bench. One more full season out on loan and he’d be about there, imo.

Edited by Fantail Breeze

16 minutes ago, Fantail Breeze said:

He’s also played a full season of first team football in France’s highest league. Anderson’s only experience is six months in League Two.

Ekitike was also sent out on loan the season before last to some Danish team IIRC.

Not sure he would’ve been a guaranteed starter had he moved here, which is what people are advocating for Anderson.

He’d benefit a lot more from going on loan to a possession based Championship team with a progressive manager, rather than sitting on our bench. One more full season out on loan and he’d be about there, imo.

I don’t think Anderson should be starting but he absolutely has a role coming off the bench now with the 5 sub rule. It’s a tricky one give him starts in the championship or using him off the bench. Massive issue we are going to have is our starting 11 will be decent but our bench is still going to be pretty average and with teams subbing half their outfield team we are going to have to start relying on the bench 

Interesting to see what we do with him. Based on what we saw from him at Bristol Rovers, he plays in Maxi's position - but he appears to have been on the left of the three CMs if I've been watching these two friendlies right. 

It's impossible to make conclusions but he's certainly looked bright. Enthusiastic, intelligent and some really good one-touch stuff. But it's obscenely early, imo, to be chucking him in our starting line-ups. We really don't have a lot to go on. An indictment of our other wingers, I suppose, but as I say he hasn't even played there for us. 

Unless he really is ready - which I highly doubt - hopefully Shola is lining him up a Championship club so he can build on his promise. I can see the benefit of him sticking around until January, I guess, to get to know Howe's philosophy. A few months of not that much playing time probably wouldn't hurt.

I have faith in the manager either way. 

Just now, Yorkie said:

Interesting to see what we do with him. Based on what we saw from him at Bristol Rovers, he plays in Maxi's position - but he appears to have been on the left of the three CMs if I've been watching these two friendlies right. 

It's impossible to make conclusions but he's certainly looked bright. Enthusiastic, intelligent and some really good one-touch stuff. But it's obscenely early, imo, to be chucking him in our starting line-ups. We really don't have a lot to go on. An indictment of our other wingers, I suppose, but as I say he hasn't even played there for us. 

Unless he really is ready - which I highly doubt - hopefully Shola is lining him up a Championship club so he can build on his promise. I can see the benefit of him sticking around until January, I guess, to get to know Howe's philosophy. A few months of not that much playing time probably wouldn't hurt.

I have faith in the manager, I have absolutely no faith in Shola 

1 hour ago, Yorkie said:

We have enough to go on to see that he can control a ball better than Murphy.

1 minute ago, gazza ladra said:

If he is loaned out, where? Where would he get minutes and work under a decent manager? 

Someone like Luton would make sense, they play decent attacking football and are a top 10 Championship side.

As I said in the match thread I’d be disappointed if he doesn’t make this season’s squad. Especially seeing how average Longstaff, Almirón and Murphy all are. He’ll be 20 come November and at his age Declan Rice, Phil Foden and Marcus Rashford were all involved in the first team and none of them ever went out on loan. Homegrown players are valuable commodities these days and having a local lad progressing through the ranks during this new ownership lends us much needed integrity which I’m sure our directors can appreciate.

2 hours ago, Kanji said:

I'd honestly keep him around and have him compete for the various midfield/winger roles for at least the first half of this season. 

Agreed. 5 subs means he’ll get plenty more opportunity than last year.

As it stands - 1st choice for me is Bruno and Joelinton. And Willock/Longstaff/Anderson are battling for the other more “attacking” position. Shelvey being rotated in when tactics or game plan require. 

51 minutes ago, Kanji said:

As it stands - 1st choice for me is Bruno and Joelinton. And Willock/Longstaff/Anderson are battling for the other more “attacking” position. Shelvey being rotated in when tactics or game plan require. 

I think that Shelvey is going to feature far more than people are ready for.