Joe Willock: Out for the remainder of the season with Achilles injury (Hope)

He definitely seemed a more impactful player last season, even outside of his goals. He wasn't an all-rounder per-se, but I thought his ability to carry it and press were impressive strings to his bow.

Right now, my big concern is how we accommodate him long term because we've got all our good players at the top end of the pitch (Dubravka aside). It's nice to have depth, but I can see Eddie Howe persisting with Willock in a CM role even though I don't believe that allows him much opportunity to crash into the box.

Not sure what Howe wants him to do in a CM with Shelvey, he has to be further forward surely.

Leaves us with no cover for the defence with Shelvey and Willock and Willock isn't really the player to pass the ball well or create chances or defend.

3 hours ago, MarkyMark said:

The only way Willock becomes useful again is if there’s a lockdown.  Lad clearly drops his arse in front of a crowd.  Classic ‘must be great on the training ground’ type.  Offers absolutely nothing, Arsenal pulled Bruce’s pants down.

Does make you wonder what would have happened if Shola played in the time of COVID.  Probably would have broke Dixie Dean’s record. 

He scored in both the final two games last year with fans back - Sheff Utd. + Fulham

Don't think crowd has anything to do with it. I think he's a confidence player and I am not sure if he has the mentality to get himself back in form right now especially with him being young and the collective situation being dogshit this season in terms of club's form and position, but I do believe once he scores another goal he'll be back showing a bit of what we saw last year again.

Edited by Amir_9

On 27/11/2021 at 16:30, TRon said:

Didn't think he was that bad today tbh, he was involved a lot more than the last couple of games. But him and Shelvey are never going to work as a pairing. We need a bit more steel in there, Willock was nicking the ball quite skilfully a few times, but he doesn't relish the phsyical battles, saw him pull out of one 50-50 at least.

There were hardly any players that I'd say played well.  But coming reading other fans views, I found it strange that Willock seemed to be getting the most flak, bar maybe Lascelles and Ritchie.  I thought bar him bottling some challenges, the one with White being the worst.  I was impressed with his workrate and also his drive, when he did get the chance to get on the ball.

I might be wrong.  But it feels like he set the bar so high at the end of last season, that plenty are expecting too much of him.  We have far worse players than Willock and bigger problems (I don't think he is a problem, FWIW). 

That midfield two against a possession based team, with much more talented players, was always going to struggle.  Perhaps needed the legs of someone like Almiron in front, or someone to actually sit a bit deeper and break up play, like Hayden, to go with them.

Last season he was nicking the ball, breaking fast, getting up the pitch, then finishing chances. He's not getting into the box at all this season and he's not breaking fast up the pitch at all either. 

Hasn't he only just returned to the team after being injured and out of favour?  I remember him being fairly anonymous and poor earlier in the season, granted, the same as most of our players.  He's now playing in a slightly deeper role, for a new manager and I think he looks fine.  If a bit lightweight at times and shirking a few tackles.   

I really don't think he looks like a totally different player in his all round game and can't understand where that notion is coming from.  Perhaps if he did play further up the pitch, then he'd start getting chances again and getting into the box a bit more.  But does Howe ever play with a 3 man midfield or a conventional number 10?  I don't see it happening any time soon. 

Edited by Lush Vlad

Who's to say he didn't have more freedom to do that under Bruce, with him usually having two midfielders behind him and probably a lot of others sitting deep playing BruceBall.  Plus the fact he was usually in a more advanced role, then surely he is going to have more opportunities to break into the box, plus the fitness wouldn't be such an issue, as he doesn't have to run as far?  

I thought he made a few of these runs against Brentford, anyway?  Not so much against Arsenal.  But until the last 15-20 minutes.  We didn't really commit men forward full stop.  

1 minute ago, ManDoon said:

Play 4-2-3-1 and have him as the ten. Or play 4-3-3 and ditto.

I'd play him as the most advanced midfielder in a 3 tbh. Don't see him as a number 10 at all. Especially when we have one who has barely been played there in Almiron.

I still like him and think there is a player in there. But he has the speed and fitness to press and then just stops, rarely attempting a tackle. Really lightweight and seemingly scared to get stuck in.

When he is in our third, he is basically a traffic cone. Players walk past him easier than Jonjo after a session on the beers. 

Still decent enough on the ball and got forward with and without it the few chances he got. But the fact he seems to do everything a second too slow is starting to annoy me now. 

Just now, Smal said:

He looks depressed 

I did think that when he came off. Thought he was just being a typical sulky fucker as he was subbed off. 

I do love how fans opinions on players is basically “absolute shite” or “the best defender/midfielder/striker we’ve had since X” :lol: 

A distinctly "meh" performance. He can't play in a midfield two, doesn't get stuck in as much as he should. The fact that Shelvey is our best CM atm (and fair play, he's played out of his skin since Howe came in) should say something.

Edited by Sifu

Loves to get caught in possession or otherwise give the ball away. Noticed especially against Arsenal, but gave it away several times again tonight.

When we can’t get and keep the ball, we can’t play someone who is always turning it over.

Thought he played well tonight. Had a couple of decent runs with the ball and put in a solid defensive shift. 

Knew he'd come in for a lot of criticism this season as his goals were never going to continue. Hopefully he's getting closer to being fully fit and keep improving. 

Guest neesy111
6 minutes ago, Nobody said:

Thought he played well tonight. Had a couple of decent runs with the ball and put in a solid defensive shift. 

Knew he'd come in for a lot of criticism this season as his goals were never going to continue. Hopefully he's getting closer to being fully fit and keep improving. 

He's soft as shite, always out muscled when he's in possession around bodies.  He was better going forward but gives away the ball far too much.

He can't play in a midfield 2.

Edited by neesy111

8 minutes ago, Nobody said:

He’s influenced nothing in a game this season mate , I’m struggling with him a bit personally but hoping he comes back to what we saw last season , he’s just never in the game .