Steve Bruce (now unemployed)

Yorkie

They limit themselves by wanting PL experience. Not saying that’s incorrect, just narrows the results.

Thinking slightly outside the box: Villas-Boas. 

Mind he had that barny with the Marseille board bringing in players over his head. As long as there were clear lines I think he’d be a shout.

People turning their noses up at Potter etc., saying we could do better? We are still the same team (all thanks to Ashley’s mismanagement) that’s been stinking out the premier league- in the spells we’ve actually been in it- for nigh on a decade. We aren’t hot shit yet, gents. We have an amazing opportunity to be, but that’s down the line.

Potter would be amazing for us, and that’s if he’d even want the job.

From the DM article

Graeme Jones is likely to be in charge as caretaker manager when Newcastle United take on Tottenham at St James’ Park next Sunday in the first game of the club’s new era under Saudi Arabian owners.

Bruce met Staveley last week but only briefly and not for substantive discussions. Staveley is expected to hold talks with him this week and she will address the players in midweek when they return from a short break, with Smith, Bruce’s assistant, expected to be in charge by the weekend.

1 hour ago, HaydnNUFC said:

My dream is Conte. It was Allegri back in April 2020 when it looked like it was going through then so Conte seems the next best thing. Why they'd not even bother asking a manager of that calibre about the taking the job would be beyond me, would have the standing in the game to attract good players and so forth.

Potter doesn't excite me, I know he's a great coach, plays good football and has done well with Brighton but he just doesn't. Same with Howe now too, though I'd probably end up taking both if they'd be open to come.

All other top managers like those you've mentioned are all in jobs and I'm unsure if we could prise any of them away at this stage.

I think it actually was Allegri then, was it Icardi let slip that he was lined up by him too, someone did. If that's a window into their thinking, bodes well.

I used to say on the old forum and to people generally that I'd give Pardew a chance with money/without Ashley. Yeah I definitely retract that concept now the time has come.

He's proved himself since just fine.

Edited by Wolfcastle

7 hours ago, HaydnNUFC said:

If they would've gone for a manager of Benitez' calibre then why isn't Conte at least a candidate? Different story if he's already said no, but going by those articles the choices are a bit underwhelming imo.

Probably the thinking is we aren't at the stage yet to attract the really big managers or players, that might come once we are in Europe and a bit closer to the top end of the table. It's frustrating, but I can understand it. Conte will have his pick of jobs, he would probably be looking at clubs already in the CL, assuming he even wants a job right now. I read somewhere that he doesn't want to work until after the new year. 

5 hours ago, toontownman said:

Bruce in the dugout against Spurs would take a seriously gloss off everything. It just can't happen.

If Jones has to be interim for the next week or even two, so be it. Bruce has to go though and absolutely will.

patient young one 

Having Jones in the dugout is better than having Bruce there against Spurs. Such negatives vibes from him and he'll make it all about him. 1000th game, he wants the job, the chance to continue doing it, fuck he'll come up with all excuses and cliche before and after the match about how it was difficult under Ashley, totally forgetting he had been kissing Ashley's arse for as long as he's been here.

As for who replaces him, I know the majority feel we should not or cant get big names like Conte right now and we should probably look at people like Potter. I'll use him as an example. Sure, he will probably keep us safe with good football and good players/additions to the squad.

But, my worry is, what would it take for us to decide when we should move on to a bigger name? Potter struggling after spending money? What if he does well? Of course we'd probably extend his contract, keep giving him the tools and funds to grow the team if he is doing a great job. But we can't expect to hire Potter or etc, and then when we're stable and want to move further ahead, just sack him, unless of couse he is doing terribly? but then the man coming in to replace him would have to clean up the mess and start rebuilding again.

Just my opinion but if we can attract any big names who are ready for a long term project, including to challenge at the top and in cups in the future, bring him in now. If that guy is someone like Potter, then so be it but let him stay even after he has stablised the team, not just use him as a stop gap.

Anyways, #fuckoffBruce.

The great thing now is whoever they appoint, if they do a bad job, they will get sacked. Under Ashley they got 8 year contracts!

We’ll need a technical, tactical manager to be able to get our existing squad into a position that will secure our place in the premiership. That might be a short term appointment until the new board starts implementing it’s vision. 

Guest neesy111
Just now, RS said:

We’ll need a technical, tactical manager to be able to get our existing squad into a position that will secure our place in the premiership. That might be a short term appointment until the new board starts implementing it’s vision. 

Fat Sam then?

12 minutes ago, HTT II said:

The great thing now is whoever they appoint, if they do a bad job, they will get sacked. Under Ashley they got 8 year contracts!

This is absolutely key and the reason that whoever they give the job to wether I agree with the choice or not I will fully get behind