Round of 16 | Sweden 1-2 Ukraine

Unbelievable

As many expected, the strategy seems to be not to lose the game during the first 70 minutes, and then go for it. 

We'll find it difficult to keep hold of the ball with a midfield of Trippier, Rice, Phillips and Shaw. In fact the only player in the front seven who is truly assured in possession is Saka. It's inviting pressure. 

7 minutes ago, TorchyTBB said:

Got the best attacking squad in years and an absolutely dog sh1t defensive manager. So bloody negative, like we're sh1t scared of them.

I can feel your pain, buddy. (I'm Portuguese).

Edited by jotenko

I don't really know what the big problem is tbh. Is playing with wing-backs all of a sudden out-and-out defensive? Looks to me like he's just using the squad he's been blessed with to overcome the threats of the opposition. You only have to look at the Portugal game to see what happens when you neglect Germany's wingers and don't prepare for their switching of the play. 

We've got shitloads of attackers but sadly there's only room for one alongside Kane and Sterling. 

1 minute ago, Yorkie said:

I don't really know what the big problem is tbh. If playing with wing-backs all of a sudden out-and-out defensive? Looks to me he's using the squad he's been blessed with to overcome the threats of the opposition. You only have to look at the Portugal game to see what happens when you neglect Germany's wingers and don't prepare for their switching of the play. 

We've got shitloads of attackers but sadly there's only room for one alongside Kane and Sterling. 

On point. They were * constantly * with a winger having no opposition, against us, after throwing the ball around a couple of times.

3 minutes ago, Yorkie said:

I don't really know what the big problem is tbh. Is playing with wing-backs all of a sudden out-and-out defensive? Looks to me like he's just using the squad he's been blessed with to overcome the threats of the opposition. You only have to look at the Portugal game to see what happens when you neglect Germany's wingers and don't prepare for their switching of the play. 

I'm going to make you a Gareth Southgate sex doll.

20 minutes ago, Beren said:

There's two outcomes.

1. Steve Bruce takes over, apocalypse occurs. Steve Bruce is the Last England Manager.

1. Steve Bruce takes over and builds a England managerial legacy so powerful, they download his brain into a thumb drive and it runs point until the end of times.

1(a) because the moment it happens I'll suck up all the air on earth laughing myself to death. We'll all die like in Spaceballs.

5 minutes ago, Yorkie said:

He's playing 8 defensive minded players out of 11. I expected it but I'm not happy about it. If the wingbacks get forward it might work but it's about as defensive a lineup as he could have named.

Not expecting much attacking flair tonight but hopefully they prove me wrong. Unlike the groups I'm far more interested in the result than the performance tonight. 

I'm not expecting a particularly attacking performance, like, I just don't see it as a necessarily poor choice when the alternative is cramming attack-minded players in there for the sake of it. 

1 minute ago, Yorkie said:

I'm not expecting a particularly attacking performance, like, I just don't see it as a necessarily poor choice when the alternative is cramming attack-minded players in there for the sake of it. 

Do you not think there is too strong a focus on their strengths and not their weaknesses?