PIF, PCP, and RB Sports & Media

Yorkie

9 minutes ago, Disco said:

Jamie Hooben interested in buying Chelsea according to Bloomberg.

Genuinely can’t see the attraction at the price quoted, although I appreciate Reuben is a Chelsea fan. It doesn’t make much business sense though? 

2 minutes ago, STM said:

Jamie Reuben is one good looking lad like. Him and Jamie Redknapp must have done some damage in the past.

Being a millionaire will get him more attention than his looks, I’d wager. 

Football ownership is obviously the hot topic at the moment and the journos can’t help but talk about us. 

Is anybody else worried that changes come into effect and our owners are forced to sell? 

Or is it a case of we are safe now as they are in place already? 

Part of me feels I shouldn’t worry, but then this is Newcastle and we aren’t allowed nice things 

Don't know how they can be forced to sell unless government sanctions are placed on NUFC a la Chelsea. The UAE and KSA are in a military coalition also, so if they place sanctions due to Yemen that gives them another problem in Manchester City. 

Even still, all I wanted was Ashley out. If PIF have sanctions placed upon them and they are forced to sell then fair enough but until then, who knows. 

Yes that's what I think would happen, Saudi will sell NUFC because they are being pressured by the football fans in all of England. The FA will force them too I think. It either they sell NUFC or risk it being taken by the FA/Government.

I think they will focus their investment on another league, Barceloba maybe....?

2 minutes ago, HaydnNUFC said:

Don't know how they can be forced to sell unless government sanctions are placed on NUFC a la Chelsea. The UAE and KSA are in a military coalition also, so if they place sanctions due to Yemen that gives them another problem in Manchester City. 

Even still, all I wanted was Ashley out. If PIF have sanctions placed upon them and they are forced to sell then fair enough but until then, who knows. 

The sanctions will never happen against either the KSA or UAE as long as there are billions of pounds of trade between the two countries and the UK. All the human rights issues have always been in place (even worse than today in previous decades) and trade has still always continued (no matter which political party is in power). There is now also a bigger reliance on KSA oil, now that the sanctions against Russia have been implemented (BJ is going to KSA to ask for more oil reserves). You also saw the Foreign Office defending the relationship with PIF today in the commons as another indication of the trade relationship. Unless KSA invade Europe or somewhere similar, then nothing will change. 

11 minutes ago, veriaqa said:

Yes that's what I think would happen, Saudi will sell NUFC because they are being pressured by the football fans in all of England. The FA will force them too I think. It either they sell NUFC or risk it being taken by the FA/Government.

I think they will focus their investment on another league, Barceloba maybe....?

You're not very good at trying to be a WUM mind [emoji38]

3 hours ago, NWMag said:

Football ownership is obviously the hot topic at the moment and the journos can’t help but talk about us. 

Is anybody else worried that changes come into effect and our owners are forced to sell? 

Or is it a case of we are safe now as they are in place already? 

Part of me feels I shouldn’t worry, but then this is Newcastle and we aren’t allowed nice things 

The optics of the UK forcing a major trade partner to sell would be terrible. You'd be naive to rule it out for good, but as MPs have said, PIF invests in multiple UK sectors. Fancing off sport won't look good.

Err, PIF aren’t selling us. I think it’s quite clear the plans are long term for all parties given what AS has been saying. 

Also, despite the newspapers looking for cheap rage clicks, the Saudis remain a key partner for the UK and in fact we know Bojo lobbied the PL to approve the takeover. 

Think people are underestimating the way the political landscape can change. For sure our short and medium term interests are probably safe, but in the long term, we’re at risk from a chain of events that leads to the souring of relations between Saudi and the UK.

Guest HTT II

It’s easier to place sanctions on an individual than a company, PIF won’t receive any sanctions nor SA in our lifetimes unless they declare war on us or something and even then how would you administer it given they own shares in so many companies globally and British owned. Do you sanction those companies who they have shares in? I guarantee the powers that be didn’t really want to put sanctions on Abramovic, but they needed to be seen to be doing something…

Edited by HTT II