PIF, PCP, and RB Sports & Media

Yorkie

2 hours ago, Matt1892 said:

That’s fine and as I said, people don’t have to believe me and I’m happy to keep titbits around this sort of thing to myself going forward. The source is impeccable.

Castore are done after this season and adidas will replace them. All agreed. 

Are we paying Castore off? Any word on how we’re ending it early with them? 

6 minutes ago, LV said:

Realistically it has to be that. Maybe 4 years was too expensive, or negligible benefit, but maybe three years and CL qualification starts to make it worthwhile. TBF Adidas will sell far more kit as for those of my generation the Drei Streifen is a lot more desirable than Castore.

3 hours ago, Matt1892 said:

That’s fine and as I said, people don’t have to believe me and I’m happy to keep titbits around this sort of thing to myself going forward. The source is impeccable.

Castore are done after this season and adidas will replace them. All agreed. 

TBF the source being impeccable is difficult to verify when both the source and the poster are anonymous.  Though of course if you're right we won't have to wait until next summer to have it confirmed - it will leak shortly if this is the case (as it was with Fun88)

19 hours ago, simonsays said:

Not sure how, the landlords signed up to pay monthly rent. When covid struck the Reubens gave them a discount on the proviso they sign up to five year leases, “…..offered its estimated 850 tenants a Covid discount on condition that they extended their leases for five years”.

Some 250 refused and took it to arbitration and lost, they where told to pay backdated rent, “To take on Wellington, about 250 tenants formed a pressure group led by Nick Holden and Kate Ahrens of the Geese and Fountain pub in Croxton Kerrial near Grantham in Lincolnshire. These tenants refused the company’s deal, and arbitrators have now ruled that many of them will have to pay rent in full.”

Landlord’s weren’t obliged to do anything to help out tenants during covid, looks like the Reubens offered a fair deal but some people didn’t want it and in fact where looking to get off paying rent which they signed up to pay. Not sure sure how the Reubens are the bad guys in this one and people feel they can skip out on their obligations?

33 minutes ago, Nucasol said:

Realistically it has to be that. Maybe 4 years was too expensive, or negligible benefit, but maybe three years and CL qualification starts to make it worthwhile. TBF Adidas will sell far more kit as for those of my generation the Drei Streifen is a lot more desirable than Castore.

The adidas stuff was much better quality as well

1 hour ago, LV said:

The conversation didn’t go in to that level of detail but I would presume so.

Castore are not stupid, they would rather get around the table and have a conversation about bringing it to an end by mutual agreement than get in to any sort of battle with us over this, considering who the majority shareholders of the club are and the benefits of a good working relationship with them.

5 hours ago, Stifler said:

Hardly. They got a scrap metal business that hit the jackpot when the Soviet Union collapsed. One of them also bought the biggest carpet shop in the U.K. for next to nothing when it went into administration.

They also bought property cheaply in London and sold it on to rich Russians after the collapse of the Soviet Union.

One of them never even finished high school.

They massively lucked out, and would be worth nowhere near as much as they are now if the Soviet Union didn’t collapse.

There is good fortune or outright luck behind most success stories. If Barnes and Noble had built an operationally efficient online store in the late 90s then Amazon probably doesn’t exist. If Blockbuster had done just one of a few things differently Netflix likely goes out of business. Nike is a very different company if Michael Jordan doesn’t become the greatest basketball player of all time. 

On 31/05/2023 at 08:09, AyeDubbleYoo said:

And Los Angeles has two football clubs worth a billion?!

Closed leagues sky rocket the value of clubs. The Washington Redskins are about to be sold for like 17 Newcastles. 

It’s why they really really wanted the ESL. 

1 hour ago, cubaricho said:

Closed leagues sky rocket the value of clubs. The Washington Redskins are about to be sold for like 17 Newcastles. 

It’s why they really really wanted the ESL. 

Makes you appreciate PIF buying us regardless of all the hurdles put in the way. Also makes me thankful that we aren't a closed league, probably what has helped make the Premier the most popular football league in the world.

3 minutes ago, Ameritoon said:

The franchise fees are included in every club's value, too. It's all pretty much artificially inflated.

My point is though, if you wanted to create a team in the MLS, it’s going to cost you about twice as much as it was to buy us, just to get your foot in the door.

You have to remember that the MLS now want teams to play in stadiums that are preferably football/soccer specific, and only allow you to share a multi sports stadium if it’s of high quality.

San Diego are ok because they can share a Collage stadium.

Anyone else is possibly looking at another few hundred million to $1bn for a new stadium on top. I know NYCFC play in a baseball stadium, but the MLS have apparently been pissed off with that, and are now clamping down on new teams not having stadiums lined up.

To put it into perspective, Man City created NYCFC so they could have a feeder club. If our owners wanted to do that for us now, then they would be paying the same as they did for us, plus Southampton on top. They would then need to buy a stadium, players, and a coaching team on top of that.

Inflated fees or not, the prices are insane for an MLS team now, in 2007 MLSE paid less than $10m in expansion fee’s for Toronto FC.