PIF, PCP, and RB Sports & Media

Yorkie

1 hour ago, Mattoon said:

I'm pretty sure they signed legally binding documentation in the wording of the state would not be involved in running NUFC, not that they were a separate entity.

Correct. Basically that the government wouldn’t directly interfere with the club. 

The “separation” thing has always been a dumbed down red herring pushed by the media. PIF is and always has been unequivocally an instrumentality of the KSA. 

I'm yet to see any valid legal argument as to why PIF, including any politically exposed person who works within PIF, should not own or be a director of a PL football club. Because that's what it boils down to. It's not against the law or PL rules as far as I'm aware. Any ideas?

6 minutes ago, Tiresias said:

If he is a part of the government though how isn't anything he does not direct intereference?

You see it a lot in Government, non-executive boards, etc. YAR must only act in his capacity as the chair of PIF in relation to NUFC, he has to leave his KSA ministerial duties at the door.

It doesn't really make much sense though because PIF are ultimately acting in KSA's interests, as an instrument to the state. There will be lots of semantic like "direct influence"  in the document text.

@Bada BingOwners are meant to pass Fit and Proper Persons test (Owners and Directors test as it's called now) which includes this they have to sign up to the rules including this

'I have not provided any false, misleading or inaccurate information to the Board of the Premier League relating to my compliance with Rule F.1'

So simply saying you are not part of the Saudi Government and then being it is a breach of premier league rules before you get into whether governments should

Edited by Tiresias

You look at ministers in our government sitting on boards, awarding contracts to mates.

The presence of a minister on the board, even on companies with government funding, doesn't mean the government is running the business.

Technically.

In reality, we all know it's a lot more likely there's Saudi influence indirectly.

Also, there are far more important things for Amnesty International to be doing than this.

36 minutes ago, Paully said:

How many pages on the SMB about this?! 

All the pages

Edit: Just checked, 15 pages since yesterday

Edit: They also have more posts about our documentary than us 

Edited by Mattoon

26 minutes ago, Tiresias said:

If he is a part of the government though how isn't anything he does not direct intereference?

I don't think Yasir Al Rumayyan's appointment to the board was ever a specific issue. The PL's issue (confirmed in the letter published in the High Court case) was with PIF itself and requiring the Saudi state to go through the owners and directors test because of the state control of PIF.

It seems that in the end the PL accepted assurances that the Saudi state would not interfere in the running of the club, not that they were separate, which they clearly are not. Al Rumayyan and this new director's position in the government makes no difference to that.

14 minutes ago, Mattoon said:

All the pages

Edit: Just checked, 15 pages since yesterday

Edit: They also have more posts about our documentary than us 

I assume they're all going to be devastated if this "vile regime" are forced to sell-up? They surely aren't happy at the prospect of it happening....................!

22 minutes ago, Paully said:

I assume they're all going to be devastated if this "vile regime" are forced to sell-up? They surely aren't happy at the prospect of it happening....................!

They're going to be even more devastated when they reach 100 plus pages and realise fuck all is going to happen

I guess someone, either us or the PL will have to make some sort of statement, the other clubs wont exactly let it die down will they, I don't think anything will come of it but someone will have to say something about it.

15 minutes ago, Geogaddi said:

I guess someone, either us or the PL will have to make some sort of statement, the other clubs wont exactly let it die down will they, I don't think anything will come of it but someone will have to say something about it.

I’m the opposite, it will get talked about probably today and tomorrow in the media, then it will die down over a weekend of football and disappear again for a few months 

28 minutes ago, Geogaddi said:

The business and legal agreements of the club has got fuck all to do with the other clubs. It was exactly the same when the other clubs were complaining of not being informed at the time the takeover occurred. The agreement between NUFC and the Premier League is legally confidential to those two parties 

What are most thinking when Amanda is referring to we cant afford to have a dud player?

Lots will be shifted out in the summer? Or the ones coming in need to be well scouted and fit like Pope, Bruno, Botman have instantly?

Or both?

2 hours ago, Jackie Broon said:

I don't think Yasir Al Rumayyan's appointment to the board was ever a specific issue. The PL's issue (confirmed in the letter published in the High Court case) was with PIF itself and requiring the Saudi state to go through the owners and directors test because of the state control of PIF.

It seems that in the end the PL accepted assurances that the Saudi state would not interfere in the running of the club, not that they were separate, which they clearly are not. Al Rumayyan and this new director's position in the government makes no difference to that.

Yeah I guess that does make sense I just am unsure we are privy to all the details on what the promise of the Saudi government not to be involved with the club are, if it stipulates that no member of the saudi government is to be on our board then this does create a problem. 

I'm not trying to be mr negative, but everyone clinging to legal interpretations is all very well but the real world doesn't work like that, clearly a bunch of stakeholders in the premier league are desperate to take any opportunity to obstruct us and they will carry as stakeholders a certain level of power and authority to do so. If this was happening to another club you bet I would be outraged so I don't feel able to sit calmly here and pretend oh yes saudi arabia owning a club is total brilliant, of course football shouldn't have allowed it same as it shouldn't have allowed ashley to own us, or chelsea to be owned by a russian oligarch or Man City by Sheik Mansour. It's all completely mad and then now they are trying to pretend they give a shit who owns a club long after the horse has bolted they end up in some ambiguous compromise where it's ok the mags who are totally owned by saudi arabia are fine cos we're going to pretend they aren't. 

This is all to say I doubt anything will happen, too much money and all that, but let's not pretend half the league won't miss any opportunity to shaft us. 

1 minute ago, mighty__mag said:

What are most thinking when Amanda is referring to we cant afford to have a dud player?

Lots will be shifted out in the summer? Or the ones coming in need to be well scouted and fit like Pope, Bruno, Botman have instantly?

Or both?

The latter. It's the party line that every player has to be well scouted and we can't just blow our load on anyone.

23 minutes ago, Tiresias said:

Yeah I guess that does make sense I just am unsure we are privy to all the details on what the promise of the Saudi government not to be involved with the club are, if it stipulates that no member of the saudi government is to be on our board then this does create a problem. 

I'm not trying to be mr negative, but everyone clinging to legal interpretations is all very well but the real world doesn't work like that, clearly a bunch of stakeholders in the premier league are desperate to take any opportunity to obstruct us and they will carry as stakeholders a certain level of power and authority to do so. If this was happening to another club you bet I would be outraged so I don't feel able to sit calmly here and pretend oh yes saudi arabia owning a club is total brilliant, of course football shouldn't have allowed it same as it shouldn't have allowed ashley to own us, or chelsea to be owned by a russian oligarch or Man City by Sheik Mansour. It's all completely mad and then now they are trying to pretend they give a shit who owns a club long after the horse has bolted they end up in some ambiguous compromise where it's ok the mags who are totally owned by saudi arabia are fine cos we're going to pretend they aren't. 

This is all to say I doubt anything will happen, too much money and all that, but let's not pretend half the league won't miss any opportunity to shaft us. 

I think that's fair enough, if other clubs think they have a valid case to bring us down, let them get on with it. At this point I am not going to give it too much thought and am happy to leave it to the legal eagles. In the meantime I will continue to enjoy the progress we are making on the pitch and the feelgood factor through the city as a whole.

Reading that Guardian article about the other clubs being furious. Honestly man. The fucking gall and self interest. Money on it being Spurs or Liverpool. Really can’t wait for us to   push on and dominate in the next few years. 

1 hour ago, mighty__mag said:

Or both?

I think it's more of a comment on that we as a club need to be shrewd in our signings and make sure they are able to slot in to their role within the squad. Basically just saying we need to do a good job of buying a player when hamstrung by FFP.

We just need to ride out the next few years - become a much bigger club and a much better prospect than we are / were pre-takeover so that whatever happens we'll likely fall into the hands of someone who wants to continue pushing us, rather than being linked with fake syndicates from Singapore / the US. When we're at that point we can chill a little.

Saying that, fuck the PL and fuck the 'big six' whinges.

I'm sure this came up a few months ago and some of those journalists thought it was s gotcha moment.

Maybe I'm completely getting it wrong but at the time the takeover went through the agreement was that the state of SA would not run the club or influence it day to day.

I don't think it was ever suggested that PIF has absolutely nothing to do with the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia, it would be ridiculous for anyone to even suggest that, it's literally how they got their money.

Essentially as long as MBS or other influential ministers are not calling Amanda etc and telling them to do X, Y and Z then we are all good.