Eddie Howe

InspectorCoarse

1 hour ago, wormy said:

This guy got freedom of the city yet? 

Funnily enough...

1126836968_Screenshot_20221023_2131533.thumb.jpg.659f783e0925cbd18e06e56b80d98cea.jpg

From my lass's dad. It's true, he has said it before, he was saying it at the end of last season. I reckon if you asked him who he loves more, Eddie Howe or his sons, there'd be an awkward pause.

31 minutes ago, LV said:

Remember when we had Steve Stone, Andy Woodman and John Carver planning training sessions over a plate of beans on toast in the canteen? 

We’ve come so far 

The good old days

1 hour ago, Danh1 said:

Going to retire a club legend at Bournemouth and NUFC. Hope he’s here for years to come.

As Merhdad and Amanda said, he’s our Alex Ferguson. 

Please don't compare him to that foul mouthed disgusting man.  Ferguson I mean.  Eddie Howe is an absolute gentleman and a fantastic football tactician.  I can only think of Pep Guediola (spelling) that is a better manager in the Premier league.

11 hours ago, Cronky said:

Never mind that. I'm thinking he's knocking on the door of Ferguson, Clough and Mourinho. Seriously.

On paper, this squad should be nowhere near the top four.

Thats a fair point regarding current position, but he's got a  long way to go to be considered in the same light as Ferguson, Clough and Mourinho. We've not really had a bad run since he started, and how he deals with 3 or 4  losses on the bounce will be more revealing 

Lack of quality in the squad eventually caught up to them, you need to keep moving to stay still in the league and if you look at the squad he had it doesn't exactly scream premier league quality. 

One has to keep in mind he went straight from playing to managing, he has said he barely had any time to develop away from the game just had to learn on the job. He said he used the gap between bournemouth and us to learn other coaching methods and develop the bits he never had a chance to before and I think that shows, I was a bit concerned he would be a little tactically old school still when he joined, but here we are with a very modern high press (which isn't as simple to implement as people think it's not just mindless running around it's about the players all knowing when to press and where on pitch etc), with Burn acting as a sort of inverted full back so our shape in posession and out of posession is quite different. 

Also here he will be able to keep refreshing the players regularly to stop things going stale, which he won't have had resources before. It also wouldn't shock me to see a drop-off after a period though. Managers do struggle, and they tend to get sacked then or given resources to refresh job. Look at Klopp now Liverpool look a bit lost. He will likely come through though. Partially it's about a managers authority, if squad are sick of him and think he'll be got rid of they will probably be very hard to motivate again. Look at Ferguson though don't think any of the players ever thought they'd outlast him so he never lost that authority. He also refreshed his backroom staff to keep up to date with tactics etc and have fresh new ideas.

Longevity is weird because in effect only a handful in the league ever even close to achieve it. Financially underperforming is so disasterous for most clubs they can't write off a season. As positive of it all is, Eddie's job will be in trouble if he never gets us into top 4 past the targets he will know. 

My only concern about Howe would be the risk of burnout. He clearly loves the job, but hopefully he's able to take the odd break due to the intensity he brings to everything.

When he started, we were totally in the clarts, it was nerve shredding and he was responsible for everything, from recruitment, to training, to man-management, to dealing with the press etc. I'd have slept for a month after that first season.

Glad there's more of a team around him now as that wasn't sustainable.

18 minutes ago, Abacus said:

My only concern about Howe would be the risk of burnout. He clearly loves the job, but hopefully he's able to take the odd break due to the intensity he brings to everything.

When he started, we were totally in the clarts, it was nerve shredding and he was responsible for everything, from recruitment, to training, to man-management, to dealing with the press etc. I'd have slept for a month after that first season.

Got a nice 5 week break soon 

Don't think enough is mentioned about how good he is at signing good blokes as well as players. All the signings seem likeable, honest professionals that really get the club and city. I think Fraser and Burn were saying a while back on Sky Sports how much the likes of Trippier and Wood (for all his limitations on the pitch) are having impacts off the pitch. Good results and atmosphere clearly help, but having a very likeable bunch of players that seem to get on it and not have ego problems seems to be helping a lot here.

57 minutes ago, Abacus said:

Absolutely this.

I spent 2min 31 seconds looking at graphs of Field tilts and xpeg, or whatever the fuck, and my head nearly blew off. 

Howe must be fucking riddled with OCD

2 hours ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

I think he looks a lot more settled and relaxed than when he first arrived. Understandably of course. 

He won't be running the whole club in the future either, we're building top teams in every area. 

well his missus has moved up hasnt she. ;)

Interesting bit on MNF just now. Carragher seemed pretty complimentary overall. The style and stats show how different Howe has us playing. Dyche seemed almost passive aggressive with his praise. Didn’t really get what he was on about. 

I did find it odd that they were showing how passive we were under Bruce. But then when it came to a clip to use for comparison it was ‘we have to go right back to 2017 when Rafa Benitez was manager.’  No, no we don’t. We were like that every week under Bruce FFS. 

I think Dyche meant how expressive we are under Howe. Under Bruce and Rafa there was very little attacking mindset. Limited in players all pushing forward and pushing the opposition back. We liked to counter attack under both of those mangers with obviously mixed results. 

Under Howe its push high and express flair and attacking mentality even late on in the game. Still like to counter attack but how Dyche was saying its like kids in a sweet shop was quite a good explanation imo, that's why we're seeing the performances from Miggy etc, they just love how things are at the minute and a free to play how they want while at the same time sticking to a very organised game plan. 

It's so unbelievably good to watch and must be incredible to play considering how they were told to play under previous managers. 

2 minutes ago, duo said:

Debatable. 1.9 PPG vs 1.75, much longer period. well clear of Man Utd, and even further away from all of the 'lesser' pack.

It really is staggering to see us winning 17 of the last 30 games (excluding the Watford draw in the first league match of 22). We've not had this kind of form for about 20 years, not even that one good year under Pardew.

13 hours ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

I think he looks a lot more settled and relaxed than when he first arrived. Understandably of course. 

He won't be running the whole club in the future either, we're building top teams in every area. 

God damn I’m so fucking stoked. 

Joelinton: was about to be rode out of town.  Scorned object of derision who has been transformed into a near elite midfielder who is a leader on the pitch and a genuine good guy.

Miggy: ran around like a muppett, scared of his own shadow.  Now plays with bags of confidence and scores for fun.

Longstaff:  raised up by Rafa only to sink back into the quagmire under Brewce.  He's not a world beater by any stretch but used correctly can be relied upon for a quality shift.

Murphy: another headless chicken who has been given proper direction and is now a serviceable PL player.

Shelvey: fat, lazy and disinterested.  Under Howe he has gotten fit and has a bit of fire.  The old Shelvey would have milked the injury until the WC at least.  It was great to see him back

Schar: Brewce had him on the scrap heap.  He's back where he belongs.

That's six guys.  They were lost money.  They weren't contributing and nobody wanted them.  Under Howe they have confidence and play with purpose.  Just like new signings, indeed, with no extra cost.  Brilliant work.

3 minutes ago, Consortium of one said:

Joelinton: was about to be rode out of town.  Scorned object of derision who has been transformed into a near elite midfielder who is a leader on the pitch and a genuine good guy.

Miggy: ran around like a muppett, scared of his own shadow.  Now plays with bags of confidence and scores for fun.

Longstaff:  raised up by Rafa only to sink back into the quagmire under Brewce.  He's not a world beater by any stretch but used correctly can be relied upon for a quality shift.

Murphy: another headless chicken who has been given proper direction and is now a serviceable PL player.

Shelvey: fat, lazy and disinterested.  Under Howe he has gotten fit and has a bit of fire.  The old Shelvey would have milked the injury until the WC at least.  It was great to see him back

Schar: Brewce had him on the scrap heap.  He's back where he belongs.

That's six guys.  They were lost money.  They weren't contributing and nobody wanted them.  Under Howe they have confidence and play with purpose.  Just like new signings, indeed, with no extra cost.  Brilliant work.

Good write up on them, would disagree about Murphy being a serviceable PL player though, he’s awful and championship level.