Eddie Howe

InspectorCoarse

27 minutes ago, STM said:

Caulkin is alright man. He got himself way to involved in the takeover hype and it cost himself some street cred, but ultimately you can trust him to analyse what's going on at the club to a high standard.

Thought it had more to do with him backing Bruce?

Yeah, I didn't care about him getting a few things wrong about the takeover - everybody did.

Not criticising one of the worst managers we've ever had? Nope.

A serious blemish against a usually otherwise excellent sports writer.

The thing about Caulkin is that he goes for ‘grumpy old curmudgeon’ on podcasts and lacks the wit to quite pull it off, so just makes him sound a bit like hard work. His writing is fine though, if a bit over lyrical at times. 

28 minutes ago, Abacus said:

Yeah, I didn't care about him getting a few things wrong about the takeover - everybody did.

Not criticising one of the worst managers we've ever had? Nope.

A serious blemish against a usually otherwise excellent sports writer.

Yeah that's it. No beef at all re the takeover stuff. It's just that I don't think the fanzine game really gets the best out of him. 

7 hours ago, Weezertron said:

Edwards was pro Bruce to the highest degree.

George wouldn’t ever say anything negative about Bruce. We put George on a pedestal but he turned out to be in the boys club protecting him. 

I'm not sure that you are right about that.  I can't remember Caulkin defending Bruce, quite the opposite.

I don’t think he ever defended Bruce but IIRC whenever the subject came up he would turn it to how hard a job it was etc. I listened to Pod on the Tyne and they were always fairly neutral about him.

He is clearly Bruce’s mate and therefore probably was in a difficult position. 

Yes I don’t recall that at all. I think he had a hard time after the take over stuff and withdrew a bit. Think he feels compromised on the human rights stuff too. Not so prominent on the social media as a consequence 

Caulkin absolutely pulled his punches when it came to Bruce. Anyone saying anything other than "the bloke is a complete fucking arsehole and terrible at his job" was ultimately doing the same. The Athletic lot were hardly critical of him at all, it was only ever just collectively shit, no finger-pointing. 

6 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

In a way the only way to stay a good journalist is to stay an outsider, but then the flipside is that you'll probably never get anywhere 

In general the biggest problem with journalism in this country is that access takes priority over truth in every way. Can't get access without disproportionately representing the interests of the people giving you the access.

14 minutes ago, Yorkie said:

Caulkin absolutely pulled his punches when it came to Bruce. Anyone saying anything other than "the bloke is a complete fucking arsehole and terrible at his job" was ultimately doing the same. The Athletic lot were hardly critical of him at all, it was only ever just collectively shit, no finger-pointing. 

I may be wrong but didn't Caulkin always question Bruce's team selection?  Such as "why is Murphy/Ritchie playing as full backs"?  He often questioned that Bruce hadn't a clue where Almirons position was  on the pitch amongst others.

17 hours ago, Hanshithispantz said:

34 the other way too, and that obviously excludes the 6 times we've hit the woodwork in October [emoji38]

Total shots on goal, conceded 44 to our 93.

Still just been behind in games for 81 minutes all season.

23 minutes v Man City

52 minutes v Wolves

1 minute v Liverpool

5 minutes v Bournemouth 

Thought I should post this here as well as 7thometer. Quite astonishing the numbers EH has achieved thus far. 

Just looked detail at our record under Eddie Howe and his merry band. Two time periods. Since, first his official first game in charge, Norwich at home. Second, allowing him a six game period/month or so to have an influence, since January this year. 

First/Total: P38, W19, D10, L 9, Pts 67; F53, A43, GD10. Points per game (PPG) 1.76.

2022 only:

P32, W18, D8, L6, Pts 62; F49, A30, GD 19. PPG 1.94.

In the 30 EPL seasons to date, 1.94 PPG would have been enough for a 2nd place finish on 6 occasions; 3rd  16 times; 4th 26 times; and enough for 5th on 29 of the 30. If within one season, it would represent our second best return (2.05 ppg in 95-96 was our best;  2nd in 96-97 was less, 1.79ppg). 

The above is remarkable, outstanding, choose your word, at anytime. Taking into account where we were when he took over. The abject performances and record low points for us, there can never have been a greater transformation at this football club, nor many, if any, others. 

Big part of the success so far this season has to come back to the pre-season.

Howe used the entire squad so well, there wasn't a clear 'first' and 'second' team in the friendlies, it was always a mix to make sure that we had as close to two equally good teams as possible in case of injuries. It's really no surprise that our "lesser" players have been able to keep up when they've had to step in, the seeds were placed long before the season proper even started. 

20 hours ago, Coffee_Johnny said:

Thought I should post this here as well as 7thometer. Quite astonishing the numbers EH has achieved thus far. 

Just looked detail at our record under Eddie Howe and his merry band. Two time periods. Since, first his official first game in charge, Norwich at home. Second, allowing him a six game period/month or so to have an influence, since January this year. 

First/Total: P38, W19, D10, L 9, Pts 67; F53, A43, GD10. Points per game (PPG) 1.76.

2022 only:

P32, W18, D8, L6, Pts 62; F49, A30, GD 19. PPG 1.94.

In the 30 EPL seasons to date, 1.94 PPG would have been enough for a 2nd place finish on 6 occasions; 3rd  16 times; 4th 26 times; and enough for 5th on 29 of the 30. If within one season, it would represent our second best return (2.05 ppg in 95-96 was our best;  2nd in 96-97 was less, 1.79ppg). 

The above is remarkable, outstanding, choose your word, at anytime. Taking into account where we were when he took over. The abject performances and record low points for us, there can never have been a greater transformation at this football club, nor many, if any, others. 

Absolutely agree with you. I've seen comparisons with Sir Bob and Kevin Keegan, but Eddie's achievement dwarfs anything we've seen before. 

Moreover, the way it's been achieved is remarkable. Even after the January window, I still thought the best bet with our squad would be to play defensively, like Rafa and Bruce, but he's done it by playing on the front foot.

1 minute ago, Cronky said:

Absolutely agree with you. I've seen comparisons with Sir Bob and Kevin Keegan, but Eddie's achievement dwarfs anything we've seen before. 

Moreover, the way it's been achieved is remarkable. Even after the January window, I still thought the best bet with our squad would be to play defensively, like Rafa and Bruce, but he's done it by playing on the front foot.

???? Our gaffa! 

1 hour ago, Cronky said:

Laughable nonsense.

Eddie's doing a fantastic job, but don't let your grudge against Keegan get in the way of the facts.

14 minutes ago, bigfella said:

Laughable nonsense.

Eddie's doing a fantastic job, but don't let your grudge against Keegan get in the way of the facts.

Ha ha, I've long since retired from all those bruising Keegan debates.

Everyone's being nice right now, so Iet's leave it at that. :)