Eddie Howe

InspectorCoarse

17 hours ago, Hanshithispantz said:

34 the other way too, and that obviously excludes the 6 times we've hit the woodwork in October [emoji38]

Total shots on goal, conceded 44 to our 93.

Still just been behind in games for 81 minutes all season.

23 minutes v Man City

52 minutes v Wolves

1 minute v Liverpool

5 minutes v Bournemouth 

Thought I should post this here as well as 7thometer. Quite astonishing the numbers EH has achieved thus far. 

Just looked detail at our record under Eddie Howe and his merry band. Two time periods. Since, first his official first game in charge, Norwich at home. Second, allowing him a six game period/month or so to have an influence, since January this year. 

First/Total: P38, W19, D10, L 9, Pts 67; F53, A43, GD10. Points per game (PPG) 1.76.

2022 only:

P32, W18, D8, L6, Pts 62; F49, A30, GD 19. PPG 1.94.

In the 30 EPL seasons to date, 1.94 PPG would have been enough for a 2nd place finish on 6 occasions; 3rd  16 times; 4th 26 times; and enough for 5th on 29 of the 30. If within one season, it would represent our second best return (2.05 ppg in 95-96 was our best;  2nd in 96-97 was less, 1.79ppg). 

The above is remarkable, outstanding, choose your word, at anytime. Taking into account where we were when he took over. The abject performances and record low points for us, there can never have been a greater transformation at this football club, nor many, if any, others. 

Big part of the success so far this season has to come back to the pre-season.

Howe used the entire squad so well, there wasn't a clear 'first' and 'second' team in the friendlies, it was always a mix to make sure that we had as close to two equally good teams as possible in case of injuries. It's really no surprise that our "lesser" players have been able to keep up when they've had to step in, the seeds were placed long before the season proper even started. 

20 hours ago, Coffee_Johnny said:

Thought I should post this here as well as 7thometer. Quite astonishing the numbers EH has achieved thus far. 

Just looked detail at our record under Eddie Howe and his merry band. Two time periods. Since, first his official first game in charge, Norwich at home. Second, allowing him a six game period/month or so to have an influence, since January this year. 

First/Total: P38, W19, D10, L 9, Pts 67; F53, A43, GD10. Points per game (PPG) 1.76.

2022 only:

P32, W18, D8, L6, Pts 62; F49, A30, GD 19. PPG 1.94.

In the 30 EPL seasons to date, 1.94 PPG would have been enough for a 2nd place finish on 6 occasions; 3rd  16 times; 4th 26 times; and enough for 5th on 29 of the 30. If within one season, it would represent our second best return (2.05 ppg in 95-96 was our best;  2nd in 96-97 was less, 1.79ppg). 

The above is remarkable, outstanding, choose your word, at anytime. Taking into account where we were when he took over. The abject performances and record low points for us, there can never have been a greater transformation at this football club, nor many, if any, others. 

Absolutely agree with you. I've seen comparisons with Sir Bob and Kevin Keegan, but Eddie's achievement dwarfs anything we've seen before. 

Moreover, the way it's been achieved is remarkable. Even after the January window, I still thought the best bet with our squad would be to play defensively, like Rafa and Bruce, but he's done it by playing on the front foot.

1 minute ago, Cronky said:

Absolutely agree with you. I've seen comparisons with Sir Bob and Kevin Keegan, but Eddie's achievement dwarfs anything we've seen before. 

Moreover, the way it's been achieved is remarkable. Even after the January window, I still thought the best bet with our squad would be to play defensively, like Rafa and Bruce, but he's done it by playing on the front foot.

???? Our gaffa! 

1 hour ago, Cronky said:

Laughable nonsense.

Eddie's doing a fantastic job, but don't let your grudge against Keegan get in the way of the facts.

14 minutes ago, bigfella said:

Laughable nonsense.

Eddie's doing a fantastic job, but don't let your grudge against Keegan get in the way of the facts.

Ha ha, I've long since retired from all those bruising Keegan debates.

Everyone's being nice right now, so Iet's leave it at that. :)

While Howe obviously deserves a ton of praise, doesn't the "Schar, Wilson, Joelinton, WIllock, Miggy, Murphy, ... were here already" argument, basically what people say to counter the "big spending Newcastle" dismissal of Howe's achievement, actually mean we had the basis of a probably mid-table team to start with?

Some readers may be worried where I'm going with this, but our recent results only emphasize that we were second bottom a year ago not because we had an underfunded team of shit players but because Steve Bruce is a lazy and inept fraud of a manager. Ashley main failing was not in starving the team of resources but in employing such a yes-man plank in the most important position.

Barclays Manager shortlist

Mikel Arteta (ARS)
P5 W4 D1 L0 GD+9
Arsenal began the month with victories over Tottenham Hotspur and Liverpool, going through the month unbeaten and dropping only two points, maintaining their place at the top of the league.

Pep Guardiola (MCI)
P5 W4 D1 L0 GD+9
Guardiola's Manchester City side started October with a thrilling 6-3 derby win over Manchester United and kept the pressure on leaders Arsenal with four victories from their five matches in the month.

Eddie Howe (NEW)
P6 W5 D1 L0 GD+13
Newcastle United were top scorers in an unbeaten October, scoring four or more goals in half of their matches, including a 4-1 triumph at Fulham and a 5-1 home success over Brentford. They returned more points than any other side in the month to move into fourth place.

They've managed to get that wrong. Man City lost to Liverpool, so their October record is W4 D0 L1 , not W4 D1 L0

12 minutes ago, Stottie said:

While Howe obviously deserves a ton of praise, doesn't the "Schar, Wilson, Joelinton, WIllock, Miggy, Murphy, ... were here already" argument, basically what people say to counter the "big spending Newcastle" dismissal of Howe's achievement, actually mean we had the basis of a probably mid-table team to start with?

Some readers may be worried where I'm going with this, but our recent results only emphasize that we were second bottom a year ago not because we had an underfunded team of shit players but because Steve Bruce is a lazy and inept fraud of a manager. Ashley main failing was not in starving the team of resources but in employing such a yes-man plank in the most important position.

It's a bit of both, innit. Howe has performed miracles with a few of those players. Plus the new players have doubtless raised standards. 

27 minutes ago, Groundhog63 said:

Remember Bruce getting it and being photographed on his own, holding it like it was his very own massive kebab then Eddie winning it and getting photographed with the whole backroom team? 

Chalk n cheese

Screenshot_20221103-131518_Messenger.thumb.jpg.7ebd382dfe087fc96beed18c42580c73.jpg