Eddie Howe

InspectorCoarse

While Howe obviously deserves a ton of praise, doesn't the "Schar, Wilson, Joelinton, WIllock, Miggy, Murphy, ... were here already" argument, basically what people say to counter the "big spending Newcastle" dismissal of Howe's achievement, actually mean we had the basis of a probably mid-table team to start with?

Some readers may be worried where I'm going with this, but our recent results only emphasize that we were second bottom a year ago not because we had an underfunded team of shit players but because Steve Bruce is a lazy and inept fraud of a manager. Ashley main failing was not in starving the team of resources but in employing such a yes-man plank in the most important position.

Barclays Manager shortlist

Mikel Arteta (ARS)
P5 W4 D1 L0 GD+9
Arsenal began the month with victories over Tottenham Hotspur and Liverpool, going through the month unbeaten and dropping only two points, maintaining their place at the top of the league.

Pep Guardiola (MCI)
P5 W4 D1 L0 GD+9
Guardiola's Manchester City side started October with a thrilling 6-3 derby win over Manchester United and kept the pressure on leaders Arsenal with four victories from their five matches in the month.

Eddie Howe (NEW)
P6 W5 D1 L0 GD+13
Newcastle United were top scorers in an unbeaten October, scoring four or more goals in half of their matches, including a 4-1 triumph at Fulham and a 5-1 home success over Brentford. They returned more points than any other side in the month to move into fourth place.

They've managed to get that wrong. Man City lost to Liverpool, so their October record is W4 D0 L1 , not W4 D1 L0

12 minutes ago, Stottie said:

While Howe obviously deserves a ton of praise, doesn't the "Schar, Wilson, Joelinton, WIllock, Miggy, Murphy, ... were here already" argument, basically what people say to counter the "big spending Newcastle" dismissal of Howe's achievement, actually mean we had the basis of a probably mid-table team to start with?

Some readers may be worried where I'm going with this, but our recent results only emphasize that we were second bottom a year ago not because we had an underfunded team of shit players but because Steve Bruce is a lazy and inept fraud of a manager. Ashley main failing was not in starving the team of resources but in employing such a yes-man plank in the most important position.

It's a bit of both, innit. Howe has performed miracles with a few of those players. Plus the new players have doubtless raised standards. 

27 minutes ago, Groundhog63 said:

Remember Bruce getting it and being photographed on his own, holding it like it was his very own massive kebab then Eddie winning it and getting photographed with the whole backroom team? 

Chalk n cheese

Screenshot_20221103-131518_Messenger.thumb.jpg.7ebd382dfe087fc96beed18c42580c73.jpg

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-11390627/Eddie-Howe-claims-believed-Newcastle-squad-fires-dig-Steve-Bruce.html

When asked if he believed those players were always better than people gave them credit for, Howe said: ‘Yes, I did. I had that belief internally that we'd got some really good players. I think my first impressions were genuine, a really willing group that wanted to be coached, that wanted help, so I felt that was a really good starting point.

‘I love coaching players and trying to improve them. From day one here, I sensed a really open group who wanted that work. I don’t feel we have bought the success we’re currently having. It has come from hard work and brilliant performances from the players. We’re just doing the best we can, day to day. It was a massive club in need of an injection of positivity and some good results.’

‘Down the years, I’ve learned never to underestimate players’ abilities given the right surroundings, conditions and confidence,’ he said. ‘I’ve seen it many times, players I’ve worked with at League Two level that have then been playing in the Championship a couple of years later when you wouldn’t have initially thought that possible.

16 minutes ago, nbthree3 said:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-11390627/Eddie-Howe-claims-believed-Newcastle-squad-fires-dig-Steve-Bruce.html

When asked if he believed those players were always better than people gave them credit for, Howe said: ‘Yes, I did. I had that belief internally that we'd got some really good players. I think my first impressions were genuine, a really willing group that wanted to be coached, that wanted help, so I felt that was a really good starting point.

‘I love coaching players and trying to improve them. From day one here, I sensed a really open group who wanted that work. I don’t feel we have bought the success we’re currently having. It has come from hard work and brilliant performances from the players. We’re just doing the best we can, day to day. It was a massive club in need of an injection of positivity and some good results.’

‘Down the years, I’ve learned never to underestimate players’ abilities given the right surroundings, conditions and confidence,’ he said. ‘I’ve seen it many times, players I’ve worked with at League Two level that have then been playing in the Championship a couple of years later when you wouldn’t have initially thought that possible.

They wouldn't have got there without you, Mr Howe :love:

23 minutes ago, nbthree3 said:

"...........I’ve learned never to underestimate players’ abilities given the right surroundings, conditions and confidence,’ he said. ‘I’ve seen it many times, players I’ve worked with at the bottom of the Premier that will be playing in the Champions League in a years time when you wouldn’t have initially thought that possible.

I read this

2 minutes ago, Yorkie said:

Another scandalous headline from a rag after the presser. They love painting him as some sort of belligerent guy with a chip on his shoulder when in reality it couldn't be further from the truth. 

Yep. Wasn't his intention at all.