Eddie Howe

InspectorCoarse

3 hours ago, Jackie Broon said:

Very unlikely yes, but not zero chance. I think the only thing that would make him take the job, if it becomes avaliable, is if he feels he has a patriotic duty to take it. I don't think there's zero chance of him thinking that.

Nope, there's not even the remotest chance that he will be tempted. Absolutely nothing will make him consider that job. Underneath that nice guy exterior is a very smart and calculating person and he knows better than anyone that he has landed the dream job in football. To give that up for the poisoned chalice of the England job would be complete madness. And Eddie Howe is definitely not mad.

11 minutes ago, Wandy said:

Nope, there's not even the remotest chance that he will be tempted. Absolutely nothing will make him consider that job. Underneath that nice guy exterior is a very smart and calculating person and he knows better than anyone that he has landed the dream job in football. To give that up for the poisoned chalice of the England job would be complete madness. And Eddie Howe is definitely not mad.

I agree that he would be highly unlikely to take the job, but sane people do mad things in the name of patriotism.

41 minutes ago, Jackie Broon said:

I agree that he would be highly unlikely to take the job, but sane people do mad things in the name of patriotism.

Nah, only stupid people do mad things in the name of patriotism. Eddie isnt a stupid person.

I'd bet the FA could offer to treble his NUFC wages and he'd still not be tempted.

12 minutes ago, Thomson Mouse said:

Howe won’t go in a million years.

He has the ability and the resources to be the most successful English manager of all time.

Not a chance it will happen.

Of course there's a chance it could happen, it's not something you can talk about in absolutes. He would be very likely to be offered the job and there is a chance, however small, that he would take it.

4 hours ago, Miggys First Goal said:

It’s nice having a manager that it seems everyone is clamouring for. 

Shame they didn’t feel that way when we had Bruce. 

Quite enjoying everyone wrap themselves in knots about how we’re only good because of money but Howe would be #1 candidate.

For wor Eddie to go from Newcastle fans being rather lukewarm when he joined to clenching their butt-cheeks at the prospect of losing him to England tells you everything you need to know about the amazing year he's had, and the sky truly is the limit at Newcastle under these owners. He'd be mad to leave us.

6 hours ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

Like we’ve discussed before, it’s not a job for top managers.

Howe would only be interested if he was sick of club management or couldn’t get a job. 

No idea who we would end up with if we ditched Southgate. I think they would insist on the person being English as well, so it would probably be a young manager or someone from the second tier. 

Steve Cooper is the obvious choice, given his FA background.

Not even remotely worried about England coming for him. He's a manager who seems to thrive in the day-to-day stuff, building a squad, preparing for each fixture in ridiculous detail and training his squad each day.

Managing a country seems like the exact gig he would never ever even consider. A game or 2 every 3 months? Fuck that :lol:

1 minute ago, BonesJones said:

He's basically won the lottery in terms of being a manager.

A club that's been stripped to the bare bones, with effectively a bottomless pit of cash. Dream football manager career anyway.

Not worried about England calling.

Well, not a bottomless pit of cash, at least not yet. They need to build up sellable assets and rake in sponsorship money. They do, however, seem to have a bottomless pit of cashflow which is good. I'm not worried either about England. He has a great setup here.

Yeah, I can't see Eddie being interested in the England job at this stage. He's in the middle of a strong personal mission with our club, and would be eager to see it through. Maybe later on, when he feels he's achieved all he can in club management.

Additionally, his style of management involves developing a close relationship with his players and steadily enhancing individual performances. A national team manager doesn't really get the chance to do that.

I'm not sure who the FA might go for after Southgate. He's laid down a new template. After the ill-fated experiments with managers from abroad, they will be keen to appoint someone who is thoroughly at home with the culture of English footballers. Looking at the Premiership table, there is only one British manager in the top 12 clubs - our man - so if we exclude him there's nobody making out a strong case. I'm not convinced about promoting someone from within the current England structure, as I think top players really want to see someone who has already proved themselves within the same environment as them. That promotion worked with Southgate, but he had a good, long playing career at the top level, which included 57 caps. He had that credibility.

1 hour ago, Cronky said:

Yeah, I can't see Eddie being interested in the England job at this stage. He's in the middle of a strong personal mission with our club, and would be eager to see it through. Maybe later on, when he feels he's achieved all he can in club management.

Additionally, his style of management involves developing a close relationship with his players and steadily enhancing individual performances. A national team manager doesn't really get the chance to do that.

I'm not sure who the FA might go for after Southgate. He's laid down a new template. After the ill-fated experiments with managers from abroad, they will be keen to appoint someone who is thoroughly at home with the culture of English footballers. Looking at the Premiership table, there is only one British manager in the top 12 clubs - our man - so if we exclude him there's nobody making out a strong case. I'm not convinced about promoting someone from within the current England structure, as I think top players really want to see someone who has already proved themselves within the same environment as them. That promotion worked with Southgate, but he had a good, long playing career at the top level, which included 57 caps. He had that credibility.

You forgot Potter, but he's not going to go with the wages he's on and the compensation that will be involved. I agree about Howe, he's not going to be interested due to the very reasons you state. Rogers maybe an option. 

15 minutes ago, et tu brute said:

You forgot Potter, but he's not going to go with the wages he's on and the compensation that will be involved. I agree about Howe, he's not going to be interested due to the very reasons you state. Rogers maybe an option. 

Yeah, my error. Potter might well be a possibility, though like Howe, I think he works through coaching and an intense personal involvement with his players.

However, my feeling is that things won't work out for him at Chelsea, where not getting into the CL means failure. Their recruitment strategy feels like a headless horse, and generating team spirit in that environment would be a challenge for any manager. So he may well become available at the end of the season.

It's all academic anyway. I'm sure if Southgate feels that he still has the appetite for another spell, the FA will give him the chance. Given the youth and potential in the squad, he'll be very reluctant to walk away from the challenge.