Eddie Howe

InspectorCoarse

The booing after the final whistle is so embarrassing, so much for just wanting a team that tries for a large portion of our fans. Deluded Geordies not so deluded comment after all. Hope these few games are a reality check to the people that think we should be fighting for a top 6 spot this season. No, Almiron, Fraser and Murphy didn't suddenly turn to top 6 players overnight after all.

That massive unsustainable run to end last season really raised the expectations too high, this squad can't be fixed in two transfer windows but we are making great progress.

Edited by Pata

The form last season really skewed the expectations of some and it’s unfortunate that some can’t see that, if you expected that form to continue because we further improved the squad then I don’t know what to tell you. We were poor today yes but this squad is still very weak at the top end of the pitch, if you believe this coach doesn’t have a plan of action on how to break down a low block then you are wrong.. but he’s only as good as the players he can put on the field. 

Sad that the more fickle knee jerky fans have already started but I expected it, if we don’t get a good run of results soon the emotion will gradually turn against him as it always does. He needs at least 2 more windows before we even know if he’s the right man to take us forward but he has all the attributes needed to do it. 

Edited by Nine

Booing is not on. 

I was fearful that we would lose the good atmosphere and momentum if we had a slow start to the season.  Last year the atmosphere won us points - I genuinely believe that. 

I think that’s gone now and it’s going to be an uphill battle to get it back. Eddie needs a little rethink.  Early goals are huge for us at SJP - always been that way. 

I think Eddie has done a fantastic job and is our future. BUT..he didn't back the ball playing CB today, he left Fraser on too long when he was clearly gassed and didn't switch to Wood soon enough.

What I expect is that he is his own biggest critic and that things will improve.

1 minute ago, The College Dropout said:

Booing is not on. 

I was fearful that we would lose the good atmosphere and momentum if we had a slow start to the season.  Last year the atmosphere won us points - I genuinely believe that. 

I think that’s gone now and it’s going to be an uphill battle to get it back. Eddie needs a little rethink.  Early goals are huge for us at SJP - always been that way. 

There’s already a stunning amount of complacency and entitlement in the stadium. Started creeping in at times last season once we looked safe, and today was probably the worst example of it. There has to be give and take, I understand that, but I’m already not enjoying going and we’re only a few games in. :lol:

Don’t think anything was helped by the enforced mourning, of course. Did we really have to only play somber/slow music pre-match and at half-time? Weirdest atmosphere I can recall during those periods because of that.

12 minutes ago, Elliottman said:

No, your accusation was they hadn’t prepared well enough for the game without having any knowledge of how they’ve prepared. Everything we learnt about him and his team is that they prepare immaculately, whether we have the quality to implement it is another thing but to accuse them of not preparing is pretty fucking ridiculous. 

You're wrapped around the axle on a specific interpretation of "prepare" here man. Is it more palatable for you if I switch that to "plan"? You can have a plan that's not good (yes, even Eddie Howe can). You can also not have a good plan B. And yes, you can have a good or great plan but lack the quality to implement it. To a degree all 3 were true today. You favor the 3rd option, I favor the first. We did not appear to go in with a specific plan to break them down, nor figure one out during the 90 minutes when whatever we did prepare didn't really work. Also our bench is shit.

Edited by thomas

4 minutes ago, maze said:

All you Howe fanboys and girls need to calm down. Seriously, it's perfectly legit questioning our form. At the end of the day it's Howe's responsibility. 

He did some absolutely remarkable work last season, I'll admit to it. Is it wrong to expect him to continue that form? Is it wrong to have expectations after strengthening the squad? No!

VAR, injuries, added time, whatever... we haven't preformed well enough at all. 

The form we have been showing the last three matches does not make us challange for top 7.

I think How can do a much better job with Willock and Bruno. The first kept scoring like no other under Bruce, and Bruno was on fire last season. 

We haven't won since Nottingham Forrest. If we don't win any of our next five matches I think the fans will turn against him. 

We have performed really well but we are lacking the quality to convert our possession to goals. Thinking last seasons form would carry to this season after we are still forced to start Fraser and Almiron while Murphy and Wood are the options off the bench is just simply unrealistic. Today was a worse performance than the Crystal Palace game but Bournemouth's bus was well organised and we still did enough to win that game on another day.

No idea what Bruno has done wrong either and everyone should have known that Willock's purple patch under Bruce wasn't sustainable. 

We've got a lot of players that are good enough for top 7 but far more who are more suited to Championship level. 

The fact that the arguments against Eddie today are that he should have brought Murphy and Wood on earlier sums up the state of the squad. 

2 minutes ago, Rich said:

There’s already a stunning amount of complacency and entitlement in the stadium. Started creeping in at times last season once we looked safe, and today was probably the worst example of it. There has to be give and take, I understand that, but I’m already not enjoying going and we’re only a few games in. :lol:

Don’t think anything was helped by the enforced mourning, of course. Did we really have to only play somber/slow music pre-match and at half-time? Weirdest atmosphere I can recall during those periods because of that.

Let’s be honest. SJP is a tough crowd. It’s rarely one to get behind a struggling team. That crowd needs to see goals. People are rocking up expecting 3-0. Going in at half/time 0-0 is going to create murmurs in the crowd. 

No need for the Spanish Inquisition, but not a good set of results so far.

It's all very good doing "evolution" but its not going to happen with Championship level wide players against an organized defence.

If we did spend all the budget that was available, then fair dos, the road ahead is a long one, but if we kept some money back based on Miggy's output in preseason, oh man what a headfake.

My only worry - and it is a minor one - is that we don’t know what the owners expectations are, nor how they will react to stretches of disappointing results.  And by the owners, I’m referring to PIF.

For me, Howe should be given a couple of years to build - we’re so much better than this time last year irrespective of money spent.  The bloke is clearly an excellent manager / coach.

12 minutes ago, Elliottman said:

No, your accusation was they hadn’t prepared well enough for the game

without having any knowledge of how they’ve prepared. Everything we learnt about him and his team is that they prepare immaculately, whether we have the quality to implement it is another thing but to accuse them of not preparing is pretty fucking ridiculous. 

You don't have to have personally witnessed the team preparing through the week to pass comment on the way they have set up and are playing once the game itself has commenced. That would be ridiculous.

it's perfectly valid to be thinking about what is happening tactically in the wake of a performance like that one. 

I respect what he's trying to do in building the side with possession but it just feels we're not quite there yet, personnel-wise. I feel like we're going to pick up more wins before the WC break away from home.

Be interesting to see if he mixes things up if Wilson is back before Maxi. 44fkin2?