Eddie Howe

InspectorCoarse

16 minutes ago, TorchyTBB said:

I still fully support Howe, but, why can't he switch the wingers during the game when things are not quite working out, even for 10 or 15 mins?  A basic tactical change that he never seems to try?

Probably because with the quality of our wingers, it really wouldn’t make a difference.

Just now, RobsonsWonderland said:

Think it would for our centre forwards

How so ? We get the ball wide to them and they either cut back and lay it off, or fail to take a man on and lose the ball, or cross it out or play. Don’t think it matters what side they are on, they just aren’t good enough.

8 minutes ago, nufcjb said:

Hopes he can see how useless crossing the ball into the box is for us. 

Those hit and hope crosses and speculative punts forward from midfield were definitely the most frustrating aspects of our play today. 

Edited by Barnes23

6 minutes ago, SUPERTOON said:

How so ? We get the ball wide to them and they either cut back and lay it off, or fail to take a man on and lose the ball, or cross it out or play. Don’t think it matters what side they are on, they just aren’t good enough.

Maxi and Miggy both have to cut back to cross on their strong foot.

I remember Maxi crossing for Wilson from the right last season to set up goals.

And I'm sure Miggy must be able to get one good cross in from the left!

There's an argument to say we should've won 5 of our 7 games but for bad luck/finishing/VAR.

We're regularly out scoring the opposition on XG which rarely happened under Bruce or even Rafa. Eventually, that will translate in to more points on the board.

Just like Bruce's results were unsustainable in his first two season, so are our current results but for very different reasons.

As for today, and it is easy with hindsight, but I hope Howe has learned that against a lesser opponent at home, playing Botman is a must. Burn did nothing wrong but Botman's speed of thought on the ball and passing ability was sorely missed.

Additionally, he should've started Longstaff over Willock. Longstaff could've played in the deepest midfield position and that would have released Bruno a bit more. Also, Willock would've given us some attacking impetus from the bench because the options we did have just aren't up to it.

As I say, easy to say with hindsight. For me, Howe is doing a fantastic job and it is just a matter of time until we get the results our performances deserve.

Edited by PlymouthGeordie

Have full faith in him, been incredibly unlucky with VAR etc but today was pretty fucking shit. Don't think it's that outlandish to say that. We'll have just as bad performances as we will good ones this season which is par for the course given this squad's depth, not Howe's fault in the slightest. But that today was wank.

19 minutes ago, PlymouthGeordie said:

There's an argument to say we should've won 5 of our 7 games but for bad luck/finishing/VAR.

We're regularly out scoring the opposition on XG which rarely happened under Bruce or even Rafa. Eventually, that will translate in to more points on the board.

Just like Bruce's results were unsustainable in his first two season, so are our current results but for very different reasons.

As for today, and it is easy with hindsight, but I hope Howe has learned that against a lesser opponent at home, playing Botman is a must. Burn did nothing wrong but Botman's speed of thought on the ball and passing ability was sorely missed.

Additionally, he should've started Longstaff over Willock. Longstaff could've played in the deepest midfield position and that would have released Bruno a bit more. Also, Willock would've given us some attacking impetus from the bench because the options we did have just aren't up to it.

As I say, easy to say with hindsight. For me, Howe is doing a fantastic job and it is just a matter of time until we get the results our performances deserve.

Agree with the Longstaff for Willock move to release Bruno further upfield 

1 minute ago, WarrenBartonCentrePartin said:

3 hours ago, Aiston said:

Can he stop subbing the shit trio of Wood, Longstaff and Murphy.

They offer absolutely fuck all.

Aye, said to me dad today while I appreciate deals might’ve been hard to do this summer, I’d be annoyed if he told the board he’s happy with that triumvirate of doom

Who is he supposed to bring on lads? :lol: 

1 minute ago, WarrenBartonCentrePartin said:

There’s no reason to bring Wood or Murphy on whatsoever.

Fraser was stinking the place out today

We had 5 defenders left sitting on the bench. Unless we go down the route of sticking a kid on the bench then hoying him in we've got no other choices

Seems reluctant to alter the plan. A simple switch of Allmiron and Fraser today, with instructions to Willock to get into the box, and we'd have stretched them more. 

Isak drops deep which either draws the defence out, or Willock gets in there to occupy the defence, giving Isak something of a free run at the cross.

2 minutes ago, WarrenBartonCentrePartin said:

There’s no reason to bring Wood or Murphy on whatsoever.

Fresh impetus, fresh ideas, fresh legs… whatever you call it, of course we need to bring attacking subs on at some point. The issue being that the squad is piss poor outside the first 11 (and one of two in the 11 aren’t particularly great anyway). We haven’t got any other options, in case you hadn’t realised.

Guest reefatoon
5 minutes ago, cubaricho said:

:lol: At least answer the question. 

For me we look worse once we make the subs. They don’t offer anything even when they are replacing tired players, who even though they are blowing out their arse, they still offer more. You know it’s no more goals once those shite options come on. It’s going to take time though to rebuild the full squad and we just have to be patient.

Edited by reefatoon

10 minutes ago, Manxst said:

Fresh impetus, fresh ideas, fresh legs… whatever you call it, of course we need to bring attacking subs on at some point. The issue being that the squad is piss poor outside the first 11 (and one of two in the 11 aren’t particularly great anyway). We haven’t got any other options, in case you hadn’t realised.

Well I’m not disagreeing with that, but I was asked who else he was meant to bring on.

My point wasn’t that there was someone else - it was that I’d have been disappointed if he told the board he was happy with both those players as options.

Last seasons success was based on an intense counter press that allowed us to break while the opposition was in transition. That and our strength from set pieces allowed us to edge a lot of close games, but as Howe says, it wasn't sustainable.

This season we're gradually shifting to a more possession based game, but we just don't have the guile or quality in the final third to break down opposition who delpoy an effective low block.

I think we'll be far more comfortable against Fulham and Brentford who will attack us and give us plenty of opportunities on the counter attack.

57 minutes ago, WarrenBartonCentrePartin said:

Well I’m not disagreeing with that, but I was asked who else he was meant to bring on.

My point wasn’t that there was someone else - it was that I’d have been disappointed if he told the board he was happy with both those players as options.

Of course he's not happy with the squad but you can't replace everyone in two windows considering the quality and price of players we are targeting. 

3 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

Last seasons success was based on an intense counter press that allowed us to break while the opposition was in transition. That and our strength from set pieces allowed us to edge a lot of close games, but as Howe says, it wasn't sustainable.

This season we're gradually shifting to a more possession based game, but we just don't have the guile or quality in the final third to break down opposition who delpoy an effective low block.

I think we'll be far more comfortable against Fulham and Brentford who will attack us and give us plenty of opportunities on the counter attack.

Yup. Frustrating but think we'll see many more teams park the bus at SJP after today's struggles.