Transfer rumours

Yorkie

1 hour ago, Collage said:

Tino should have offsprings all over the place, we could probably buy a whole team of Asprillas.

Exactly..  while officially he isn't related to Faustino... is he actually??

Darion is more a poor man's Kazenga to Lomana LuaLua. Pretty inconsistent for Portland through the years but sparks of brilliance. Although....Definitely not Faustinos younger brother either.

2 hours ago, Collage said:

Tino should have offsprings all over the place, we could probably buy a whole team of Asprillas.

I'll get pelters for saying this but here goes.

Never understood the general love in for him, apart from being zany and the hatrick against Barcelona. Upset the balance of the team in 96 and contibuted to us blowing the league in my opinion.........

4 minutes ago, Beth said:

Never understood the general love in for him, apart from being zany and the hatrick against Barcelona. Upset the balance of the team in 96 and contibuted to us blowing the league in my opinion.........

Fallacy. Individual errors, luck for other teams, and a simple drop in form for a few players. Asprilla turned games and won us points. 

https://www.skysports.com/amp/football/news/15125/10160470/faustino-asprilla-wrongly-blamed-for-newcastles-failed-1996-title-bid

5 minutes ago, Manxst said:

Fallacy. Individual errors, luck for other teams, and a simple drop in form for a few players. Asprilla turned games and won us points. 

https://www.skysports.com/amp/football/news/15125/10160470/faustino-asprilla-wrongly-blamed-for-newcastles-failed-1996-title-bid

I'm not having that like. Yes he turned the game against Boro on his debut and the two goals against City, but other than that nothing he did contributed towards the end result that season. According to that article it was partly due to Ferdinand missing a sitter at West Ham ffs.

4 minutes ago, Beth said:

I'm not having that like. Yes he turned the game against Boro on his debut and the two goals against City, but other than that nothing he did contributed towards the end result that season. According to that article it was partly due to Ferdinand missing a sitter at West Ham ffs.

So Ferdinand missed a sitter, yet you believe it was Asprillas fault we didn’t win the title? 

19 minutes ago, Beth said:

I’ve always loved the man. Fantastically gifted player and a great character.

3 minutes ago, Beth said:

So Asprilla didn't miss any chances then during that run?

Everyone missed chances- as you pointed out, the article stated a major one that Ferdinand missed. Some players (Gillespie) got injured. Batty came. Players dipped in form. To put it down to the arrival of Asprilla alone is naive. 

Just now, Optimistic Nut said:

Ferdinand’s goals dried up after New Year, Rob Lee’s form dropped, but aye, Tino’s fault.

I'm no historian but I think the biggest factor of our collapse was to do with tiredness.

Keegans side played at 100mph, it caught up with them eventually.

My memory of that season (as a 10 year old) was just blowing games - like a toughness wasn’t there to kill games - Liverpool, Blackburn, Forest. All heartbreak, all could have been closed out differently. I don’t think it needs any revisionism…in this case I think the “narrative” was pretty much spot on. But I was young so what do I know. Memories filtered by sky tv 😂

16 minutes ago, JeffJ said:

Hoping the Saudis use their untold wealth to make it 1995 again through science or magic.

Wouldn't miss some of the posters. Could even convince their parents to use a condom. 

Edited by Ikon

57 minutes ago, STM said:

I'm no historian but I think the biggest factor of our collapse was to do with tiredness.

Keegans side played at 100mph, it caught up with them eventually.

I personally think that Batty coming in for Clark was a massive factor too........Batty was good at what he did, but the dynamics of the team changed with his arrival. 

4 minutes ago, xLiaaamx said:

Wasn't alive but I find it interesting its always Asprilla thats blamed - not Batty coming despite us not using a defensive midfielder before he came in.

If the team's balance was upset, that's on Keegan.

Think it was more about Ginola being a half-season wonder. Was never the same after getting kicked off the park by Dixon in a league cup match (I think it was the cup) at Arsenal. He then went in a huff the summer after when he couldn't get a transfer to Barcelona.

Batty was a much better player than Clark, different level in my opinion. A key midfielder in two teams that won the league says it all when compared to Clark.

1 hour ago, UncleBingo said:

I personally think that Batty coming in for Clark was a massive factor too........Batty was good at what he did, but the dynamics of the team changed with his arrival. 

Batty and Watson were the best players in the run in despite not starting earlier. You can say team dynamics were changed but the pressure got to players in the second half of the season. Don't need to name names as there were too many. Despite this not enough credit is given to Man Yoo who finished super strong, including be a certain SB.