Transfer rumours

Yorkie

Guest neesy111
11 minutes ago, Colos Short and Curlies said:

I don't want players who can fit into a relegation scrap, I want good players who can play us up the table. 

Coutinho can't do that either.

42 minutes ago, Holmesy said:

What kind of player do you need for a relegation battle? I’d say an immensely  talented creative goalscoring midfielder with PL experience isn’t a bad place to start.

Howe (if it is Howe) is not going to park the bus. He’s going to try and play technical attacking football, which means we need technical attacking footballers.

We're absolutely desperate for strong, mobile, central midfielders that can pass a football and fullbacks that can defend before getting a player like Coutinho imo.

8 minutes ago, toon25 said:

We're absolutely desperate for strong, mobile, central midfielders that can pass a football and fullbacks that can defend before getting a player like Coutinho imo.

You don’t have to bring them in in order though. We’re probably negotiating for other players as well.

Just because we get in a creative player doesn’t mean we’re not going to bring in CMs, fullbacks and a striker. 

In fact you could argue it makes more sense to sign someone like Coutinho first as a signal of intent. Players like him will attract other players

Edited by Holmesy

I also don´t think Coutinho would be right for us this season, how would you fit him in up front without leaving us super light defensively. Would rather go for a ramsey type before coutinho, he puts his all on the pitch and doesn´t stop running, would be a better similar signing for me...

'Relegation battle' is a bit of an archaic term mind in this sense mind, it's PFM defence usually. Teams escape the relegation zone quite easily all the time by just winning a few games back to back, that's what we want to do, not be grinding out draws against the bottom clubs. I mean it's not as heroic as escaping relegation by gosl difference but it's usually the sign of better management 

We're in that state now because we essentially have no manager and a squad who struggles to pass the ball about with any kind of intent.

We have to reighn in expectations a bit but we SHOULD be able to assemble something in January capable of picking up wins against the bottom sides.

Edited by Hanshithispantz

It's not a hard task though. We have a lot of money to work with and we don't need to be aiming for the ceiling. There are plenty physical CDMs out there who can pick out a pass. Hundreds of solid fullbacks. Like we could replace half of our defence and midfield for less than £40m quite easily.

I'm not saying we should go for Courtinho, but replacing our other positions shouldn't be a mammoth task.

In my opinion, despite our owners wealth, there’s no chance we’ll be going out and buying a whole new team in January. Four players, I reckon (based on nothing, admittedly). Plus we’ll be looking at players out of contract in the summer. Coutinho is too similar to the likes of ASM at the current time. We need to be replacing and upgrading the Shelveys, Ritchies and Clarks of the squad to try and alleviate our relegation worries. Strong, influential, non injury prone, consistent and reliable players. Brozovic, Kessie, Kamara, Sule etc. Barca are desperate to get Coutinho off the wage bill…and it’s not just because they’re broke right now, but because he’s been extremely poor the last few years. 

4 minutes ago, triggs said:

Come on man, Coutinho would be a phenomenal signing :lol:

We are not Barcelona

Yeah, of course he would be, if he was about 5th or 6th along the line. I just think we need other positions desperately filled first and won’t be buying 5 or 6 this January. 

Don't really fancy us signing post-peak players or damaged goods on colossal wages, who are going to be impossible to shift. We've seen basically all the elite clubs make arses of themselves by doing that. 

1 hour ago, Yorkie said:

Don't really fancy us signing post-peak players or damaged goods on colossal wages, who are going to be impossible to shift. We've seen basically all the elite clubs make arses of themselves by doing that. 

Loan with an option to buy for Coutinho and the talk around new signings is that we're looking for players coming to the end of their contracts, which limits the financial risk anyway.