Transfer rumours

Yorkie

2 hours ago, Tsunami said:

Assuming we go down how will ffp affect us if we spend say £100M in January (haha fat chance) lose say £150M in The Championship and go up? Are we then fairly screwed for strengthening again?

Or, can we wangle our way out through sponsorship? I just don’t see us avoiding the drop.

Even if we do go down its not quite the huge disaster you might expect.

It should help get rid of some of the higher earning deadwood but also, it would give us a year to get the infrastructure in place so that when we go back up we hit the ground running.

What's the largest turnover ever made by a club in a transfer window? Or a January window?   

Read several pundits  state that you cannot replace more than 3-4 players at a time.  But given the complete lack of cohension under Bruce, I'm not sure that really applies in our case.   :lol:  I'd expect Howe to change that, but still...

I've also been  thinking about that insane summer Chelsea had in 2003 when they brought in Crespo, Makelele, Duff, Veron, Cole, Mutu (remember that f*cker), some others. Can't remember how many of those went straight into their starting 11. And they were already top four.

Edited by gazza ladra

I think the games up until January are just as important for staying up as to who we might sign in January, I'm sure if Eddie gets us playing better and pick up points then potential signings will see the project better. If we're too far away from pack not sure who will come. 

If we can get a charismatic and mean cunt with bags of energy and a bit of technique in at CM I reckon one signing alone could galvanise the team enough to drag us out of the relegation zone. Tall ask to find the next Vieira/Keane though, so most likely we'll need to add as a minimum a new left back and striker as well before I would feel confident that the team is good enough to stay up.

I don't think we need that many players in January as long as we have a semi competent manager who can teach the squad how to press as a unit, and work on how to retain possession when opposition team commits 2-3 players to press our ball carrier. 

53 minutes ago, HWTL said:

I think the games up until January are just as important for staying up as to who we might sign in January, I'm sure if Eddie gets us playing better and pick up points then potential signings will see the project better. If we're too far away from pack not sure who will come. 

You may be looking at different levels of player in the first place as well.

In touch / pulled out of the bottom 3 and you look for players who will kick on next season

In trouble and you are looking for either a real short term gamble or players who are better than you have but who are more likely to stick around for a promotion push

I honestly think we will be mainly active in the loan market come January. We obviously will have the money for permanent transfers, but loans will enable us to target a higher level of player either looking for more game time, or coming from abroad to sell themselves in the future. Players of quality are going to be very reluctant to sign on a permanent transfer at a club which could be relegated imho.

Edited by et tu brute

33 minutes ago, et tu brute said:

I honestly think we will be mainly active in the loan market come January. We obviously will have the money for permanent transfers, but loans will enable us to target a higher level of player either looking for more game time, or coming from abroad to sell themselves in the future. Players of quality are going to be very reluctant to sign on a permanent transfer at a club which could be relegated imho.

Can see some permanent signings but whomever comes will likely have a relegation release clause.

Being cut adrift vs being out of the relegation zone or a point or two away will make a massive difference. It's going to be a fascinating, gut wrenching, nervous, likely frustrating but exciting time. Oh to feel something for the club again. It's slowly coming back!

3 hours ago, et tu brute said:

good point and pretty much I agree.

3 hours ago, et tu brute said:

What level of "higher level" is possible? Are you thinking Raheem Sterling-level? Or something much more modest? It sounded like Lingard was ready to go to West Ham, but they weren't willing to oay the fee.

4 hours ago, Ben said:

Will we even have that much money to spend if the Reubans and Staverly have to put 10% of what the Saudis put in ?

You mean the reubens who's worth 27bn.. I think we'll manager to pay the lecky bill

4 hours ago, gazza ladra said:

What level of "higher level" is possible? Are you thinking Raheem Sterling-level? Or something much more modest? It sounded like Lingard was ready to go to West Ham, but they weren't willing to oay the fee.

Nope I wasn’t talking Sterling level 

10 hours ago, huss9 said:

just hypothetical, but could abraham sign for us in january.

forgotten what the rule was for players moving during a season after just having joined the club at the start of the seaon.

I could be wrong but I think you can be registered with three clubs in a season, and play for two. So as long as Abraham didn't play a game for Chelsea before he moved that'd hopefully not be a problem?

Depends what consists as a game, though. Did he play a friendly or anything before he left Chelsea? If I recall right, Hatem get blocked from playing the second half of a season for Nice when he initially signed because he played a bloody U23 for us before going on loan to Hull.

22 hours ago, Chicane said:

Seriously why are we going after keepers right now? :lol:

We're almost certainly not.

However every player with an agent and a contract up for renewal will be getting the "Newcastle are interested" stories going in order to push the renegotiations on and boost their wages, even if we've never heard of the guy.

8 minutes ago, Krabbe2 said:

Think the January window is going to be frustrating for us due to the table situation.

The funds are there, but players will say no.

Hope I'm wrong.

Build in relegation release clauses like Ba and Remy had or decent price loans with obligation to buy if we stay up. Numerous ways to do it and I'd guess many players would want to be part of what will hopefully be the start of something big.

Edited by madras

I do find these weird links to random stars quite funny. We've only just appointed a manager, and are yet to appoint a DOF, there may be some vague generalities as to who the consortium may want, but they certainty wouldn't have been sounding them out, especially players like fucking Benzema :lol: 

10 hours ago, PlymouthGeordie said:

I can see us targeting Ake on loan from City.

Howe knows him well, he doesn't get much game time at City, it is a clear upgrade on Clark (who looks finished at this level) and could be made permanent if we stay up.

Ake’s my first shout as well.