The Relegationometer™ (2023/24)

midds

The Relegationometer™ (2023/24)  

403 members have voted

1. 1. How likely are we to get relegated this season? 0 = nee chance, 5 = can’t call it, 10 = nailed on marra

31 minutes ago, Miggys First Goal said:

Everton lose to Bournemouth and Leeds lose to Tottenham. Leicester lose to use but then win against West Ham.

Leicester stay up. Scouse Mackems and Big Sam down. Happy days.

Would be nice but Everton aren't losing to Bournemouth.

13 minutes ago, McDog said:

Feel bad for my mate I work with. Leeds supporter and I had really hoped they could scrape though but it doesn't look that way. Watched the game, they didn't play that well.

Aye, one of my nieces (from Doncaster) supports them.

They started well actually, but after they went ahead they just became 2nd best.

They have started a few games well, but just can’t close them out.

A lot of that squad though was a very average Championship side who played beyond their ability under Biesla though.

They have brought a few players in, but nowhere near enough to get to a level they need to be at.

If they survived this season, they were on the verge of a takeover as well.

11 hours ago, toon25 said:

I really hope to fuck Everton go down, like. Had enough of them circling the bowl.

I have said this before but, in general terms if not detail (ie they've got a really expensive squad, we had a load of dross because Lerner got a new girlfriend and didn't like football any more, then Xia was a fucking criminal), they remind me of us for a few years before we actually went down.

Circling the plug hole, beloved by nobody, like a sort of scabby stray dog wandering the streets of some Romanian town, looking more and more like it's going to go toes up, and everyone just looks at it and thinks "poor thing, it'll be a release when it finally dies".

I actually think it could be good for them. It was for us, eventually. One thing it did do was make us stop taking Premier League membership for granted, and after much grief it flushed out our shit penniless owners and bagged us a couple of benevolent billionaires.

Maybe that'll happen for them, too, but either way, I'm sick to the tits of them just about surviving and would be happy to see them finally get flushed.

2 hours ago, brummie said:

I have said this before but, in general terms if not detail (ie they've got a really expensive squad, we had a load of dross because Lerner got a new girlfriend and didn't like football any more, then Xia was a fucking criminal), they remind me of us for a few years before we actually went down.

Circling the plug hole, beloved by nobody, like a sort of scabby stray dog wandering the streets of some Romanian town, looking more and more like it's going to go toes up, and everyone just looks at it and thinks "poor thing, it'll be a release when it finally dies".

I actually think it could be good for them. It was for us, eventually. One thing it did do was make us stop taking Premier League membership for granted, and after much grief it flushed out our shit penniless owners and bagged us a couple of benevolent billionaires.

Maybe that'll happen for them, too, but either way, I'm sick to the tits of them just about surviving and would be happy to see them finally get flushed.

I think just to be on the safe side re: taking things for granted, they should recruit a certain Mr S Bruce to spearhead their big-budget promotion campaign to ensure they reach their true nadir. 

1 hour ago, TRon said:

I just never understood why you'll never walk alone belonged to Liverpool but not Everton.

Not sure either, but the great music scene explosion of the mid 1960s coincided with Liverpool's rise to the very top under Shankly.

Prior to that Liverpool had been regarded as a big club, but had just been promoted after about 9 years in the Second Division and there was a renaissance with the club spending unheard of amounts of money to achieve promotion (the new owner was the Financial Director of Littlewoods Pools). 

Everton had been the bigger and the more established and prestigious of the two neighbours, but perhaps no longer.

It was almost a clean slate for Liverpool so I guess they adopted modern totems (such as that song) and have continued with mythologies, marketed by the media, to this day.

4 hours ago, Skeletor said:

Can't think of a single likeable thing about either scouse team. My hatred of Liverpool goes back to "Collymore closing in..." and has never waned.

I have some sympathy for Everton because they were successful in the 1980s but were locked out of European competition due to the behaviour of other English teams' fans. It's likely they would have won or come close to winning the European Cup, creating lifelong memories for their fans. This has has also a lasting effect on Everton's status worldwide.

A large part of Liverpool's clout comes from that period. They also have fans who support them because they are named after the city foreigners associate with the Beatles. Everton are from the same city but do not benefit from the same association because their name is "Everton" and not "Liverpool". Liverpool Football Club consistently sell the fourth most replica jerseys worldwide, even pre Klopp when they were a cup side at best.

If this all sounds a bit mental and disparaging of Liverpool, on the morning of the 1974 FA Cup final, Newcastle United were historically a more successful club than Liverpool. The way it is now is not some preordained natural order of things.

In all the time i've been watching the Premier League, Everton have never done or been anything other than a team that exists. Rooney was a very brief highlight and the team that contained Peinnar and Cahill was good to watch but that's it, in what, 30 years. Even when we were shit there was always chaos, entertainment, players who did some thing a little different, mental decisions that were gut wrenching to see as a fan, but at least they provided entertainment for the league and other supporters. Everton are just a dull nothing team that never do anything.

I would love to see them go down just so another team has the opportunity to actually make some sort of impact.

20 minutes ago, Mahoneys Tache said:

Scouse mackems would be my choice on account of that little weasel Gray scoring twice when I was on the gallowgate some time in the 80’s. Wanker. 

“Smashed it” in no doubt.

Calling them Scouse Mackems doesn't work. Everton are as successful as us - if not more.

I like the people of Liverpool a lot. I like em far more than a routinely Tory town like Bournemouth or something.

Goodison Park is an iconic English stadium too.

The club Everton - yeh it would be funny to see them down. But it's not personal for me at all.

Edited by The College Dropout

1 hour ago, The College Dropout said:

Calling them Scouse Mackems doesn't work. Everton are as successful as us - if not more.

I like the people of Liverpool a lot. I like em far more than a routinely Tory town like Bournemouth or something.

Goodison Park is an iconic English stadium too.

The club Everton - yeh it would be funny to see them down. But it's not personal for me at all.

When were Everton successful though? Certainly not in the modern era. 80s was it? 40 years ago, and what since?

That's not to say we've had success but we have contributed to the league significantly. We've impacted title races and European competition etc.

They need to go down, have a reset and come back as something other than a place filler

2 minutes ago, Holmesy said:

When were Everton successful though? Certainly not in the modern era. 80s was it? 40 years ago, and what since?

That's not to say we've had success but we have contributed to the league significantly. We've impacted title races and European competition etc.

They need to go down, have a reset and come back as something other than a place filler

Doesn't really matter. Everton have more trophies than us. They've only ever spent 2 seasons below the top flight. There's an argument to be made that they are a bigger club than us. I don't buy it but there's an argument. 

There's no argument for Sunderland being bigger than us.

It's like calling Atletico "Madrid Mackems". It's dumb.

Everton is a gigantic football club with lots of history and is very obviously a Premier League club. Will be funny to see them down, and the team currently deserves it. 

Aye the comparison is generally based around the bitterness and delusion that stems from them living in the shadow of their more successful neighbour. I doubt anyone is suggesting that Everton are a similar sized club to Sunderland. 

I know it was anti-football but fair fucking play to Leicester and very ballsy. 

Smith will have known if they tried to attack today they'll have lost, meaning they'd have need to win, and for Everton and Leeds to lose.

Now, they just need to beat West Ham whose heads will be on something else, they've taken Leeds out of the equation if they do that, and Everton have to win and not just draw. Hope they do it now. 

5 minutes ago, black_n_white said:

Don’t really see Leicester scoring right now let alone winning a game of football

Home to West Ham who are safe and have a Cup Final not long after that though. I reckon they'll win, will just be if Everton can see it out against Bournemouth. 

43 minutes ago, Optimistic Nut said:

I know it was anti-football but fair fucking play to Leicester and very ballsy. 

Smith will have known if they tried to attack today they'll have lost, meaning they'd have need to win, and for Everton and Leeds to lose.

Now, they just need to beat West Ham whose heads will be on something else, they've taken Leeds out of the equation if they do that, and Everton have to win and not just draw. Hope they do it now. 

Smith is getting pillioried all over the Internet. He got his tactics right. That’s how you get points away at Newcastle. (Bournemouth will have a better chance of winning at Everton than Foxes did tonight) They still have a slim chance; that’s better than already relegated.