The Relegationometer™ (2023/24)

midds

The Relegationometer™ (2023/24)  

403 members have voted

1. 1. How likely are we to get relegated this season? 0 = nee chance, 5 = can’t call it, 10 = nailed on marra

31 minutes ago, ExiledGeordie said:

If Wilson returns for a decent run of fixtures I’ll have absolutely no worries 

He was said to be out for around 8 weeks from his injury which he picked up on 27 December, which is this Monday. Could see him back in a matchday squad for Brighton (h).

4 minutes ago, HaydnNUFC said:

He was said to be out for around 8 weeks from his injury which he picked up on 27 December, which is this Monday. Could see him back in a matchday squad for Brighton (h).

That was the original prediction which appears to have been re-adjusted to “he might make a few of the last fixtures” before the end of the season.  I don’t think he’s back before April at the earliest but if he can get a run of 6-8 games that’s massive. 

Edited by ExiledGeordie

1 hour ago, ExiledGeordie said:

Spot on. The results today from Burnley and Watford shows anything can happen but I like our resilience and defence now and we’re doing ok with major names missing. I think Bruno G will eventually come in and improve our general play even more. 

The improvement in our defence is massive for our safety hopes, even with Trips out for the season, Targett and Burn make us look so much more solid. That means we'll be good for a point at least from most games, and if we lose the odd one, we'll win some as well. I think we should be safe, definitely other sides have a lot more to worry about than us.

Still got that 4 point cushion, in great form, have a game in hand, two winnable games coming up and albeit it away games, can take points off Burnley and Norwich when we play them again. 

So I'm at a 10.

Edited by TBG

Not saying we shouldn't still be worried about those behind us, but for some perspective, Burnley and Norwich are 5 points behind us, Watford 4...

We are 5 points behind Leicester, Villa, 4 behind Palace, 2 behind Brentford, 1 behind Leeds, 0 behind Everton.

We're very much part of a much bigger pack now. While Burnley could make some of their 2 games in hand on us, we're closer to Brentford with equal games in hand.

The table will be interesting by 14th March - some key fixtures to be played and will set the scene for the end of season run in. Everton play Man City (h), Spurs (a) and Wolves (h) while in comparion Leeds play Man Utd (h), Liverpool (a), Spurs (h), Leicester (a), Aston Villa (h) and Norwich (h). Brentford as mentioned above have some key fixtures against us, Norwich and Burnley.

If we can pick up some promising results in this timeframe you have to feel like those three clubs above us will be dragged into it.

1 hour ago, Decky said:

There's a slim chance Villa could find themselves getting dragged into it as well. Their last 3 results have been terrible. They're only 5 points ahead of us. 

they’ve got volume of teams in their favour, need 6 teams to do better than them which is unlikely and they have match winners who will pick off a few teams before the season is out.

don’t see them doing much next year though, would be surprised if Stevie G makes it through the season 

If I had a choice it would be Everton to go down (still don’t think they will). Still think Watford, Norwich and either Burnley or Brentford will be the third team. Leeds need to be wary and of course we need to keep picking up points also. If we had Wilson I would fancy us to finish mid table, the fact we haven’t for probably another two months is the only little nagging doubt I have.

I'm a 5.

I'd take a draw against Brentford as I'd back us to pick up 3 points from one of our games in hand to go above them.

Been saying for a while Burnley look like they're up for the fight.

Today's results were frustrating, more so because we put pressure on them with a good performance and result earlier in the day.

The only good thing about Burnley and Watford winning means for the first time this season it has really cranked up the pressure on Brentford, Leeds and Everton. It'll be interesting to see how they handle that. 

It's no longer 3 teams from 4, given Norwich have played 25 games and are 5 adrift I'd now say it's 2 teams from 6 (us, Burnley, Watford, Leeds, Everton and Brentford).

If we beat Brentford I would definitely back us to get 11 points from our last 13 games (3 wins and 2 draws) and surely 36 points keeps us up? We need to be aiming for 4 points from Brentford and Brighton.

Edited by PlymouthGeordie

I'm down to a 2.

For the first time in a while, results didn't go our way yesterday, but we're the only team in the bottom half who are consistently picking up points at the moment.

It's sustainable too. Yesterday we turned up at 5th place West Ham, confidently knocked the ball around and took the game to them. 

Not to labour the point, but more importantly we've become really difficult to beat thanks to our shape and work rate.

Obviously, relegation is still a big threat, we can't afford to be complacent. Similarly  I still fully expect us to pick up the odd bad result now and again, but if we play with the same intensity and application as we have since Xmas (and I don't see why won't), we'll pick up enough results to comfortably see us safe.