The Relegationometer™ (2023/24)

midds

The Relegationometer™ (2023/24)  

403 members have voted

1. 1. How likely are we to get relegated this season? 0 = nee chance, 5 = can’t call it, 10 = nailed on marra

After playing Man-U we were 4 points from safety and having played 2 extra games. We were 5 behind Leeds having played a game more

We are now out of the bottom 3 and if Burnley win their game in hand then we are only 1 point behind them. We have a game in hand on Leeds and 2 on Brentford. 

We are in an unbelievable position when you consider the context. I thought we would still be at least a win away from getting out of the relegation zone so we need to remain positive. 

I think by Saturday evening it will be a bit clearer as to how many clubs are going to be very much in it until the end. 

Just shows how important those 3 wins were that despite them we’re still just two clear. We just need to focus on our own work. There’s a points marker where we’ll be safe and we just need to keep pushing towards it. Anything above 35 should be grand. If we can be on 25 on Saturday evening we’ll be fine I reckon. 

If the noises about Bamford are true I wouldn't expect him back any time soon. On-going foot pain that is taking much longer than expected to heal? Honestly wouldn't shock me if he doesn't return this season.

Phillips and Cooper due to be back in early March. They have fallen apart since those injuries so that should help their defensive problems. They have to be considered part of this battle though.

We're bang in form, hard to beat and it looks like only ourselves and Burnley down there who can actually defend. The crowd backing shouldn't also be overlooked.

We also have big players to come back in St Max, Wilson, Trippier (hopefully) and Bruno to introduce. Nobody else at the bottom end have players of that quality.

We'll be fine.

There’s usually the odd team that collapses at this time of year and gets sucked into a relegation battle but I’m not sure that it’s happened to three at the same time as with Everton, Leeds and Brentford this season. Exceptional 

Looking at the fixtures, the table could be really interesting come Saturday. We could potentially end up two points behind Villa if we won and and they were to lose. Mad when you consider weeks ago they were considered totally safe. If Norwich and Watford both lose away its looking very unlikely they’ll get out of it meaning a straight up shoot up out to avoid the last place.

Edited by ExiledGeordie

3 minutes ago, UncleBingo said:

We're bang in form, hard to beat and it looks like only ourselves and Burnley down there who can actually defend. The crowd backing shouldn't also be overlooked.

We also have big players to come back in St Max, Wilson, Trippier (hopefully) and Bruno to introduce. Nobody else at the bottom end have players of that quality.

We'll be fine.

That’s well summed up, I don’t see many other teams down there with the spirit, resolute defence and crowd support/ground hostility for home games.

We are an injury or two from being up shit creek like but suppose you could say the same about any of the teams near the bottom. Maxi is already struggling with niggles and an injury to Wood could leave things looking grim.

Edited by WillingtonMag

3 minutes ago, WillingtonMag said:

We are an injury or two from being up shit creek like but suppose you could say the same about any of the teams near the bottom. Maxi is already struggling with niggles and an injury to Wood could leave things looking grim.

Or if you want to put a massive positive slant on things we may still get Trippier and Wilson (less likely) back for a run of a few games and we still have the option of a 40m Brazilian midfielder. 

If we beat Brentford and possibly moving up to 14th that will psychologically give us an edge I think. We have momentum, as do Burnley now. The others around us are all in the horrors.. but that can change in an instant.

If we keep current form levels, I can see us picking up another 24/25 points by end of season.. that would easily be enough.

2 minutes ago, Dr Jinx said:

If we beat Brentford and possibly moving up to 14th that will psychologically give us an edge I think. We have momentum, as do Burnley now. The others around us are all in the horrors.. but that can change in an instant.

If we keep current form levels, I can see us picking up another 24/25 points by end of season.. that would easily be enough.

Like the optimism but I can’t see how we realistically get 24/25 points between now and the end of the season 

I know this forum generally worries a lot but apart from Burnley's last two results, all the bottom sides results from 11  downwards have fallen NUFC's way since the new year.

Watford's next 4 games are really hard and so they should get 0 to 1-2 points at most and we are already 4 points ahead with a game in hand

Norwich, 5 points ahead with a game in hand, and they have some hard games coming up.

Leeds 1 point behind and 1 game in hand

Brentford 2 points behind and 2 games in hand

Everton have a real hard run in.

Last few weeks have been great - its in our own hands.  When we drew with Watford at home, I thought we were done!

Howe's got this!

Edited by Awaymag

19 minutes ago, UncleBingo said:

We'll be fine.

This , try not to piss  ya pants man , we will be ok , this is a different NUFC :indi:

Very tough to predict relegation teams this season. 

Zero chance of you getting relegated. Said this a couple of times over the last month. The trajectory of every statistic associated with your games look positive and improving - xg, miles covered, shots taken, shots conceded, etc. When performance statistic looks good and improving, the points will follow.

Leeds might be the worst team we played this season. They are in trouble. 

Norwich and Burnley actually impressed me. Norwich gave us trouble until Thiago came on and took control of the midfield. Burnley was very resilient. Impressed by their spirit if not their football. 

55 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

Still at a two. We've got the best form in the bottom half, Burnley’s result while not ideal doesn't change that.

We've got the 3rd best form in the league over the last 5.

It's difficult to assess because I'd say Norwich are gone and Watford are on life support, leaving 5 teams fighting to avoid the final relegation position which in theory means there is a 20% chance of relegation.

Saturday is just too big. If we lose and Burnley beat Palace on Monday night we're back in the bottom 3 having played a game more than Burnley and Everton.

If we win, it almost doesn't matter what Burnley do because we're on an upward trajectory and we'll be a point ahead of Brentford with 2 games in hand.

Edited by PlymouthGeordie

Everton now the same us as us to go down (4/1), with Leeds and Brentford more likely (3/1) than us and Everton.

Bottom 3 are still favourites, especially Norwich are pretty much gone according to the bookies, but it's quite reassuring that despite Burnley winning their last two our odds have stayed the same. 

If we beat Brentford on Saturday, I really can't see us being involved in the relegation battle any more.