Realistic Transfer Targets (2023/24)

joeyt

I'm not sure JWP would fancy it even if we were after him; in fact if I was betting I'd plump on him just staying at Southampton. He seems to relish the responsibility he has at that club and might feel duty-bound to stay and fight for promotion, after admitting that the squad basically hadn't tried hard enough to ensure survival. 

He's also presumably had other chances to leave previously and not done so. He's never left the south coast. Might not fancy up-rooting to the North East to be a squad player after a lifetime of being the first name on the teamsheet. 

Go for Lavia from them otherwise the days of JWP coming here are over. If we are to keep the high octane Eddie press our 8s have to be machines, preferably with pace and strength.  

Just now, McCormick said:

Can’t all be powerhouses imo, we need a bit nous and vision in there as well.

Agreed, we are desperate for some more technical players. These are the sort of players that will take us up a level.

4 hours ago, GeordieDazzler said:

I know it probably doesn’t mean much but Frank was pretty categorical in his post match that Raya would be their only sale.

Yeah he did say that tbh - contract until 2026/27 too potentially - yeah rule this one out 

5 hours ago, Yorkie said:

I'm not sure JWP would fancy it even if we were after him; in fact if I was betting I'd plump on him just staying at Southampton. He seems to relish the responsibility he has at that club and might feel duty-bound to stay and fight for promotion, after admitting that the squad basically hadn't tried hard enough to ensure survival. 

He's also presumably had other chances to leave previously and not done so. He's never left the south coast. Might not fancy up-rooting to the North East to be a squad player after a lifetime of being the first name on the teamsheet. 

Just out of interest, have any big clubs been seriously interested in signing him? Pretty sure he would have left if they had.

6 hours ago, Optimistic Nut said:

How much would Theo Hernandez cost from Milan? Was impressed by him last night. 

He’s an incredible full/wing back. Probably out of our price range for now. 

2 hours ago, joeyt said:

Would anyone take Bryan Mbeumo for the right wing slot?

He would be a decent squad player, the issue is we have lots of squad players out wide but not that player with star ability, compared to Liverpool who have Salah and Diaz.

Definitely think we've passed the JWP level. He's really one-paced also.

Lavia yes. Personally, I'd go Ugarte/Thuram, DS (the Hungarian lad), Tierney, and a high-quality Young Striker and Centre Halve to come from the bench.

Madison would be a bonus if Eddie doesn't want the Hungarian. Guler would be canny too, my Turkish mate, raves about him.

Excited to see who we go for...

Tin hat on here, but we do need back up in the striker position. We need to find someone who is prepared to struggle for his place, but who can do a decent job if and when required, and who isn't going to cost the Earth. We don't seem to have a striker coming up through the ranks.

Patrick Bamford doesn't have a big reputation, but I never like seeing him on the opposing side. He can make things happen. 

Whoever suggested Bamford needs to get in the sea. He's absolutely fucking terrible. He's a 1 in 8/9 Championship striker at best. That team under Bielsa created so many chances that it masked Bamford's wastefulness. Leeds would probably be staying up this season if Bamford hadn't fluffed so many guilt edge chances.