Sven Botman

The Prophet

2 minutes ago, Tiresias said:

I am wondering with comment on him playing with Burn is Howe is thinking of shifting to his old 3-4-3 so

Pope

Schar             Botman         Burn

Trips                Bruno          Joelinton          Target

New RW           Wilson         ASM

In posession Burn might push up as he did play left back for Brighton to create overloads and compensate for ASM not doing much pressing. My concern with this would be midfield obviously good with them two, where this works you might want a forward who can drop back when needed and link up with midfield but Wilson is not that type

Against the bigger teams when we're defending in large spells, that looks decent.

Wouldn't want it FT though.

1 minute ago, Dokko said:

Against the bigger teams when we're defending in large spells, that looks decent.

Wouldn't want it FT though.

I read that one of Botman’s strengths (Ajax developed) is pressie forward passing. We’ll create more attacks straight from the back line with at the centre of a three or a two. 

Newcastle were aware that AC Milan had been quoted a lower fee and did not budge in the negotiations for weeks.

Botman was on international duty and then on holiday but his representatives made it clear that Botman wanted to join.

Having left Lille to deal with the transfer talks, it appears the French club lowered their demands when they realised an unhappy player would return to pre-season training and AC Milan were not going to get involved in the bidding war they had hoped for.

That led to a breakthrough last weekend which will see Newcastle pay £30m now, with the fee possibly rising to closer to £40m with various performance related add-ons. It has been a feature of Newcastle’s approach as they look to make the most of their transfer budget this summer.

On the face of things, Milan had everything going for them. They were the reigning Italian champions and will be playing in the Champions League next season. There was supreme confidence that Botman would sign for them just a few weeks ago.

What Milan did not have was the ready cash to pay Lille what they wanted up front. There were also some internal disputes about whether they really needed another centre-back, even though the club’s technical director, Paolo Maldini, was very keen to get him.

That left the window open for Newcastle who moved swiftly. The fact they have made such a determined effort to get in January also played well with Botman and his advisors. He felt wanted and was flattered. That was crucial in the end.

Rather than delay the transfer because he wanted to go to Italy, the only hold-up was Lille trying to extract more money than Newcastle were willing to pay. It turned into a long and stressful poker game, but in the end Lille folded. Newcastle’s negotiating team deserve a lot of credit and it is understood that manager Eddie Howe also played an important role, giving a detailed explanation of why he wanted Botman and what role he would have in the team. It was an impressive pitch and once the fee and terms of payment were agreed, Botman said yes immediately.

AC Milan might have the grander history and Champions League football but the project at Newcastle was one that excited the young Dutchman. In the end, Newcastle’s bid was stronger from both a football and a financial perspective. The idea of being part of an ambitious project in England was simply more attractive than playing for the champions of Italy. It is a major feather in the new regime’s cap.

I take it all back, Luke, you've got iz on the vinegars

2 minutes ago, duo said:

What does it mean -a deal 'in principle' with Lille?

As I understand it, that phrase is being used because the actual 'effective date' of the transfer will not be until this Friday, 1st July 2022.

That is because the current accountability period for FFP ends on the 30th June, and wef from 1st July the next period starts.

8 minutes ago, manorpark said:

As I understand it, that phrase is being used because the actual 'effective date' of the transfer will not be until this Friday, 1st July 2022.

That is because the current accountability period for FFP ends on the 30th June, and wef from 1st July the next period starts.

I don't see how that helps from a FPP point of view. FFP is calculated over three years, if anything from a FFP point of view we'd want the first chunk of his fee in the previous year because it would be gone from the calculation a year sooner.

Edited by Jackie Broon

1 minute ago, cannybagoftudor said:

This is a photo shop picture and what exactly does in "principle" mean - not wishing to throw shade but I am not getting all giddy until I know he is officially signed.

Aww :aww:

44 minutes ago, manorpark said:

I love that. Got Ashworth's stamp all over it.