Sven Botman: set to miss 6–9 months with new ACL injury (Official)

The Prophet

6 hours ago, The College Dropout said:

I doubt he’ll play with Burn. But I’d love a CB partnership with that height. I don’t think we’ve had 2 really tall centrebacks that can play as well as long as I can remember. 

Burn is the last player I'd drop. He brought a commanding presence and leadership to our defending which was crucial to our survival. 

I only know Botman from clips, but his distribution looks very good for a CB and I could see him forming a good partnership with Burn. We could do with a bit more pace in that area, but then we're talking about one of the best CBs in the world - a Rudiger or something - and that's not realistic.

Something else that pleases me..... Bruno can see that he made the right choice. He was the first player to really to take the high dive and there's always a risk that he could have been miss-sold a dream but the signing of Botman is confirmation that we aren't taking the piss. 

Once could be a fluke, twice tells everyone that we mean business. We still need an attacking player of this quality though, which I'm looking forward to.

Just now, Optimistic Nut said:

Back 3 with Targett & Trippier wing-backs and ASM more central closer to Wilson potentially? We’d just be someone like Paqueta away from that working.

Has Howe ever worked on with a 5 at the back?

Having Schar, Botman and Burn in there sounds sexual.

5 minutes ago, Optimistic Nut said:

Back 3 with Targett & Trippier wing-backs and ASM more central closer to Wilson potentially? We’d just be someone like Paqueta away from that working.

It might happen from time to time but if that was Plan A I don’t think they’d have signed Targett.

The depth and versatility we have at the back now is quite insane. It’s only really left back where I think we lack an obvious PL quality replacement should Targett get injured but I suppose Manq and Trippier can both fill in if necessary.

Edited by christ

5 minutes ago, Optimistic Nut said:

Pope

Botman. Schar.  Burn. 

Kt.                                           Targett

Bruno. Paqueta 

JL.                          Asm

Wilson.  

13 minutes ago, christ said:

It might happen from time to time but if that was Plan A I don’t think they’d have signed Targett.

The depth and versatility we have at the back now is quite insane. It’s only really left back where I think we lack an obvious PL quality replacement should Targett get injured but I suppose Manq and Trippier can both fill in if necessary.

I think you’d see even more of Targett tbh. He’s good defensively, he’s a good crosser. He wouldn’t have to stay on his toes as much wondering whether to go on the overlap or not depending on Maxi’s mood.

21 minutes ago, christ said:

I think Lewis could come good under Howe, and be a decent replacement at left back. 

We've now got 4 solid centre backs, which is what good PL sides have.

Burn is 30 and will be well aware that he has to fight for his place, same with Lascelles. Don't feel sorry for them, they are earning a shit ton of money and will get their chance when injuries and fixture pile ups hit.

It's nowt to do with shifting to a back 5 but more to do with having a squad of players and tactical options.

Guys were are going to have to get used to this new way of doing things.

1 minute ago, LV said:

Lascelles has surely got to realise he needs to move on now. 

I said the same in the other thread.

Other clubs will come sniffing. Despite what some think, he's a PL centre back for the right team and one of our few saleable assists.