Sven Botman: set to miss 6–9 months with new ACL injury (Official)

The Prophet

3 hours ago, Coffee_Johnny said:

Wonder whether we could/would play two left footers. Must be umpteen examples of right footed pairings 

We could. I just think we won’t. We were only linked with Burn after we dropped our chase with Botman. We now have 2 right footed CBs and 2 left footed CBs.  

Hopefully there's no further glitches in this saga and I hope, being a young lad stepping up a league the fans give him time to settle if he needs it. There's a chance with his name being  bandied about for so long people may expect a Beckenbauer from the off.

Edited by madras

1 hour ago, Kid Icarus said:

What I've seen of Botman looks impressive, but similar to Dortmund being after Ekitike, the best defender I've ever seen rating him and trying to take him to AC Milan is a big indicator for me.

I was thinking that - Maldini will know a good defender when he sees one.

Just now, duo said:

1 hour ago, Kid Icarus said:

What I've seen of Botman looks impressive, but similar to Dortmund being after Ekitike, the best defender I've ever seen rating him and trying to take him to AC Milan is a big indicator for me.

To be fair, Bruce was a fantastic defender and he was still absolutely clueless.

4 minutes ago, duo said:

Yeah it doesn't work like that.

I wouldn't trust Shearers opinion on any player and SAF probably thinks Steve Bruce is a good manager.

Be interesting if we ever do play with Burn and Botman together

Two right footed centre backs has been quite common but can't remember two lefties playing together at centre back before.

11 minutes ago, samptime29 said:

I wonder if we will go with 3 CB for certain games or always stick to 2 CB's.

I think so. we did away to Chelsea and were really unlucky not to get something. it's a great option to have.

22 minutes ago, Tiresias said:

I suspect they will in a 3 at times especially considering that there are 5 subs next season so plenty of opportunity to sub on extra defender for last 5 minutes 

I'm beginning to warm to the 5 sub rule, now we look like we'll be in a position to benefit. Just thinking about the options in defence, with regards to game management is encouraging. We're not too bad in midfield, although I still think there is too much counter-attacking ability. And could do with a technically gifted player in the middle. Somebody who would climb a mountain for his best mate. "TUDOR! CANNIBAGA! EVERYONE KNOWS HIS NAME"

Up front? Somebody with huge potential, like Ekitike. With a less startled Wood, should be enough cover for Wilson, barring a catastrophe. I'd welcome a new RW, of course. And nobody can ignore the fact that ASM is demanding better players in front of him, not behind.

Guest reefatoon
43 minutes ago, xLiaaamx said:

Schar over Burn any day for me tbh. The only thing Burn has over him is size. Schar looked the much calmer of the two to me. 

Hmm not so sure, I think Burn brought the best out of Schar. it was a great partnership, and they worked so well together. I wouldn’t really say Schar was head and shoulders the better player. I think Burn was just as good, apart from the Spurs away game where he went full Wealdstone Raider, he was quality.

7 minutes ago, reefatoon said:

Hmm not so sure, I think Burn brought the best out of Schar. it was a great partnership, and they worked so well together. I wouldn’t really say Schar was head and shoulders the better player. I think Burn was just as good, apart from the Spurs away game where he went full Wealdstone Raider, he was quality.

I've heard Howe likes a leftfooter on the left, so I guess he would want a right-footer on the right. I think Schar is a quality footballer who has chosen to be a defender, which is quite unique. I'm sure Botman is to replace Burn who was only bought because we couldn't secure Botman.

But the position is Burn's to lose. I'd say.

1 minute ago, Happinesstan said:

I've heard Howe likes a leftfooter on the left, so I guess he would want a right-footer on the right. I think Schar is a quality footballer who has chosen to be a defender, which is quite unique. I'm sure Botman is to replace Burn who was only bought because we couldn't secure Botman.

But the position is Burn's to lose. I'd say.

I thought it was pretty clear in Jan that Burn only came in when they realised that the Botman deal wasnt likely to go through, so absolutely expect him to take Burns place. As you say Howe likes his left footers on the left and right on the right, no brainer for me.