More transfer rumours

midds

City have raised 40 million this summer through selling Bazunu, Pedro Porro, CJ Egan-Riley, Ko Kitaru, Dark Gyabi and Romeo Lavia. I had genuinely never heard of any of them.

They're also probably getting small loan fees every time they loan out their kids for a year. Or they loan them out to other clubs they own for exposure.

It's basically a massive racket but is a way around FFP. 

18 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

Waugh was on a fan channel earlier, I've not listened myself, but the summary on incomings was:

Howe is really happy with the business done to date but he wants to add goals to the squad 

By getting a lot of business done early we've bough ourselves time to assess the market and consider our options 

Asensio has been offered to us but he's not a priority. He doesn't fit the clubs profile of what they're looking for

We like Paqueta and we asked about him in January but he's not a priority due to his price and the position he plays. We see his best position as a number ten, but our system doesn't require one 

The situation is fluid. They initially wanted a centre forward such as DCL to directly compete with Wilson but they now want a younger player who can play across the front line 

Isak continues to feature heavily in our recruitment discussions 

He thinks there's around £40 million left to spend maybe a bit more than that

Newcastle are keeping targets close to their chest which makes it frustrating to report on

May as well have just said this and nothing else.

Think we are in a tough position in the market. With FFP, wage structure and no European football it's going to be hard to compete with other clubs for certain players even if do have the money.

The likes of Jesus, Raphinha type transfers we don't have a chance with. Operating in the bracket below is full of pitfalls as Everton found out. If you're not careful it's easy to blow 30/40m a signing and 100k+ p/w contracts and be left with an average squad. 

Need a Cm, RW and a striker. Fearing injury to Bruno G. Wilson and Fraser is going to be out a few weeks is pretty certain. The width of the squad is slim, but I understand that it will take time before you have a good squad.

Obviously still very early days, but I do kind of see where AP is coming from. Forget the top 6 clubs signings, ours thus far are no different, maybe even lower than that 7-10 range. I don't think Pope is much of an improvement on Dubs, probably a midtable player at best, same with Targett who we had for our upturn last season, so kind of just maintaining rather than strengthening, so it's basically just Botman in as an improvement, which is probably comparable to Carlos at Villa, who have also signed Kamara, as well as Coutinho, and also West Ham with that expensive Moroccan defender who we were very briefly linked with.

I am expecting a couple more, but when City were taken over you knew they were taking over, and would be spending a lot more than that upper midtable pack, whereas if you were back from a gap year or something and just wiki'd Newcastle 2022/23 and saw 'transfers in', you wouldn't think there had been such a significant recent takeover.

Times have obviously changed since the City days, FFP, other ambitious clubs, a lot more competitive, but I do think there is serious work still needed to hope for even a 7th or 8th type finish, and hopefully we do bring in a couple of proper noteworthy signings that clubs like Villa, Leicester, West Ham etc. might say 'wow'.

Edit - but of course it clearly is a lot better than 10 months ago, as even 'just' being a comfortable 10th placed team, with no real relegation fears, seemed a million miles away

Edited by Paullow

Just now, gdm said:

Decent enough Right Centre back : plus cover for right back 

23 years old - Tottenham graduate 

played 10/11 times last season 

would be a nice squad boost 

we would seriously have to look at selling Lascelles 

or let Fede go on a free (or both)

#giantsquad

I mean here's another example. Spurs cashing in on a 23 year old academy CB that's not ever really made the grade there but has clear pedigree at national youth level and played enough games to show he is PL level. Will probably bring in £10 million or so at a minimum.

Our equivalent is Kelland Watts. 22 years old and played over 100 games in the FL. How much will we get for him if we sold him? 500k?

The academy is such a big thing. Our geography is both a weakness and an advantage. London is a hothouse probably second only to Paris for young talent globally. The North East doesn't seem to be that any more - but we are the only PL club for miles. If we can build the pathways and infrastructure it could be a huge benefit. Even regularly producing lower PL and Championship level players would be significant.

30 minutes ago, Krabbe2 said:

Need a Cm, RW and a striker. Fearing injury to Bruno G. Wilson and Fraser is going to be out a few weeks is pretty certain. The width of the squad is slim, but I understand that it will take time before you have a good squad.

Right wing & striker = Necessity

CM = Luxury

1 hour ago, ponsaelius said:

We're basically starting from ground zero, like. No saleable assets in terms of existing squad/deadwood, no academy of note producing players that can generate additional funds.

Look at the outgoings of the likes of Chelsea, Liverpool and Man City. They make millions selling players you've never even heard of. 

The fact we can't even bring in even a little bit of additional money through sales is a pain right now. Even a few million each for deadwood would have built up to getting another first team player.

It's going to be such a long process catching up. 

A lot of our fans have a shock to the system coming up, far to much talk of just splashing £50m on a player because we ‘can’ and if we don’t bring in another CM it’s a disappointing window. I’ll say it again the run since Jan skewed a lot of fans expectations towards being unreasonable, people saying that based off the form of the last few months we are basically already a top 6 side so let’s just add to our squad to make sure we maintain that.. crazy stuff. Just a few months ago we still had Ashley and Bruce in charge, there was no Bruno, Joelinton was still a massive failure and a waste of money. People underestimate the amount of work that we need to do to even get close to being a regular European side, alot of bumps in the road up ahead. We could be sat here next summer discussing how the season went wrong, Howe isn’t here anymore and Botman isn’t good enough - obviously I’m not saying any of these will happen but we need to be prepared for it to not be anywhere near as straightforward as some make out.

Slow steady growth as a team but also as a club, a lot of damage of the last 15 years will be undone along the way. 2 more signings (RW, ST) will be a very good window for us, look at our squad at the end of last summers window and compare.. speaks volumes for me.

Edited by Nine

At this stage, Diaby is the only one I’ll get genuinely excited by. Hope we’re really in for him as I reckon so much of the “interest” in players we do have is massively overstated.

1 hour ago, Paullow said:

Obviously still very early days, but I do kind of see where AP is coming from. Forget the top 6 clubs signings, ours thus far are no different, maybe even lower than that 7-10 range. I don't think Pope is much of an improvement on Dubs, probably a midtable player at best, same with Targett who we had for our upturn last season, so kind of just maintaining rather than strengthening, so it's basically just Botman in as an improvement, which is probably comparable to Carlos at Villa, who have also signed Kamara, as well as Coutinho, and also West Ham with that expensive Moroccan defender who we were very briefly linked with.

I am expecting a couple more, but when City were taken over you knew they were taking over, and would be spending a lot more than that upper midtable pack, whereas if you were back from a gap year or something and just wiki'd Newcastle 2022/23 and saw 'transfers in', you wouldn't think there had been such a significant recent takeover.

Times have obviously changed since the City days, FFP, other ambitious clubs, a lot more competitive, but I do think there is serious work still needed to hope for even a 7th or 8th type finish, and hopefully we do bring in a couple of proper noteworthy signings that clubs like Villa, Leicester, West Ham etc. might say 'wow'.

Edit - but of course it clearly is a lot better than 10 months ago, as even 'just' being a comfortable 10th placed team, with no real relegation fears, seemed a million miles away

Of course there’s loads more work to do.

But that work can no longer be done in one or two transfer windows like it could be done back then. 

And that’s even if we have the money to spend as big as City or Chelsea did back then. Like I’ve said before, we don’t really know how much PIF is prepared to give us and just because they are super rich with almost limitless resources it really doesn’t mean we are. 

Not sure if anyones seen this but the express reporting today that Zapata might be available for £15m and we play Atalanta in a couple of weeks time.. he was the one I really wanted in Jan before we signed Wood. Age not on his side and he could be quicker but attribute wise he is made for the prem, depending on who we get at RW he might seriously be an option. 

9 minutes ago, Nine said:

Not sure if anyones seen this but the express reporting today that Zapata might be available for £15m and we play Atalanta in a couple of weeks time.. he was the one I really wanted in Jan before we signed Wood. Age not on his side and he could be quicker but attribute wise he is made for the prem, depending on who we get at RW he might seriously be an option. 

Think that ship has sailed. Would’ve been a great option in Jan instead of Wood, but for whatever reason didn’t come. With the owners speaking of lowering the age of the squad as well as wages, just can’t see it happening, especially as he wouldn’t be first choice striker (after Wilson). 

1 hour ago, Dr.Spaceman said:

That would be a great signing.

Seems a strange one tbh, do we need another cb/rb? A nice back up option to Trippier sure, but I’ve always maintained that you don’t buy players to be back-ups; you buy improvements. It’s the one thing about Rafa’s transfer dealings that frustrated me.

26 minutes ago, Manxst said:

Think that ship has sailed. Would’ve been a great option in Jan instead of Wood, but for whatever reason didn’t come. With the owners speaking of lowering the age of the squad as well as wages, just can’t see it happening, especially as he wouldn’t be first choice striker (after Wilson). 

Yeah, would come down to if he’d be prepared to not be a first choice which you’d assume he wouldn’t. Just think he would be a very good stop gap option if needs must and we fail with our main (younger) targets there.

7 minutes ago, McCormick said:

Seems a strange one tbh, do we need another cb/rb? A nice back up option to Trippier sure, but I’ve always maintained that you don’t buy players to be back-ups; you buy improvements. It’s the one thing about Rafa’s transfer dealings that frustrated me.

Think Howe buys into squad competition so having someone who's good enough to challenge for a couple of positions makes most sense when the alternatives are only good enough to fill in at best. 

4 minutes ago, Thumbheed said:

Think Howe buys into squad competition so having someone who's good enough to challenge for a couple of positions makes most sense when the alternatives are only good enough to fill in at best. 

He's an improvement on Kraft, Manquillo and can cover CB, presumably better than Lascelles and is 10 years younger than Fede. He'll play loads even if he isn't in our best 11.

15 minutes ago, McCormick said:

Man, Rafa was given like a tenner to spend 

6 minutes ago, Nine said:

Yeah, would come down to if he’d be prepared to not be a first choice which you’d assume he wouldn’t. Just think he would be a very good stop gap option if needs must and we fail with our main (younger) targets there.

I think in the clubs eyes, Wood already is that stop gap option. We’ve been there and done it, and spent £25m on the ageing forward. Now we need to get young players who might not start every game, but can grow into the club and team, and also play a part now (when required). 

Man, I can't even lie, I really prefer a more gradual build centred around clever scouting and young talents, so I'm enjoying the current process. 

Especially with the fact we have such a good young manager in place too. Think we are going to be a big surprise this coming season, and will be in great shape going forward.

26 minutes ago, McCormick said:

I believe in getting backups provided they are younger and have room to grow and develop further, and they do not break the bank. Our right sided centre backs are all older guys, so I imagine he's a potential long term partner for Botman, provided he develops well.

Edited by KaKa

28 minutes ago, McCormick said:

This sort of signing will look a lot better once we actually get the forward positions sorted this summer. If we got a decent striker and RW then these will be seen as great future prospects.

12 minutes ago, LV said:

Man, Rafa was given like a tenner to spend 

True (and I loved Rafa) but I believe you’re always better off in the long-run spending your limited resources on quality rather than quantity. Buying back-ups (especially older ones) just gives you a problem later on as it’s difficult to shift bit-part players. Like Kaka said, if you are buying a back-up it should be a prospect that you can develop and ease into the first team as your current options age.