More transfer rumours

midds

JWP predictably popular with fans but his game is 90% set-pieces and there'd be no value in his likely transfer fee. Sort of thing Everton would have done when they had money IMO. 

6 minutes ago, Conjo said:

Don't quite see how JWP would fit into our team, and we already got pretty decent set piece takers.

Not as good as JWP though. Would actually sign him for that alone.

4 minutes ago, STM said:

JWP is fucking class. You lot are mental.

Yeah, he is…in the right system with the right players around him. I don’t think we’d benefit to the value of his large transfer fee though, if he was playing alongside Bruno and Big Joe. He wouldn’t bring enough to the pitch that wouldn’t already be covered by those two, other than set pieces. 

I think JWP would be a statement tbh…in the sense that he’s probably one of the best players outside of the bigger clubs in the prem and is currently flavour of the month. Think we could do better for less money though. Having said that I do think he would improve our central midfield if we’re looking to retain and move the ball a bit more.

3 minutes ago, r0cafella said:

Jwp wouldn’t be any form of statement. 

Signing a mid table PL club's best player (who also happens to be an England international)? Aye it would. It draws a line in the sand and is us saying "We're bigger than you, and we know it." I get that he's not as good as Bruno, but it's way easier to cherry pick the best players from Ligue 1 teams not called PSG than it is to sign another PL club's star academy product who's in his prime.

9 minutes ago, Manxst said:

Yeah, he is…in the right system with the right players around him. I don’t think we’d benefit to the value of his large transfer fee though, if he was playing alongside Bruno and Big Joe. He wouldn’t bring enough to the pitch that wouldn’t already be covered by those two, other than set pieces. 

And whilst I get that to an extent, we need to get out of this idea of only having 11 players. We need a squad.

Given his passing range, I could easily see JWP playing the Shelvey role, releasing Bruno. One of the benefits of JWP is his versatility.

On the other hand, for the 40m that they would want... we could just sign Paqueta for a few extra quid.

2 minutes ago, Dr.Spaceman said:

Signing a mid table PL club's best player (who also happens to be an England international)? Aye it would. It draws a line in the sand and is us saying "We're bigger than you, and we know it." I get that he's not as good as Bruno, but it's way easier to cherry pick the best players from Ligue 1 teams not called PSG than it is to sign another PL club's star academy product who's in his prime.

We are bigger than Southampton we don’t need to overpay for JWP to prove it. 

I’m not saying he’s bad or anything of that nature, but given the price and how much FFP seems to be cropping up it seems a poor use of resources to me. 

On the flip side, I can see some logic if we are continuing with our system and he was the Shelvey replacement, especially if we sign a right winger who is quick and willing to run behind. 

Joelinton             Bruno

JWP

Or:

Joelinton               JWP

Bruno

Either of these would work but actually, Howe might want Bruno and JWP in a double pivot.

BTW, I don't for one second think we are in for him. He won't leave the Saints IMO. :lol:

I’d prefer Bissouma but the fact Dan Ashworth is here and we haven’t shown the slightest interest tells it’s own story.

I know JWP is a better player than just his free kicks but not sure where he fits in.

Our midfield seems like a collection of odd parts at the moment. Like where does Willock even fit in?

JWP is a fantastic player. Obviously he gets a lot attention for his set pieces but his overall play is really good too. I hate saying this because it sets off the gammon klaxons but if he was coming from a La Liga team (where I think he’d do very well) with tilde letters in his name he’d get more of the respect he deserves imo.

Edited by McCormick

Just now, Dr Jinx said:

I’d prefer Bissouma but the fact Dan Ashworth is here and we haven’t shown the slightest interest tells it’s own story.

I know JWP is a better player than just his free kicks but not sure where he fits in.

Our midfield seems like a collection of odd parts at the moment. Like where does Willock even fit in?

How do we know this though?

4 minutes ago, STM said:

And whilst I get that to an extent, we need to get out of this idea of only having 11 players. We need a squad.

Given his passing range, I could easily see JWP playing the Shelvey role, releasing Bruno. One of the benefits of JWP is his versatility.

On the other hand, for the 40m that they would want... we could just sign Paqueta for a few extra quid.

Agreed. But if we’re spending £40m on JWP, then there are other positions which are in greater need, rather than for a ‘squad’ player.