More transfer rumours

midds

12 minutes ago, et tu brute said:

I've been saying it for weeks that a quality CM is an absolute must if we really want to make the move forward. Not next window or the one after, we need one in place this window. The current midfield we have now are not going to control games. 

I'm sure we would all love to have the very best players in all areas, but we aren't going to turn this around overnight. It's not strictly true that a quality CM is an absolute must to move forward. If we get a genuine high quality RW as well as a rising star striker to add to Botman and Pope, I would say that's a pretty big step forward.

Yes we do ideally want that quality in CM as well, but I can accept we won't get everything we want in one window. That said, I do believe that if the right player becomes available to genuinely improve us, these owners will try to bring them in. They will be looking for long term investments, players who will grow with us over the next few seasons.

I think Howe is very wary of bringing in too many new players at once and risking diluting the team ethic/ message he has been training into the existing team since he started.

New players will take a while to get up to speed I guess and I think he’ll want to start the season as strongly as we can. 

3 minutes ago, LV said:

I think Howe is very wary of bringing in too many new players at once and risking diluting the team ethic/ message he has been training into the existing team since he started.

New players will take a while to get up to speed I guess and I think he’ll want to start the season as strongly as we can. 

Agree with this and most fans on same page.

Targett

Pope

Botman

RW

Loan striker obligation to buy.

We'd have taken that before the window?

I think it would be wise to see more of Bruno in the Prem before spending big bucks on another midfielder. We need to establish his best role and then buy others who'll complement it.

We also need to see how the team is going to set up when (hopefully) not battling relegation. It may be a different system.

5 hours ago, Dr Jinx said:

We’re not back channeling with Rafa.

As soon as Eddie Howe and his staff came in, and Dan Ashworth, the club have total faith in their setup and judgement.

Howe would rightly be pissed off if he found out the club were taking advice on his role from outside. He’s the manager now and the club have moved on completely from the past while they will obviously acknowledge the efforts of previous staff.

Just wanted to share that Rafa has form for helping out former clubs in terms of sharing his opinion and scouting reports on players.

Suarez was one of the players Rafa's team scouted and tracked. When we were thinking of signing him, our transfer committee did reach out to Rafa, according to folks in the know, and he did share a lot of information. Bascombe also mentioned it once I believe. 

Coutinho was another player with whom Liverpool consulted with Rafa. This was Damien Commoli, our first DOF under FSG on Rafa's role on the Coutinho transfer:

"We didn't even know he was that good - it was difficult to watch him play because he was never playing at Inter. We knew about him, we knew he was good, but it was only when Rafa said he's going to be world-class. When somebody like Rafa says a thing about a player like this, you listen."

Basically our scout reached out to Rafa on advice. He pretty much gave them all the information and background on Coutinho told LFC that you are going to regret it if you miss out on this transfer. 

Don't think of it as Rafa undermining Howe or Ashworth. Like Howe or Klopp or Ashworth or Julian Ward could just call Rafa up and ask for his opinion on players and he is the type to share all he knows. 

There is also the rumour that after your season in the championship, we reached out to Rafa regarding Lascelles. Rafa told us to stay the f*** away as he needs him. Out of respect to Rafa, we moved on to other targets. Again rumours only, not confirmed. 

Reading the arguments above:

since Eddie came in his main deficiency was the defence (now sorted), followed by a huge lack of goals. The right hand wing and a reserve striker are musts!

Another midfielder would be a bonus but as it stands our midfield was the best part of our team second half of last season.

If we were to add a midfielder, I dont actually agree with the majority that a DM is what we need. I think a hard working AM/No10 is much more necessary (Paqueta pls), but Joe willock could easily recover his goalscoring form? The work rate is already there…

1 minute ago, Hanshithispantz said:

Always thought Willock looks like a forward tbh. I would have put him in Wood's place at the back end of last season before Wilson returned.

He's clever as fuck in and around the box.

Tend to agree, don’t think he’s tidy enough to be a top midfielder either. 

Guest HTT II

Willock is shit on the ball really, he’s better off it or running into it and finishing. He does press well and can nick a ball or two here and there, but rarely does owt with it. He’s a forward IMO, not a midfielder.

2 minutes ago, HTT II said:

Willock is shit on the ball really, he’s better off it or running into it and finishing. He does press well and can nick a ball or two here and there, but rarely does owt with it. He’s a forward IMO, not a midfielder.

Wilock isn’t shit on the ball ffs. 

37 minutes ago, TRon said:

I'm sure we would all love to have the very best players in all areas, but we aren't going to turn this around overnight. It's not strictly true that a quality CM is an absolute must to move forward. If we get a genuine high quality RW as well as a rising star striker to add to Botman and Pope, I would say that's a pretty big step forward.

Yes we do ideally want that quality in CM as well, but I can accept we won't get everything we want in one window. That said, I do believe that if the right player becomes available to genuinely improve us, these owners will try to bring them in. They will be looking for long term investments, players who will grow with us over the next few seasons.

I disagree I maintain a CM is just as important as a RW. I am pretty sure though both will be brought in this window.

His passing and carrying stats are bad for a midfielder like. He's good in wide areas when he has space to run into and he is neat enough to play cheaky one twos and the like, but compare him to someone like Rice and it's absolutely night and day.

Place Rice further up the pitch and he'd be shite on the ball, from deeper areas though he's one of the best in the league.

Edited by Hanshithispantz

7 minutes ago, HTT II said:

Not shit on the ball at all, he doesn’t have many tricks but he’s good at running with the ball at pace 

Guest HTT II
1 minute ago, gbandit said:

Not shit on the ball at all, he doesn’t have many tricks but he’s good at running with the ball at pace 

I think he’s better at running onto balls, but you are right he’s ever enough, but I’m talking about general pass and go, touch, quick play, longer passing etc.

Newcastle scored 44 goals last season, West Ham 60

Leicester 62

Man City 57

Arsenal 61

Within that 44, Fraser scored 2 and Almiron 1. A right forward who can get 10+, plus cover for Wilson is essential to get that 44 up to 60 odd.

A lot of the possession stats will improve with Trippier back in the side. Good full backs take the pressure off CBS and CMs and Targett/Trippier were a big reason the possession stats improved post January.

8 minutes ago, WilliamPS said:

Leicester 62

Man City 57

Arsenal 61

Within that 44, Fraser scored 2 and Almiron 1. A right forward who can get 10+, plus cover for Wilson is essential to get that 44 up to 60 odd.

A lot of the possession stats will improve with Trippier back in the side. Good full backs take the pressure off CBS and CMs and Targett/Trippier were a big reason the possession stats improved post January.

Man City scored 99… oh it was Man Utd who scored 57.

Edited by Coffee_Johnny

21 minutes ago, Hanshithispantz said:

His passing and carrying stats are bad for a midfielder like. He's good in wide areas when he has space to run into and he is neat enough to play cheaky one twos and the like, but compare him to someone like Rice and it's absolutely night and day.

Place Rice further up the pitch and he'd be shite on the ball, from deeper areas though he's one of the best in the league.

He doesn't just play safe passes though, he tries to carry the ball and sometimes go past people, that would make his stats look worse than someone like Colback. He can be a bit sloppy I agree, I just think because of his ambition on the ball he can be given a bit more leeway.

35 minutes ago, Hanshithispantz said:

Agreed. That’s the main reason why Arsenal sold him. Stats and numbers don’t lie. The guy can’t play in a possession based football. 

58 minutes ago, rgk_lfc said:

Just wanted to share that Rafa has form for helping out former clubs in terms of sharing his opinion and scouting reports on players.

Suarez was one of the players Rafa's team scouted and tracked. When we were thinking of signing him, our transfer committee did reach out to Rafa, according to folks in the know, and he did share a lot of information. Bascombe also mentioned it once I believe. 

Coutinho was another player with whom Liverpool consulted with Rafa. This was Damien Commoli, our first DOF under FSG on Rafa's role on the Coutinho transfer:

"We didn't even know he was that good - it was difficult to watch him play because he was never playing at Inter. We knew about him, we knew he was good, but it was only when Rafa said he's going to be world-class. When somebody like Rafa says a thing about a player like this, you listen."

Basically our scout reached out to Rafa on advice. He pretty much gave them all the information and background on Coutinho told LFC that you are going to regret it if you miss out on this transfer. 

Don't think of it as Rafa undermining Howe or Ashworth. Like Howe or Klopp or Ashworth or Julian Ward could just call Rafa up and ask for his opinion on players and he is the type to share all he knows. 

There is also the rumour that after your season in the championship, we reached out to Rafa regarding Lascelles. Rafa told us to stay the f*** away as he needs him. Out of respect to Rafa, we moved on to other targets. Again rumours only, not confirmed. 

This is what I suspected. When you have someone like Rafa as a phone-a-friend, you use it.

I'd like to think that a part of Eddie Howes "education" trips to Madrid and the likes were partly a networking mission.

You can't tell me that when we signed Trippier, Howes relationship with Simeone didn't make a small difference.

50 minutes ago, WilliamPS said:

Leicester 62

Man City 57

Arsenal 61

Thats what I've been saying we haven't even started in this window yet we haven't filled our priority positions, Botman was already negotiated in Jan, Targett here on loan and jumped at the opportunity for Pope. Big money going on a centre forward and right winger to get our goals in open play up.