More transfer rumours

midds

I view it as a test to see who really meant it when they said (in the days and weeks after the takeover) that they were just happy to have owners that cared and were fine with building, etc

In two windows we've replaced the entire back 5 and gotten an amazing CM in. So we haven't exactly been miserly nor have we exploded with spending. They'll do a deal if it's there - words I never believed under Ashley but do with this lot - and I trust Howe's judgement on priority upgrades being required at the back before the front.

Not even August yet btw. :ructions:

6 minutes ago, Happinesstan said:

This lawyer bloke will see us getting some commercial deals completed in the next couple of weeks, then we'll go mental.

I was thinking about that appointment, plus the fact that Eales has only just been brought in.

I wonder whether they really are just going to use this season to get everything in order - give Ashworth & Eales the time to get everything just as they need it, the new Council is there to oversee the legal aspect etc then see a real push next summer. Explains why there was no mad rush to end the Fun88 deal before this season. 

They may even have explained this to the players they've brought in - use 22/23 to bed in, then we all push on the following season. 

Like Mehrdad said - building the skyscraper starts with the foundations...

2 minutes ago, Zero said:

I would be honest to say this is not the window I expected to be, considering the wealth of our owner.

They've spent £160 million in 6 months? Likely more to come. They said this would be a gradual process from the start, they never promised to spend silly money immediately.

10 minutes ago, thomas said:

I view it as a test to see who really meant it when they said (in the days and weeks after the takeover) that they were just happy to have owners that cared and were fine with building, etc

In two windows we've replaced the entire back 5 and gotten an amazing CM in. So we haven't exactly been miserly nor have we exploded with spending. They'll do a deal if it's there - words I never believed under Ashley but do with this lot - and I trust Howe's judgement on priority upgrades being required at the back before the front.

Not even August yet btw. :ructions:

:thup:

I think a lot of people have convinced themselves we’re the ‘richest club’ and are now astounded when we are not acting like it. 

The truth is we had no idea how the new owners we’re going to run it and the proof really is in the pudding i.e. how they act in the transfer windows.

They said themselves it would be slow and steady and we wouldn’t be overpaying on deals but I don’t think some people have wanted to listen. 

The owners are literally delivering what they said they would. Don’t get me wrong, I’d love it if we spent more and got in some top quality statement signings but I really don’t think that is what they are about and I’m definitely happy enough with how they are doing it at the moment. 

1 minute ago, LV said:

:thup:

I think a lot of people have convinced themselves we’re the ‘richest club’ and are now astounded when we are not acting like it. 

The truth is we had no idea how the new owners we’re going to run it and the proof really is in the pudding i.e. how they act in the transfer windows.

They said themselves it would be slow and steady and we wouldn’t be overpaying on deals but I don’t think some people have wanted to listen. 

The owners are literally delivering what they said they would. Don’t get me wrong, I’d love it if we spent more and got in some top quality statement signings but I really don’t think that is what they are about and I’m definitely happy enough with how they are doing it at the moment. 

I think most fans(more so on social media) listened to Stavely say win the league in 5 years and expected us to go big. The owners themselves have probably had their eyes opened since then with just how much of a mess we were in.

1 minute ago, SUPERTOON said:

I think most fans(more so on social media) listened to Stavely say win the league in 5 years and expected us to go big. The owners themselves have probably had their eyes opened since then with just how much of a mess we were in.

Did she say win the league in 5 years?? I thought it was challenge for it in 10 years 

6 minutes ago, LV said:

Did she say win the league in 5 years?? I thought it was challenge for it in 10 years 

I’m pretty sure she said 5 years, could be wrong like.

On another note I tried to find the article where she said it and realised I’m blocked by Keith Downie on twitter despite never interacting with him once 😂

Edited by SUPERTOON

5 minutes ago, SUPERTOON said:

I’m pretty sure she said 5 years, could be wrong like.

When asked by Sky Sports News where Newcastle will be in the next five to ten years, Staveley said: “Newcastle deserves to be top of the league. We want to get there. It will take time, but we will get there.”

36 minutes ago, kingxlnc said:

I see this window happening in three phases. 

Phase 1 - June - early business, get low hanging fruit done, make Targett permanent, follow through Botman from January discussion, get Pope (from relegated club before anyone else comes in) - and complete defence. Even you can see from the Ekiteke it was just following on from the work and preparation they did in January where it was nearly a done deal then. 

Phase 2 - July - clear the decks. The current squad is majorly bloated, so there's been a lot of work in getting rid of the fringe players, with only Ritchie, Murphy Matt Longstaff and Fernandez left out of the obvious ones to get rid of. Frees up space for 2-3 new players. 

Phase 3 - August - get attacking reinforcements, as the market settles and panic sets in at selling clubs that they may not get their asking prices and also see what loan players become available in the last week of window. 

I genuinely believe they are measured in everything they do and so will have a clear plan. I wouldn't rule out anyone yet - even the likes of Diaby or Pacqueta. 

I did think we'd be in for some freebies in June - but I think their plan is to sprinkle stardust in with reliable trusty PL players with good character (what Howe loves), rather than add decent to good risks who may not settle like a Belotti. For every Botman there's a Targett/Pope. For every Pacqueta there's a Harrison. For every Diaby/Isak there's a Broja on loan, etc. 

Honestly think we're having an absolute nightmare through no fault of our own.

When did Henri Saivet's contract end? July this year or last?

As an aside, I think we're doing well in moving players on. We'd have been unlikely to get a fee for most of the deadwood so getting them off the books and freeing up space in the squad has been good work.

Obviously it’s all about opinion and I know some would disagree, but I’ve mentioned previously that if we are struggling with the budget then I would have preferred not to sign Botman and spend bigger on the attacking reinforcements.

Take away Joelinton and we've already broken our transfer record 4 times within half a year :lol:

We'll probably do it again this window too.

The most important moves are being made off the pitch in anycase, but over the next couole of windows we'll 100% continue to see a dramatic improvement to the squad. Both in purchases, and exsisting players performing beyond what they were previously seemingly capable of.

Guest reefatoon

When did our fans turn into such a bunch of fannies? [emoji38]

We will bring players in man you bunch of entitled soppy nowts. [emoji38]

1 minute ago, reefatoon said:

When did our fans turn into such a bunch of fannies? [emoji38]

We will bring players in man you bunch of entitled soppy nowts. [emoji38]

Quite a few (particularly on twitter) are well into the unrealistic expectations persona that we've always had levelled at us.

Maupay of Brighton potentially leaving for 15M. I think I'd have him here at that price. Average goal scoring record but very good presser and worker and reliable in terms of appearances. 

Would be decent back up for Wilson at that price or even as part of a front 2. Not one for the long term perhaps but could do well for a year or 2 and then longer as a squad player.

Guest HTT II
1 minute ago, Mazzy said:

Maupay of Brighton potentially leaving for 15M. I think I'd have him here at that price. Average goal scoring record but very good presser and worker and reliable in terms of appearances. 

Would be decent back up for Wilson at that price or even as part of a front 2. Not one for the long term perhaps but could do well for a year or 2 and then longer as a squad player.

Just a French Wood though, no?

I'm happy with what we've brought in so far this window. We've made no mistakes, and right now that is crucial since we're limited to what we can do with FFP over our heads. Anyone can overpay for a player, or bring in a player no one wants. It takes time, patience and an understanding of how things work to bring in quality for reasonable fees, especially when you've been billed the richest club in the world (when in reality, we're not)