More transfer rumours

midds

5 minutes ago, Gallowgate Toon said:

Lingard would replace Fraser or, dare I say it, ASM, surely? Even if we move to 3-4-3 he'll pick up one of the wing spots.

He's more of an attacking midfielder/second striker now. Howe likes to play a 442 with a diamond, I would expect that he'd be the attacking point of that diamond and ASM would be on the left, with Fraser or someone else on the right. 

6 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

He's more of an attacking midfielder/second striker now. Howe likes to play a 442 with a diamond, I would expect that he'd be the attacking point of that diamond and ASM would be on the left, with Fraser or someone else on the right. 

That would somehow be worse than our current midfield. 

I thought he regularly played a 4-4-1-1, with genuine wide men and more of a second striker off the front man, not just an extra midfielder or a 10. 

Who was the England manager that went with the diamond quite often?  Mind has gone blank. 

1 minute ago, Lush Vlad said:

I thought he regularly played a 4-4-1-1, with genuine wide men and more of a second striker off the front man, not just an extra midfielder or a 10. 

Who was the England manager that went with the diamond quite often?  Mind has gone blank. 

When Howe came in and a Bournemouth fan was posting on here, they mentioned that he changes formations but that the main two were I think 442 with a diamond and 4411. In a 4411 I would expect Lingard to be the 1 behind the striker or in midfield with Joelinton as the 1 who gets back and supports the midfield. 

14 minutes ago, Lush Vlad said:

Hoddle.

We are soon inside the last part of the transfer window and its clearly allowed to criticism what has happened here.

EVERYONE knew we had to upgrade in close to all areas om the field to keep the place and what we have received so far are 2 players? 1 major upgrade and one temp sollution for an invited player? I am hugely disappointed and the relegation is currently almost guaranteed.

10 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

When Howe came in and a Bournemouth fan was posting on here, they mentioned that he changes formations but that the main two were I think 442 with a diamond and 4411. In a 4411 I would expect Lingard to be the 1 behind the striker or in midfield with Joelinton as the 1 who gets back and supports the midfield. 

His adherence to 4 at the back is hamstringing us at the moment. Convinced that a back 5 is the way to see us safe.

2 minutes ago, toon25 said:

His adherence to 4 at the back is hamstringing us at the moment. Convinced that a back 5 is the way to see us safe.

I think that was one of the other formations he did use at Bournemouth but much less frequently. I do think it's the way forward though, I know Brentford scored 3 times (due to errors in some cases) but that was definitely the most cohesive football we've played under him and on another day or with Dubravka in goal that's a 3-1 or 3-2, but he hasn't played it at all since that match. 

1 hour ago, Yorkie said:

I've gone back and forth on Lingard but I'd certainly take him at this point. Where previously we've looked capable of being dangerous, I basically never feel confident that we're going to score now. It's Maxi or nowt unless Wood can establish himself, but even then the latter needs better service. 

If we're to continue with the set-up and style of play we've been seeing, the order of priority is, imo:

CM/CDM      critical 

CB                 high

RW                medium

CAM             medium

CF no 2        medium

LB                 low

GKP              summer

If we're changing tack - for instance, going with three CBs and wing-backs (which, tbh, I've wondered if Howe has had in mind given then desire for two new CBs and a LB) - then we could probably mitigate not signing a Shelvey replacement. 

(for fun, as our work IT systems are kaput):

Dubravka

Carlos      Fernandez    Schar 

Trippier                                        Gosens

Shelvey     Joelinton

Lingard                        ASM

Wood

... a la Rafa's 5-4-1 out of possession/3-4-3 in possession, with Lingard and Maxi as Almiron and Perez. 

All good bar Shelvey- just a massive whole in CM. Needs replacing ASAP 

Just now, The Prophet said:

I must say I must have watched the career of a different Lingard :lol:

Remember when he was a game off going a full season without a goal or an assist? Again I'd take him, but I don't think he'll be that transformative.

It's a mixed bag, but imo he's been consistently very good when he plays for England and was at West Ham with a run of games.  

Seems like they are going to loan their way through the midfield in the final week? Idk. Or we’ve just not heard anything as it works around in the background. 

Clearly it isn’t this obvious - but I’d have sorted a deal for Ramsey on loan with option to buy. I’d have paid Gladbach to buy Zakaria now. I’d have done similar for Ginter too. I’d test Valencia on Soler given their well documented financial issues. 

Just now, KDT said:

Nobody on here really has a clue about what is or isn't going on, I'm not sure why people get so riled up by it.

Aye, I'm following it intensely, but I realise it's completely out of my control. There's still plenty of time left in the window and it's clear that we are working tirelessly. There's easily £100M+ still to spend, too, which will eventually translate to 3-4 players coming in that are significantly better than what we have.

Think people just want to see some movement for sanity purposes. I think deep down everyone knows this was a difficult window but probably all underestimated how difficult it would be and our inability to get 2-3 more wins hasn’t helped anything at all 

22 minutes ago, r0cafella said:

He’s better than Fraser, Murphy and Almiron and is thus an upgrade on what we have. 

Can't really argue with that at the end of the day. All of them are taking up precious attacking slots and producing in maybe one game in five. If that.