More transfer rumours

midds

3 minutes ago, TRon said:

No. The only reason we never heard anything about previous transfers is because we hardly done any. No one gave a shit who Newcastle were interested in. 

What? I’m talking about pre twitter. Pre SSN with non updates every hour. Nothing to do with our previous owner. To me it’s just be preferable to the days we woke up in the morning and Shearer was on the brink of joining. Now we have journalists copying other journalists and weirdos pretending to be journalists and itk

Edited by gdm

1 minute ago, gdm said:

Even the concrete stuff is dull. Botman & Carlos for example. It’s the same every day. Bid - bid rejected - work to be done 

That's what I mean though. Most of the developments won't actually be developments. They'll just be negotiating. The likes of Sky have to keep the viewers coming in somehow.

1 minute ago, The Prophet said:

Chris Wood was quite out of the blue. Edwards reported we were interested over the weekend, Hope denied it, then we'd had a bid accepted by the Tuesday.

There was loads of talk about it so much do Burnley said they had no intention of selling to us then edwards said he heard about the release clause

Edited by gdm

Why are we trying to sign players that cost £40-50M? Thoose deals almost never gets done in january and always takes time to get done.

I'd rather we go for cheaper players who can keep us up and then, if we stay up, go for the bigger deals in the summer.

The cheaper players then shows to be either good enough or will become squad players next season.

I think it's best to take it step by step and the first step is to avoid relegation this season.

It's been much harder than I thought this window. We know we have actually tried this time instead of pretending to put in a bid that's only 30% of the actual players value. Must be very frustrating for new owners and management having so many bids rejected and clubs and agents pissing about. Maybe as it comes nearer the end of the window clubs will realise if they want the money they will need to stop time wasting and trying to rip up off.

other than Lingard, I find it a bit strange how we haven't been linked to any decent loan deals.

I know it's a new era and all that, but historically we've played the loan market quite well. Remy, Dubravka, Kenedy, Rondon, Willock etc all came in and made an instant impact.

tin hat on, but now we're a potential threat, could PL clubs be refusing to "help" us out?

2 minutes ago, HUGZ said:

other than Lingard, I find it a bit strange how we haven't been linked to any decent loan deals.

I know it's a new era and all that, but historically we've played the loan market quite well. Remy, Dubravka, Kenedy, Rondon, Willock etc all came in and made an instant impact.

tin hat on, but now we're a potential threat, could PL clubs be refusing to "help" us out?

I think it's more a covid issue.  Teams don't want to risk being caught short.

8 minutes ago, Toon No9 said:

Why are we trying to sign players that cost £40-50M? Thoose deals almost never gets done in january and always takes time to get done.

I'd rather we go for cheaper players who can keep us up and then, if we stay up, go for the bigger deals in the summer.

The cheaper players then shows to be either good enough or will become squad players next season.

I think it's best to take it step by step and the first step is to avoid relegation this season.

Who’s to say we don’t have that level of player already lined up for last few days of the window if no luck with our top targets who’ve all seemed to of indicated they’d come this month? 

Howay then, it feels like it's time for another recap of where things are at:

Centre-back

Clearly still working on both a right-sided CB and a left-sided CB, with Diego Carlos of Sevilla the clear first choice at RCB (Gleison Bremer of Torino and James Tarkowski of Burnley still being consistently linked as alternates, with Nikola Milenkovic of Fiorentina as a recent rumour of interest).

With the Sven Botman (Lille) deal seemingly dead in the water, it appears that Benoit Badiashile of Monaco is the second choice at LCB (rumours of revived interest in Nico Schlotterbeck of Freiburg and a new link to Attila Szalai of Fenerbahce in the last couple of days, while Lloyd Kelly of Bournemouth continues to be mentioned). Marcos Senesi (Feyenoord) is yet another name here.

Left-back

Having missed out on Lucas Digne (Everton) and with the rumours around Nicolas Tagliafico (Ajax) subsiding, Mitchell Bakker of Bayer Leverkusen is the new name in the frame here, following a good few stories about Robin Gosens (Atalanta) previously.

Centre Midfield

Still nothing of any real substance here, frustratingly. Hopefully, we're just doing a better job of keeping things quiet. Jason Knight of Derby has been mentioned recently, while the noise around Amadou Haidara (Leipzig) has died down. 

Wide Midfield

Linked to Ousmane Dembele (Barcelona) again, sketchy report of a bid for Eden Hazard (Real Madrid) from Spain, and an ongoing rumour around Todd Cantwell (Norwich). Hard to know how much substance there is to all of this, probably more than any other position.

Attacking Midfield

Jesse Lingard (Man Utd) is back as a tangible link as of today, while we've been credited with an interest in Christian Eriksen (free agent) in the last couple of days. It hasn't seemed a priority position, but the Lingard link won't go away.

Striker

Probably easier to note who we haven't been linked with at this stage, but Duvan Zapata (Atalanta) appears to be the current front-runner, after the noise around Hugo Ekitike (Reims) settled quite a bit. Alassane Plea (Gladbach) mentioned yesterday by a decent source, but seems to be getting hawked around, while Stephy Mavididi (Montpellier) has been continually mooted in a few places and the links to Darwin Nunez (Benfica) have returned in the last day or so.

If at least one link in each of the above sections is true, we're feasibly in the market for 6-7 more signings. No clue whether we're working with a set budget or just trying to go all-out to avoid relegation, though, so it's difficult to say if the deals being done are dependent on the others.

Of the above, it seems RCB, LCB, and ST are being pushed the hardest at the moment. We'd all like to see CM joining that mix, and maybe LB/LWB, while attacking midfielders/wingers are seemingly more "nice to have" rather than being viewed as being absolutely fundamental.

4 minutes ago, Rich said:

Howay then, it feels like it's time for another recap of where things are at:

Centre-back

Clearly still working on both a right-sided CB and a left-sided CB, with Diego Carlos of Sevilla the clear first choice at RCB (Gleison Bremer of Torino and James Tarkowski of Burnley still being consistently linked as alternates, with Nikola Milenkovic of Fiorentina as a recent rumour of interest).

With the Sven Botman (Lille) deal seemingly dead in the water, it appears that Benoit Badiashile of Monaco is the second choice at LCB (rumours of revived interest in Nico Schlotterbeck of Freiburg and a new link to Attila Szalai of Fenerbahce in the last couple of days, while Lloyd Kelly of Bournemouth continues to be mentioned). Marcos Senesi (Feyenoord) is yet another name here.

Left-back

Having missed out on Lucas Digne (Everton) and with the rumours around Nicolas Tagliafico (Ajax) subsiding, Mitchell Bakker of Bayer Leverkusen is the new name in the frame here, following a good few stories about Robin Gosens (Atalanta) previously.

Centre Midfield

Still nothing of any real substance here, frustratingly. Hopefully, we're just doing a better job of keeping things quiet. Jason Knight of Derby has been mentioned recently, while the noise around Amadou Haidara (Leipzig) has died down. 

Wide Midfield

Linked to Ousmane Dembele (Barcelona) again, sketchy report of a bid for Eden Hazard (Real Madrid) from Spain, and an ongoing rumour around Todd Cantwell (Norwich). Hard to know how much substance there is to all of this, probably more than any other position.

Attacking Midfield

Jesse Lingard (Man Utd) is back as a tangible link as of today, while we've been credited with an interest in Christian Eriksen (free agent) in the last couple of days. It hasn't seemed a priority position, but the Lingard link won't go away.

Striker

Probably easier to note who we haven't been linked with at this stage, but Duvan Zapata (Atalanta) appears to be the current front-runner, after the noise around Hugo Ekitike (Reims) settled quite a bit. Alassane Plea (Gladbach) mentioned yesterday by a decent source, but seems to be getting hawked around, while Stephy Mavididi (Montpellier) has been continually mooted in a few places and the links to Darwin Nunez (Benfica) have returned in the last day or so.

If at least one link in each of the above sections is true, we're feasibly in the market for 6-7 more signings. No clue whether we're working with a set budget or just trying to go all-out to avoid relegation, though, so it's difficult to say if the deals being done are dependent on the others.

Of the above, it seems RCB, LCB, and ST are being pushed the hardest at the moment. We'd all like to see CM joining that mix, and maybe LB/LWB, while attacking midfielders/wingers are seemingly more "nice to have" rather than being viewed as being absolutely fundamental.

These high quality write ups are needed daily Rich :lol:

3 minutes ago, Gallowgate Toon said:

They might as well make the January transfer window a week long, tbh. Would save everyone a load of annoying faff.

There should not be a 2nd transfer window. Just one in the summer for two months June & July then away you go.

This transfer window been like a microcosm of my life, first quarter everything was very new and exciting then it slowed down to being a bit boring and repetitive, now suddenly left wishing could recapture a bit of that early zest because its suddenly getting closer to the end than the beginning

1 minute ago, Billy Pilgrim said:

Need a full and honest assessment of why we haven’t been able to get bodies in the door, and for blame to be apportioned correctly.

I can't work out whether this is serious or not