More transfer rumours

midds

2 minutes ago, r0cafella said:

He isn’t. 

He’s better than Burn, Lascelles and there isn’t much between him and Schar. I’d argue he’s had more good seasons in the Prem than Schar has.

3 minutes ago, SUPERTOON said:

He definitely isn’t, he’s also only suited to playing for a team who sits back and defends, we won’t be playing that style going forward.

He’s very comfortable on the ball and a classy defender, not some low-block lump; :lol: are people confusing him with Grant Hanley?

1 minute ago, McCormick said:

He’s better than Burn, Lascelles and there isn’t much between him and Schar. I’d argue he’s had more good seasons in the Prem than Schar has.

He isn’t better than Burn imo. 

Personally. I hope we are looking for younger players, we have plenty of boomers in our back line as it is. 

Again, just because some don't rate Tarkowski particularly highly, it doesn't mean they're expecting us to go out and buy a £30 million CB.

I just think it would be very "meh" because I don't see how he enhances the squad. He's solid enough on the right, a car crash on the left and doesn't stand out with the ball at his feet. 

8 minutes ago, McCormick said:

He’s very comfortable on the ball and a classy defender, not some low-block lump; :lol: are people confusing him with Grant Hanley?

Comfortable on the ball ? Where you getting that from ?

1 minute ago, Shearergol said:

Tarkowski was decent when Wood was decent. He's been absolutely shite this season. He's not "comfortable on the ball" at all, I have no idea where that's come from?

Aye, as soon as he's moved to the left to cover Mee, he looks all over the show.

12 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

Again, just because some don't rate Tarkowski particularly highly, it doesn't mean they're expecting us to go out and buy a £30 million CB.

I just think it would be very "meh" because I don't see how he enhances the squad. He's solid enough on the right, a car crash on the left and doesn't stand out with the ball at his feet. 

Just don't think it's a position that's going to be prioritised on the budget we've set. Not many free transfers with Premier league experience knocking about

Why is everything always so fucking binary. Tarkowski is either good or shit, right? 

No, he's a solid centre back, who's not great on the ball but pretty decent off the ball. He's also a leader and a good character, in keeping with the sort of people we have already signed.

He's better than Clark, Fernandez and Lascelles. He's comparable in standard to Burn (who people also criticised when we signed him).

Also, anyone saying "he's been crap for Burnley this year", is kinda missing the point. I dare say you could stick Baresi in the Burnley back four and you would see the odd wrinkle.

Here's the key, he's on a free transfer and while signing players for nowt shouldn't be our strategy, it's certainly a huge plus point in this case. Signing Tarkowski on a bosman would minimum add a decent 4th choice to our squad, but also has the potential to unlock other avenues because it may allow us to sell Lascelles.

The caveat to all this, is that signing Tarkowski on a free should be an extra, not an alternative to signing a top quality progressive CB.

The only other thing I would add, is that any potential signing should be viewed through the prism of a full pre season of Eddie Howes coaching, which I would bet will get an extra 10% out of anyone.

Each to their own opinions on players but if Tarkovski, Lingard and Calvert-Lewin were 3 of our signings I would genuinely be gutted. Got to be aiming a lot higher than that man. A centre back for a team who could be relegated, someone who never gets a game for a dreadful Man Utd and a crock who isnt playing under Lampard 

Calvert-Lewin as in the 25 year-old England international? Would be a good, potentially very good, signing imo. Huge upgrade from Wood.

Edited by Collage

1 minute ago, Collage said:

Calvert-Lewin as in the 25 year-old current England international? Would be a good, potentially very good, signing imo. Huge upgrade from Wood.

Yep, his fitness is the only question. Even then, you have to take risks from time to time.

36 minutes ago, McCormick said:

Think a lot of people are really underrating Tarkowski here. He’s a very decent player.

If he's replacing Fernandez (33 and clearly physically finished) or Lascelles as third/fourth choice then it's clearly not a bad move by any means. He's more capable than both.

3 minutes ago, Collage said:

Calvert-Lewin as in the 25 year-old England international? Would be a good, potentially very good, signing imo. Huge upgrade from Wood.

Out of the 3 mentioned he is probably the one who I wouldn't be too bothered by as I do rate him. Injury problems would be a major concern though especially with Wilson as well. To say he would be an upgrade on Wood is obvious as I think Wood is absolutely terrible and if someone offers £10m I would take it instantly. We can aim higher than DCL as well though imo

1 minute ago, Thumbheed said:

Schär, Tarkovski, Burn and a money signing would be incredible depth wise for centre halves. 

Think people forget building a squad is more important than building a first team. 

I think most agree with that, it’s if Tarkowski would be first choice it would be an issue.

39 minutes ago, McCormick said:

Think a lot of people are really underrating Tarkowski here. He’s a very decent player.

I always thought he was a decent defender until I heard a few Burnley fans on the 5 live phone in saying he was awful. Since then I watched him and thought he was overrated. Has looked a lot better recently under Jackson so maybe he was going stale there under Dyche. Pulled his hamstring now so probably played his last game for Burnley. 

31 minutes ago, STM said:

Why is everything always so fucking binary. Tarkowski is either good or shit, right? 

No, he's a solid centre back, who's not great on the ball but pretty decent off the ball. He's also a leader and a good character, in keeping with the sort of people we have already signed.

He's better than Clark, Fernandez and Lascelles. He's comparable in standard to Burn (who people also criticised when we signed him).

Also, anyone saying "he's been crap for Burnley this year", is kinda missing the point. I dare say you could stick Baresi in the Burnley back four and you would see the odd wrinkle.

Here's the key, he's on a free transfer and while signing players for nowt shouldn't be our strategy, it's certainly a huge plus point in this case. Signing Tarkowski on a bosman would minimum add a decent 4th choice to our squad, but also has the potential to unlock other avenues because it may allow us to sell Lascelles.

The caveat to all this, is that signing Tarkowski on a free should be an extra, not an alternative to signing a top quality progressive CB.

The only other thing I would add, is that any potential signing should be viewed through the prism of a full pre season of Eddie Howes coaching, which I would bet will get an extra 10% out of anyone.

It's not "fucking binary" though is it. Those people who think he's shit, just think he's shit? He's been massively on the decline this season (much like the other player I'm gonna stop mentioning).

I'd dread seeing him play for us, even in a cup competition. Especially the system Howe is trying to bring in. We need players who are more comfortable on the ball than Lascelles is, or Tarkowski is. Even if they are only "4th choice", they'll still end up playing a fair bit for us.

Despite their complete disaster of a year I do consider Everton as a top ten (ish) team in this league, or should be given their support and spend/infrastructure. It would be glorious to be taking players (that arent finished) away from clubs in the top 10 again.

Still think there is better value than DLC but I'd certainly be happy with him.

1 hour ago, SUPERTOON said:

Comfortable on the ball ? Where you getting that from ?

Played further up the field in his younger days and does look comfortable on the ball especially for a such an aerially dominant cb?

:lol: Anyway, I feel like I’ve batted for Tarkowski enough. 

In my opinion 

We need to have a better central defensive trio of burns / schar / tarkowski 

that’s if we want to push on 

All 3 decent squad players and ok against Bottom 7 or 8 teams 

need more quality if we want to push on / aim for top 7/8 ?

if we brought in Tarkowski plus another (better / higher quality centre half) 

Then yes 👍🏼 

we can then look to sell Clarke / Lascelles / Fernandez 

Edited by JonBez comesock

2 hours ago, The Prophet said:

He'd be an utterly pointless buy. An average, ageing CB that we would need to move on in a couple of years.

Same was said for Burn before he moved here.....and we paid money for him..