More transfer rumours

midds

2 minutes ago, Schecter said:

Hope this is true, apart from the last line. 

Everton being stupid with money - who would've thought?[emoji38] And yet the stories the other day about "the PL wanting to closely scrutinise Newcastle's spending this summer".

I don't really get the Tarkowski link at this point. I'd probably start believing the whole "we're skint, honest," line if we actually went and signed him. By all accounts we were prepared to spend a fortune on both Carlos and Botman in January, so I don't see why we'd get to the summer and suddenly need to hunt down freebies from relegated clubs. 

If we were to sign Tarkowski to replace a squad player like Lascelles/Fernandez, then it makes complete sense.

i don’t believe we sign him to be a starter, no way. 

Just now, Jaqen said:

Think we'd have had the Targett deal sorted straight away if Howe wanted him long term. 

It's a weird situation. Fans and players want him to stay, he's been excellent but there is no urgency to sign him. Can only assume he is a back up option if we can't get the likes of Lodi or whoever else is on Howe's shortlist.

I’d prefer Targett to Lodi tbh. Not convinced that Lodi could do a decent enough job defensively in a back 4.

Honestly it’s a bold/ possibly foolish move not going for Targett at the prices being mentioned imo.

I reckon Howe is having an honest discussion with him about the fact he could conceivably sign for us but not be a starter because of how he wants to set the team up. If he isn’t signed up soon then I don’t think we’ll sign him at all which would be absurd on one hand but also make a bit of sense on another. His application and defensive talent is fantastic but if Howe wants to set the team up in a different way then I could understand it. Would be such a massive shame for Targett and the fans though 

It would be a bit of ruthlessness from Howe. A well liked member of the dressing room and a solid player to boot, it should be an no brainer. Howe though has a vision of how he wants us to play and a more attacking full back with recovery pace might be what he has in mind.

1 minute ago, McCormick said:

I’d prefer Targett to Lodi tbh. Not convinced that Lodi could do a decent enough job defensively in a back 4.

Honestly it’s a bold/ possibly foolish move not going for Targett at the prices being mentioned imo.

With the new owners, it feels like we are looking at this the wrong way. Ignore the price, only question should be does he fit the style of player Howe is after?

I feel like Targett my be left twisting in the wind for a few weeks. I think ideally Eddie want's a more attacking left back, these Renan Lodi links are getting to the same stage as Trippier (but also Botman/Carlos) was in Jan. I think they're hoping they can get Lodi in, but that Targett will still be there if that falls through. As others have said, if Targett was the first choice for the position I feel like that would've been sorted by now. 

2 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

It would be a bit of ruthlessness from Howe. A well liked member of the dressing room and a solid player to boot, it should be an no brainer. Howe though has a vision of how he wants us to play and a more attacking full back with recovery pace might be what he has in mind.

It wouldn't be that ruthless, he's only on loan. 

1 minute ago, ManDoon said:

I do get that, but I personally think Targett is fine from and attacking sense. Digne didn’t have much better numbers. He also takes set pieces and is defensively extremely good.

I'm a big fan of Targett and I'm totally on board with signing him. He's the risk free option.