More transfer rumours

midds

5 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

Henderson is a bit of an unknown for me, but I'm surprised there's a preference for Pope over Dubravka tbh. At best that's a very mild upgrade imo.

This is how I feel. Unless we're bringing someone in who is very comfortable playing out from the back then I cannot see the point in replacing Dubravka tbh. (Henderson might be that but Pope probably isn't).

Agree if we bring in a keeper it should be to get us playing better footy at the back. It may well be that we are priced out of that this window if it's not a top priority. I wouldn't be shocked if we go for a promising young keeper to provide competition rather than shelling out, and I don't think shelling out for a slightly better but same style as dubs keeper feels pointless

It’s not just kicking that Dubravka is weak in. When things are going against us he often looks shaky and makes errors. I don’t think he always radiates confidence from the back. 

Whether Hendo is the right upgrade, I’ve not seen him enough to say. 

15 minutes ago, ponsaelius said:

I didn't realise Henderson was from Cumbria. Wonder if he has any affinity to NUFC.

I'm not sure about that but one of my work mates is a Carlisle United supporter, used to play for the youth team and still has connections down at Brunton Park. He told me today that he'd heard a deal was as good as done & Carlisle were buzzing about it because they're £2.5m in debt & when they sold Henderson they had a 10% sell on clause inserted.

7 minutes ago, SUPERTOON said:

Just trying to think of realistic RW options, we where linked with Carassco on deadline day, chances we go back in for him ? Or any other names people can think of ?

Ekitike and Raphinha, I think we'll be looking more at that type of wide forward player than out and out wingers.

1 minute ago, Jackie Broon said:

Ekitike and Raphinha, I think we'll be looking more at that type of wide forward player than out and out wingers.

I'd go for Antony instead of Raphinha, both are great and antony is younger. 

Both would be amazing signings for the toons

11 minutes ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

It’s not just kicking that Dubravka is weak in. When things are going against us he often looks shaky and makes errors. I don’t think he always radiates confidence from the back. 

Whether Hendo is the right upgrade, I’ve not seen him enough to say. 

I thought this back in January but our defence has been the best I've seen it, possibly ever, and Dubravka has been a part of it. He's cut his mental mistakes down to a forgivable level.

I want a keeper who's quick to release the ball and can ping those flat, 80 yarders over the opposition defence. Otherwise it feels a bit sideways atm imo.

9 minutes ago, Tiresias said:

https://fbref.com/en/players/3a949a25/Martin-Dubravka

My stats head can't quite work out, he has very decent stats for expected goals against from goals against and per shots on target but his save % is very average. Can someone explain what to make of that?

Would that not suggest that the defense playing in front of him are allowing him to be exposed to a lot of high quality shots(high xG shots) ?

Edited by Joey47

Could be a good shout about maybe more of a forward filling the right side of the front 3 role, Howes mentioned in a few of his press conferences that we need to add more goals from open play so expect who ever comes In to be able to chip in with a few next season more so than Maxi.

19 minutes ago, JNK said:

I'd go for Antony instead of Raphinha, both are great and antony is younger. 

Both would be amazing signings for the toons

Both would be great, but Raphinha is the better player right now and he's proven for two seasons now that he can do it in this league. If you had to pick one of them for the same fee than Raphinha is for sure the one to go for. That being said, can't see us signing either tbf. Think Raphinha is most probably heading to Spain, unless Leeds are willing to sell to a PL rival and Antony I could see end up with Ten Haag at Man United as they don't have a right winger. 

34 minutes ago, SUPERTOON said:

Just trying to think of realistic RW options, we where linked with Carassco on deadline day, chances we go back in for him ? Or any other names people can think of ?

Leao, Sarr, Diaby, Dembele, De Ketelaere, Brennan Johnson, Doku….

2 hours ago, reefatoon said:

Ignore all the bluster and opinions from everyone and just sit back, relax and trust in anything Howe does. He knows what’s best for his own lineups, not Billy fuck knuckle on Twitter. Enjoy the ride my friend!

I was going to say the same -- this is going to be the most enjoyable and relaxing transfer window of maybe my entire life. January was exciting, but also stressful because of our league position.

The second half of the season went better than anyone could have expected, which sets us up really well to sell the project. We have money and we're going to spend some of it. If we don't get a player it will either because we didn't want them or they chose somewhere else. Not because we weren't actually trying. I can't find much to be stressed about honestly.