More transfer rumours

midds

45 minutes ago, Optimistic Nut said:

Tielemans for me. One of my favourite midfielders in the league.

He’s good for 5-6 goals and assists a season which is something we’ve lacked hugely from CM for years. Him & Bruno could get that a season which would take the pressure of Joelinton’s poor end product from us a bit in that area. Good vision, passer and knows the league.

4 minutes ago, PlymouthGeordie said:

Tielemans is great on the ball buy lacks mobility. I'm not sure he'd be a huge upgrade on Shelvey.

:lol: love the range of opinion 

Tielemans is a brilliant midfielder, but I'd prefer Paqueta because he'd add a goal threat from deep and he has the versatility to play up top or out on the right. The first eleven is crying out for goal scorers.

Both exceptional players. Since getting back into watching the game, Tielemans has been one of the most impressive and consistent performers in the league for me and he has years of experience to call on. But for me, Paqueta is another level with his vision and technical ability on the ball and if you add his chemistry with Bruno to it, if we were lucky enough to choose between them, i'd personally go for Paqueta. Can't see us getting either one but it'd be amazing like.

Edited by LionOfGosforth

Not really concerned about it as I have absolute faith we'll get one but we desperately need a striker far more than a midfielder. Upgrades anywhere on the pitch will be massively welcomed of course, but can't help but feel that this summer will have been a bit of a failure if we're just hoping Wilson doesn't get injured again (which he will looking at his record if he's our only quality striker) and we have to play Wood.

I have told faith in Howe and the direction that he wants to take the team, but I would find it odd if we chased a marquee centre back before a midfielder. I understand that we lacked depth at centre back, but both Burn and Schar are solid midtable centre backs. On the other hand, while Shelvey has improved in recent months, he's still no where near good enough and as a stats cruncher I'm sure Howe is fully aware of that. Unless we have big plans for Willock this season, I'd have had a midfielder second on the list of priorities behind a goal scoring winger. That's what makes me think we might be in the market for one.

I always think about what players under Howes coaching would look like and Tielmans would find his way back to his best.

I think he had his head turned last summer but the CL interest has dried up. He might just want a fresh start.

Guest HTT II

We don’t quite need him or that type of player right now, his lack of mobility and physicality would be a worry, he’s a very good footballer on the ball of course, but I don’t see how he’d compliment us as well as others, like a Paqueta for example. 

2 minutes ago, HTT II said:

We don’t quite need him or that type of player right now, his lack of mobility and physicality would be a worry, he’s a very good footballer on the ball of course, but I don’t see how he’d compliment us as well as others, like a Paqueta for example. 

He's got more energy than Eriksen who everyone would like.

Guest HTT II
Just now, STM said:

He's got more energy than Eriksen who everyone would like.

Different players though, Eriksen is a playmaker. I mean I wouldn’t say no, but we have different needs right now and I’d say the same about Eriksen, I want Paqueta. But again I wouldn’t say no to Eriksen either.

It's strange because we've got two potential deep lying midfielders in Bruno and Shelvey, but neither are really physically imposing, they are much better at ball playing than ball winning. Then we've got Joelinton to provide the physicality but he's not so accomplished on the ball. Then we've got Willock who is decent at pressing, can pick up the odd goal, but isn't reliable to protect the ball.

Lots of midfielders with some quality, but arguably on Bruno who can do a bit of everything. Maybe you could include Joelinton in that bracket given his pitch coverage and midfield breaking qualities.

Guest HTT II
Just now, TRon said:

It's strange because we've got two potential deep lying midfielders in Bruno and Shelvey, but neither are really physically imposing, they are much better at ball playing than ball winning. Then we've got Joelinton to provide the physicality but he's not so accomplished on the ball. Then we've got Willock who is decent at pressing, can pick up the odd goal, but isn't reliable to protect the ball.

Lots of midfielders with some quality, but arguably on Bruno who can do a bit of everything. Maybe you could include Joelinton in that bracket given his pitch coverage and midfield breaking qualities.

We badly could do with a proper DCM, but right now we need attacking players wide and up front as we lack goals in this team. 

48 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

Tielemans is a brilliant midfielder, but I'd prefer Paqueta because he'd add a goal threat from deep and he has the versatility to play up top or out on the right. The first eleven is crying out for goal scorers.

Tielemans for me. Premier league proven,  cheaper can put rest money elsewhere. But be ecstatic with either ha

I honestly think if the links with Eriksen are genuine then we'll see some movement in midfield once his future is sorted out. 

He comes here and that'll be it at CM. If he doesn't then I can see us going for Paqueta. 

I don't think for one second that we have the kind of limited budget that's been mentioned in the press but I do think we'll try to spend it wisely. 

Eriksen on a free and we've more money to chuck at a RW (Diaby), or a striker (Osimhen) 

Paqueta bought & it'll be in the cheaper players we've been linked with in them positions like Sarr and Broja. 

I have thought that while CM is a lower level of priority than RW and ST I’m sure that we will bring one in, one injury and a suspension to 2 of either Bruno, Joe or Willock and we are struggling to put together a midfield 3 let alone a capable one. 

Edited by Nine

More goals upfront is very much the priority i would have thought but we do really need another cm who is good at passing. Shelvey, Longstaff and Willock are all pretty poor at recycling ball and keeping posession. We want to get better possession stats we need a 3rd mid. The ideal Tielemans wouldnt come cos he wouldnt be able to displace shelvey is funny. Really doubt it though, been reported he wants european footy and suspect again we are looking abroad cos premier league wages break our wage structure generaly.