More transfer rumours

midds

He’s a different prospect to Ekitike as well, since he’s a CF and (I assume) won’t play in the wide forward positions. Means he’d literally be an alternative to Wilson and not so versatile. 

Edited by AyeDubbleYoo

21 hours ago, Hanshithispantz said:

Gordon looks like he'll be a cracking player but he's fucking repulsive to the point I genuinely wouldn't want him 

Correct. Despise the little skinny Ratigan lookin ass.

I'm not even really sure where we got the reputation of willing to pay ridiculous sums for past-it players came from: even before PIF there was a "haha, maybe nufc will buy them" thrown out whenever some 33+y/o was looking for a last payday, as if we were the luxury version of Allardyce's Bolton.

Now the links will be cranked to 11. i'm not even mad, just disappointed at how lazy it is.

2 minutes ago, thomas said:

I'm not even really sure where we got the reputation of willing to pay ridiculous sums for past-it players came from: even before PIF there was a "haha, maybe nufc will buy them" thrown out whenever some 33+y/o was looking for a last payday, as if we were the luxury version of Allardyce's Bolton.

Now the links will be cranked to 11. i'm not even mad, just disappointed at how lazy it is.

It's a remnant from the pre-Ashley era. It's crazy how lazy it is considering we didn't do that at all for 15 years. 

2 minutes ago, Nobody said:

It's a remnant from the pre-Ashley era. It's crazy how lazy it is considering we didn't do that at all for 15 years. 

I was thinking about that but Butt and Geremi were the only two that came immediately to mind and neither were particularly expensive. Campbell came in under Hughton for next to nothing. I don't think it ever really fit but I wasn't following until 2002 so maybe there were some 90's shenanigans.

1 minute ago, thomas said:

I was thinking about that but Butt and Geremi were the only two that came immediately to mind and neither were particularly expensive. Campbell came in under Hughton for next to nothing. I don't think it ever really fit but I wasn't following until 2002 so maybe there were some 90's shenanigans.

I guess there was also Babayaro, Duff, Smith, Owen, Viduka (who I quite liked to be fair) off the top of my head.

8 minutes ago, thomas said:

You could probably make pretty solid cases for Viduka, Duff, Owen, Kluivert (although he was still good), Ronny Johnsen, Babayaro, Smith being name signings who were all past their best. 

Edited by Kid Icarus

Hopefully we see more of the outgoings start to happen now, Gayle, Clark and Hendrick will all have championship takers but we’ll still be paying half of their wage. I know they want loans with obligations but I can’t see that happening for more then a few of our players.

6 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

You could probably make pretty solid cases for Viduka, Duff, Owen, Kluivert (although he was still good), Ronny Johnsen, Babayaro, Smith being name signings of players who were all past their best. 

I was more going for the idea of both paying over the odds and for players aging out of the game. When we got aging players or cast-offs it was usually at the cut rate you'd expect. Babayaro, Duff and Smith were 27 when they joined and relatively cheap iirc. I don't know I could really have called Owen past it when he joined us considering Man U getting 3 more years out of him after his ACL at the WC

Edited by thomas

16 minutes ago, thomas said:

I was more going for the idea of both paying over the odds and for players aging out of the game. When we got aging players or cast-offs it was usually at the cut rate you'd expect. Babayaro, Duff and Smith were 27 when they joined and relatively cheap iirc. I don't know I could really have called Owen past it when he joined us considering Man U getting 3 more years out of him after his ACL at the WC

I think it's a miles on the clock thing. Duff annoyingly went on to have a good stint at Fulham but the rest of them were way past their best when they came due to playing from a young age and injuries. We had a bit of a reputation for paying daft wages at the time as well - Keiron Dyer was on £80k a week in 2005 IIRC. £6m was a decent wedge for Smith at the time, probably like paying £20m ish now I'd say.

I remember thinking the signings we made that summer was us showing serious ambition but it was clear early on that they weren't the same players anymore and I'm sure they were on high wages too. 

Edited by Kid Icarus

Just now, gbandit said:

Barbosa seems like a big risk, got no way of knowing how he'd perform in the premier league and who has actually seen him play properly?

I watched a fair bit if him during Flamengo's Copa Libertadores and league double winning year. He was initially loaned from Inter after a failed big money move to Europe, but has rebuilt his career since.

He has a great goal scoring record in Brazil. While does play up top, he'll often drift in from the left or from a deeper position. He loves a pop at goal almost as much as he enjoys getting caught offside. His general link up play is decent enough though.

He seems like a bit of a tool and does get booked a lot for daft celebrations and the like. It's also worth mentioning that one of the reasons that Inter were gasping to get rid of him was a poor work ethic and generally not being arsed.

tl;dr version. Great goal scoring record in South America, but too many red flags for me. It sounds like agent talk anyway.