Chris Wood (now playing for Nottingham Forest)

BeloEmre

Guest neesy111
18 minutes ago, KaKa said:

Yeah, paid very close attention to him today, and he is never a target man. No chance.

If you look back at his goals for Burnley he tends to be looking to get in behind with Barnes doing all the physical dirty work.

With Barnes injured for most of the season it makes sense why he was struggling to score goals at Burnley this season.

This is spot on.

46 minutes ago, BoSelecta said:

7 points out of 9 with him playing. He’s doing the dirty work up front 

This. He's not there to be our traditional and much loved number 9. He's a pivot which brings in others. 

I think some of his flick ons would be pretty decent if others tried to anticipate the space behind a little better.

He was an easy out for us today and with the way the midfield set up we could win second balls or look to press them in their half (which worked as they were shit scared of this) if there was a turnover. His game may improve once Bruno is integrated as we should be set higher up the pitch with less emphasis on him doing lots of grunt work.

He'll get better for us but he's definitely not the answer or a world beater.

He’s a 25m body up front at present. In fairness we haven’t really created a clear cut chance for the lad yet but he does need to be doing more. I think Joselu was more effective, am I wrong?

Only difference is Wood has the scope to improve 

He's looked poor, can't be denied. However, it is only 3 games which we've picked 7 points up in. He wins a fair few headers but there's often no one on the end of them. It'll take time for him to adjust from 4-4-2 Dycheball to what Howe's trying to implement. Hasn't looked good but not writing him off just yet. Think once he gets one he'll look a lot more threatening in front of goal.

The negative comments towards him are really irritating me. 

We've had so many whoppers come to this club, not perform, and stroll around when the club needed them. This lad has run his socks off in every game, tried to win headers, and help his teammates out - a few times tonight he even slotted in on the wing to cover for Maxi. 

If he doesn't score a single goal and we stop up he's done his job.

Maybe he's only a 6 out of 10 striker, but his presence in the team saves us playing ASM there. Instead we can play him out wide where he is a 9 out of 10, a clear match winner.

There'll be games to come where we'll need more from Wood, but that was enough for someone still settling in.

43 minutes ago, GideonShandy said:

I imagine a part of the reason we took him was just to nobble Burnley.

Weghorst gave Man U real problems last night, and was instrumental in the goal with a great assist, so not sure the Burnley fans will feel too nobbled at the moment, but it's early days.

His hold up play is much weaker than i thought, as is his abillity to attack balls in the air; that header in the first half was shambolic for a player of his type, he does work hard and perhaps yesterday will help him improve as some pressure was taken off him to be the main source of goals.

2-3 times in the Second Half he was about a yard away from getting on the end of an ASM cross from the left. Previous games it might be harder to make that run first time because you don’t know if ASM is going to put it in first time or twist & turn first. Hopefully those few moments give him a bit more encouragement to gamble in the next few games.

5 hours ago, Thiago said:

We've had so many whoppers come to this club, not perform, and stroll around when the club needed them. This lad has run his socks off in every game, tried to win headers, and help his teammates out - a few times tonight he even slotted in on the wing to cover for Maxi. 

Nobody is doubting his effort, he's just not very good and we could have done better for the price we paid. 

6 hours ago, cubaricho said:

This literally doesn't matter to us at all anymore. Really wish people would stop banging this drum.

Yes, you are right, however for that outlay it's more that we could have done a much better job of finding a better quality forward.

I think we over emphasised the premier league experience angle with him, which is unfortunate. However, he is contributing to us picking up points at the minute so no issues whatsoever.

6 hours ago, Thiago said:

He certainly is putting himself about and is doing a good job of pressing from the front and covering defensively, and this may very well be what Howe was particularly looking for from the front man they brought in, and it's certainly contributing to us picking up points since he came in, so can't really knock it all.

It's just surprising seeing his limitations in holding up the ball up front, as you'd expect better from him on that front considering his stature, but it just doesn't appear to be his game. With the way we setup the 4-3-3 currently, it would have been really useful to have someone that could hold the ball and allow the midfielders to advance up the pitch off of that, more consistently.

Ultimately, if the team does enough to stay up it will all be fine, so lets hope the points continue as they have since he's joined.

One thing I will say to his credit is that on the second goal he's just behind Fraser if he hadn't been there and right at the end ASM could have squared it to him for a good shot on goal.

He's in the right places a lot of the time. I actually think his headed chance is nowhere near being a sitter, it's just how tame the effort was that makes it bad, he has to be working Pickford at least.