Chris Wood (now playing for Nottingham Forest)

BeloEmre

7 hours ago, ManDoon said:

His replacement got a really good assist tonight. People can say dirty work etc but he contributed nothing so far. That’s the actual fact. 

rewatch the build up to the second goal, he played an important role here that allowed several players to break forward into space

13 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

I actually think his headed chance is nowhere near being a sitter, it's just how tame the effort was that makes it bad, he has to be working Pickford at least.

I agree, there was no pace on the ball and he didn’t have much room to put it either side of the keeper. It was a bungled attempt by him but he was never going to be able to power it in from there 

59 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

One thing I will say to his credit is that on the second goal he's just behind Fraser if he hadn't been there and right at the end ASM could have squared it to him for a good shot on goal.

He's in the right places a lot of the time. I actually think his headed chance is nowhere near being a sitter, it's just how tame the effort was that makes it bad, he has to be working Pickford at least.

He actually played the ball through that lead to that second goal. With the header, it came from a deflection and the ball had no momentum on it so any power had to come from the strikers head, certainly not as easy as some here are saying.

Ive watched his 3 games and I spend all my time looking at him. He worries defenders, he is strong on the ball and holds it up well, he wins almost all of his headers and if you're going to hoof it up to him, that is the expectation. Some of you guys are a tough crowd to please.

47 minutes ago, KiwiMagpie said:

He actually played the ball through that lead to that second goal. With the header, it came from a deflection and the ball had no momentum on it so any power had to come from the strikers head, certainly not as easy as some here are saying.

Ive watched his 3 games and I spend all my time looking at him. He worries defenders, he is strong on the ball and holds it up well, he wins almost all of his headers and if you're going to hoof it up to him, that is the expectation. Some of you guys are a tough crowd to please.

Don't agree with you on him holding the ball up well, and as for winning his headers, most of them are into empty space. That's not all his fault, I think Fraser isn't getting close enough to him, and ASM lives in his own little world bless him.

The one thing I will say is, Wood still shows signs of knowing where the goal is, and I'm hoping we'll see him scoring goals before too long.

While I believe Burnley has a better player replacing him, they are at the moment the least of our threats in the relegation battle. We're better off with Wood up front than any other options available to us. I think he'll get us a couple of crucial goals by end of the season and he'll have done what we needed him to do in order to stay up which ultimately justifies the fee that was paid.

Yesterday was his best game for us so far. 

back to back wins with King Wood leading the line. it’s not a coincidence.

he’s basically Joselu though. ultimately not good enough, but a necessary signing and he’ll do a job. obviously a good character, experienced, knows the league etc etc who gives a fuck what he cost? it’s not our problem.

I'm not sure the chemistry is there with ASM and his hold up play isn't as good as I thought. However he does gives us a focal point and we need that. 

His workrate is good though. Hopefully he can get a goal soon and get a few more.

I don't get why Howe wanted him at all tbh. Afobe, Wilson, King, Solanke, Mousset etc, all the strikers he bought at Bournemouth had mobility in their game. He's never ever used an immobile big man before. It looked a complete mismatch when we bought him and I'm even more convinced he can't hack it outside of Dycheball than ever. 

Despite his height, it was already evident from his medical photos that he lacks a strong physique. Comes as no surprise that he isn't someone to hold the line and bring others into play.

That said, he's our only viable striker until the last few games. Hope he does well and contributes in other ways besides freeing ASM to play in his best position. If he can score 4 goals, it's already a considerable return on the investment.

He is definitely struggling at the moment and he is never going to be a long term solution but I think he has been playing a more important role in the team than people are willing to give him credit for.

He gives us a focal point in attack and even if a lot of the headers he wins are relatively inconsequential it prevents the opposition easily getting control of errant long balls and bringing it out on the floor easily, most importantly he helps to create a bit more space for ASM to work in. If ASM stays fit, I think we will generally find a way to score even if Wood is not doing the scoring.

3 minutes ago, xLiaaamx said:

I don't get why Howe wanted him at all tbh. Afobe, Wilson, King, Solanke, Mousset etc, all the strikers he bought at Bournemouth had mobility in their game. He's never ever used an immobile big man before. It looked a complete mismatch when we bought him and I'm even more convinced he can't hack it outside of Dycheball than ever. 

It's the firs time Howe has used more of a 4-3-3, which kind of came about due to a lack of options and Joelinton's performances in central midfield.

I can see why he was wanting a striker that could then drop deeper and help bring the midfielders into the game by being a focal point. Wood was completely the wrong choice for that though, and I'm not sure how that's all come about tbh.

I'm betting CAA Base just told us he had a release clause after we signed Trippier and we panicked after Cambridge. Everyone was going on about the cross number in that game. As predicted that hasn't translated to the league. 

13 minutes ago, ManDoon said:

He’s pony like, I don’t see any argument against that. Simply having a body up front is likely helping us win games, but he is not holding the ball up or troubling defenders. 

So we're just writing him off as shite straight away, then, despite him only being a bit meh as opposed to actually shite? Cos one argument against it is that his career record is 1 in 3, including at the highest level. 

He's started off slow, clearly having some confidence issues. Regardless of how we play at least he can win things in air, the team has a focal point up top and it keeps ASM out wide. He could play with two left feet and lead in his boots for all I care as long as we pickup points.

2 minutes ago, ManDoon said:

Yeah which I took some shit for saying on here, that game was an anomaly. Genuinely think Weghorst would have been the better option from what I’ve seen of the two.

In the lead up to the transfer window we were linked with Weghorst, Cabral and Maxi Gomez. All who were available for around £10 - £12 million.

All play with great physicality and bring others into play. I think as our league position became more precarious we have gone all in on the prem experience thing, which can be so short sighted, especially as we've seemingly done it for a striker that isn't even quite what we needed.

Definitely seemed to be a panic move after that Cambridge game and result.