Chris Wood (now playing for Nottingham Forest)

BeloEmre

59 minutes ago, PeepShow4life said:

Think we are winning points in spite of him not because of him but he seems like a good lad and as long as we are winning games that's all that matters.

This is pretty much it. People thinking we're undefeated since he came in because of this guy's contribution to the pitch are seriously delusional.

1 hour ago, PeepShow4life said:

Think we are winning points in spite of him not because of him but he seems like a good lad and as long as we are winning games that's all that matters.

I don’t think he is a major hinderance or anything. Having that focal point up there is massive and he leads the press well. But he is very hit and miss back to goal and he doesn’t look too comfortable as a lone striker. 

A lot of the balls up to him where he is winning good headers, where they usually go to no one. Are simply not good enough. Not a lot he can do with no runners near him and when the ball is played so high. Same for the final ball and crosses. We have had a real lack of quality in the final third, which he has contributed to, of course. 

It does work both ways, though. More dangerous crosses and the wide men or runners from deep looking to support him, would see him in a better light.  

Edited by Lush Vlad

2 minutes ago, Menace said:

This is pretty much it. People thinking we're undefeated since he came in because of this guy's contribution to the pitch are seriously delusional.

Oh well. Don't agree, like many have recognised he's not at his best, and I guess Howe doesn't agree with you or is also delusional.

Guest neesy111
1 minute ago, elbee909 said:

Oh well. Don't agree, like many have recognised he's not at his best, and I guess Howe doesn't agree with you or is also delusional.

What other options do we have?

Edited by neesy111

Guest neesy111

He's not useless as is being made out by some, he'll do until end of season as long others are contributing goals.

However the narrative about him has completely shifted from comparing his goalscoring record with Wilson and him filling in a similar role from him, to his team effort now while he looks to have zero goal threat.

Edited by neesy111

Ideally there'd be team effort plus goals. While goals are dry there is at least a team effort. 

Kind of going around in circles here. Yeah, he's clearly having a dry spell. He's also not a top striker. What shall we do with this information other than keep  saying it?

Edited by elbee909

He’s came in done a job of what’s required without the goals but he’s helped change the foundation of the team and be a focal point to hit he’s never gonna be out starting striker for years to come probably only the next few months but I’d like to see a youngster from the 23s or even 18s get a chance when we look safe.

2 hours ago, jack j said:

Cant believe burnley bought weighorst who's scored 1 in 4 and got them 5 points ?

weighorst is definitely an upgrade on Wood. He's hit the ground running as well. Saying that we have to focus on what Wood brings to Newcastle and whilst it's not goals he is part of the pressing, winning possession and is basically a focal point. He is also keeping the opposition defence occupied. He does need to add goals to his game but you can't say he's not contributed to our recent run of form.

18 minutes ago, Dr Venkman said:

I think he’s doing well enough, and the league table would back that up. If we stay up, it was the right signing, really all that matters.

The real question is, would we have been better off going for someone like Weghorst? I think he would have offered more as an actual striker in hold up play and goals, it's the intangible stuff that maybe Wood brings to the table. Hard work, good character, knows English football. I daresay he's useful at defending set pieces as well. In any case, as long as we go up it was an understandable decision to bring him in. You can't get every one right.

People saying we would have been better getting Weghorst are glossing over the circumstances in which he was bought. We’d just looked completely impotent against Cambridge with our best attacking player in ASM stuck out of position on his own up top. Wood was available within 48 hours due to his contract situation and we went on to take 4 points from Watford & Leeds setting us up to attract some good signings in the rest of the window.

Weghorst was a gamble for Burnley which may well pay off but those 4 points earned when no one else could have realistically been available may prove to be the difference in staying up.

That being said I’m sure they would be expecting goals from him but if you look at that first goal from Weghorst yesterday; how many times has Wood been presented with an opportunity to have a shot on goal like that? Maybe he’s not getting in the right positions but you could just as easily say he’s not getting the service to score.

When we bought Wood we had our backs against the wall. It seems we tried to sign numerous different strikers without success and Wood was far better than other options, i.e. no striker at all. He hasn't scored yet but he does give us another dimension and occupies the opposition CBs creating room for others.

3 hours ago, Mazzy said:

Not sure how you can equate him scoring 1 goal in 4 matches is him single handedly getting them 5 points. If Wood had scored 1 goal I'm his 5 games here would you say he was solely responsible for us picking up 11 points in those games?

The time has gone for us to be worrying about Burnley. Those 3 can fight amongst themselves for who finishes top of the relegation places. 

One goal and two assists in two games that heavily contributed to the five points they received.

He’s been fantastic for them so far.

1 hour ago, TRon said:

The real question is, would we have been better off going for someone like Weghorst? I think he would have offered more as an actual striker in hold up play and goals, it's the intangible stuff that maybe Wood brings to the table. Hard work, good character, knows English football. I daresay he's useful at defending set pieces as well. In any case, as long as we go up it was an understandable decision to bring him in. You can't get every one right.

We used to ridicule people like Bruce and Pardew for saying this and now we’re using it to defend a shit signing.

He’s a striker ffs and has played 90 minutes in five consecutive matches and has 0 goals and 0 assists. 

As I say, we’re heavily reliant on our midfielders to keep cropping up with goals or we’re going to end up in trouble until Wilson is back.

He’s not vaccinated so that put a lot of clubs off. Burnley obviously don’t care and he looks decent so far.

Wood has been fine in terms of general play but doesn’t get loads of chances as he doesn’t seem to anticipate anything. The team is playing well, there’s not really an alternative either, so here we are

This thread is so weird, we are unbeaten in 6 and like Kraft, people want to go at Wood.   I dont get it.    Wood is not our 1st choice, it was a reaction to the Wilson injury and we had wanted Etkieke also.  At the moment, if we didn't get Wood then it would be that wonder boy Gayle, who no manager ever seems to want to play. I wonder why?

We are were we are.  At the moment Wood and Kraft are in the team because of injuries, we all know what they are but lets just support them until the end of the season and all work together to get us through to surviving in the PL this season.    In the summer,  Kraft and possibly Wood (although we will probably keep him as a 3rd striker), and Gayle and all the other edge players can be peddled.  HWTL

Edited by Awaymag

I'm old fashioned in that I expect my strikers to score goals and that be their prime role in the team. Yes we've been undefeated since he came here, but he's also not a very good player. I thought that before he signed and he's done nothing to convince me otherwise. He even admits he's surprised to be here. I think even those who defend him acknowledge we overpaid for him due to the situation we'd been left in by Ashley and Doubtfire. He might be a good lad but he really needs to start scoring goals and providing a goal scoring threat. Do that, and he'll win me over a little bit.

Just now, Skeletor said:

I'm old fashioned in that I expect my strikers to score goals and that be their prime role in the team. Yes we've been undefeated since he came here, but he's also not a very good player. I thought that before he signed and he's done nothing to convince me otherwise. He even admits he's surprised to be here. I think even those who defend him acknowledge we overpaid for him due to the situation we'd been left in by Ashley and Doubtfire. He might be a good lad but he really needs to start scoring goals and providing a goal scoring threat. Do that, and he'll win me over a little bit.

I'm older fashioned than you and I just expect my strikers to help the team win.

7 minutes ago, Skeletor said:

Price is irrelevant.   We could have bought him for 1p and you would still have the same opinion.   The cost of a player doesn't matter to the fan anymore because the amount of money the fans put in the clubs coffers, is a small % of the clubs income and so the 'spending out hard earned money' is no longer a valid concern.

I agree Wood needs to score ( more for his own confidence), and I bet he would be the 1st to admit that.   We dont play to Wood's strengths at the moment and Howe is using him more as a distraction to the opposition defenders so that the likes of Maxi, WIllock and Fraser get more space.    Its working as we are unbeaten in 6, Wood has played in 5 of them.    Correlation is there!