Chris Wood (now playing for Nottingham Forest)

BeloEmre

Ambivalent about this, certainly not a blood pumper but needs be as needs must etc. 25m obviously high but fact that deal can presumably be finalised quickly when everyone else is seemingly determined to fuck us around and we are weakening a direct rival makes it bit more palatable.

He's overpriced and uninspiring. But:

- Scores 1 in 3 in the PL

- Is great in the air

- Can put his foot through a ball and hit it cleanly

- Seems surprisingly fast for a big lad

- Wilson is still our main striker and will be back soon, this guy is just cover / a stopgap

Hopefully we'll create more than Burnley too, meaning he gets more chances. 

I'm not unhappy. It fills a problem position for the next few games and he knows the league too.

Edited by Chris_R

Thing is, he's not too bad on the ball for his size. Technically he's better than some think. And I'm one of the underwhelmed.. Much bigger chance of winning with him than without him on Saturday. That's how toothless we currently are. 

Just now, Guybrush said:

This is our Grant Hanley!

20 million pounds seems like a lot but there's a few positives, namely he can score in this league, it weakens a rival and he's (hopefully?) in for Watford.

I would hope this isn't our only striker, but it's far from disappointing. If you want disappointment, I just realised after 40 minutes the oven was only on 50 degrees instead of 200, now that's disappointment. 

Grant Hanley is our Grant Hanley

Just now, Inferior Acuña said:

I'm not sure 20 mil -  in January, to the richest club in the world, in a really desperate situation, for a striker with 10 or more PL goals the last 4 seasons running - really is that surprising a fee in 2022.

Also, he our first kiwi

Was gonna say Curtis good but he was an assume wasnt he

Nice to see some sensible crack in here about him. This is a decent signing that definitely improves our squad. Yes 25 million is steep but we always knew we'd be paying over the odds for players this month. 

3 minutes ago, Chris_R said:

He's overpriced and uninspiring. But:

- Scores 1 in 3 in the PL

- Is great in the air

- Can put his for through a ball and hit it cleanly

- Seems surprisingly fast for a big lad

- Wilson is still our main striker and will be back soon, this guy is just cover / a stopgap

Hopefully we'll create more than Burnley too, meaning he gets more chances. 

I'm not unhappy. It fills a problem position for the next few games and he knows the league too.

Very clean striker of the ball, first thing that comes to mind. 

Im a bit impressed personally.  Doubt they were looking to bring a striker in this window or not this early.    Wilson gets injured and so we throw £20-25M at it to resolve the gap.   If we sign another 5 players like has been mentioned in the rest of this window - then to me that is PIF etc flexing their financial muscle.

I'm sure when we all bask in the glow of our 2029 Champions League win we'll all look back and chuckle. "Here mate, remember when we spaffed £25m on Chris Wood in 2022?"

Oh how we'll laugh :lol:  

I think you have to price in the weakening Burnley part of the deal like. I'd be totally agreeing with it being a ridiculous fee if Burnley were relatively safe, but with them being a direct rival it's potentially worth £25m before you even get onto how he could positively affect us.

People were happy we were seemingly going to spend 30-40m on some unknown 21 year old defender from France yet are seemingly unhappy we are spending 20m + on a proven PL CF?

1 minute ago, Awaymag said:

Im a bit impressed personally.  Doubt they were looking to bring a striker in this window or not this early.    Wilson gets injured and so we throw £20-25M at it to resolve the gap.   If we sign another 5 players like has been mentioned in the rest of this window - then to me that is PIF etc flexing their financial muscle.

These people are the real deal, when they’re prepared to pay upwards of 25 million for a stop gap, it’s pinch yourself time.

They're not finished yet this window either, exciting times.