Jesse Lingard

4 minutes ago, Pata said:

Howe’s ability to motivate players who know they are done here after this season is the thing I’m most impressed. I see almost no risk with Lingard coming and only collecting his paycheck.

Apart from using inflated wages that could go on someone younger and better? 

The World Cup in the winter, plus playing alongside good examples like Trippier (with Graeme Jones clearly knowing Southgate) might be a decent incentive. It's probably a long shot for him, but still.

I'm a bit indifferent to him coming here, to be honest. But that's probably because I've barely seen him play.

2 minutes ago, Super Duper Branko Strupar said:

Can we pin the explanation correcting the above kind of post to the top of this thread or something please.

Didn’t fancy coming permanently but wanted to wait and see what league we would be in and what other teams would be interested, for him to get his last big signing on fee? 

17 minutes ago, Manxst said:

Didn’t fancy coming permanently but wanted to wait and see what league we would be in and what other teams would be interested, for him to get his last big signing on fee? 

Signing permanently for us in January would have made absolutely no sense for him. 

2 minutes ago, Pata said:

Signing permanently for us in January would have made absolutely no sense for him. 

If he believed in what we were doing, and himself to offer us something to stay up then why not. Trippier believed. Bruno believed.

For all we know, Man Utd could have accepted a bid for him, for him to reject it in favor of a loan. 

Not that I really care about that, I'm more worried that he's a very average player that won't offer much more than say Almiron is doing now, being desired for a form he had for 10-odd games 1 year ago, and has shown nothing else of particular note the remaining 10-odd years he's been playing for Man Utd. There must be equally "sensible" signings out there for players who will offer more than this guy. It's like Everton fans gagging for them to sign Longstaff on account of his short spell under Rafa. He's just as much of a risk as any foreign player we could be looking at in that position. Let's go for an exciting signing with potential rather than this boring guy.

Pogba is a weird one. People rave about him, but literally every game I’ve seen him in he’s been shocking / offered very little. Clearly technically very good, but as far as I can see doesn’t really put himself into the game.

9 hours ago, ManDoon said:

He was immense in the euros. 

One of the reasons I'm actually glad the World Cup is not in the summer this year. Our recruitment won't get skewed by players playing out their skin for their country and having their prices doubled overnight. 

Blessing in disguise even though the thought of watching tournament football in the winter is an odd one.

11 hours ago, midds said:

Regardless of where he goes Man U's treatment of him over the last 6 months has been shocking. Blocked a move that would have generated cash via a fee, saved wages for 5 months and severely pissed off a player who had been there for years. All for the sake of 3 poxy appearances in 4 months. Dreadful management of the squad, the player and the club finances. Obtuse and backward logic. 

Tbh I disagree.

We were right in the shit at the time, and it looked for all the world like we needed Lingard to give us even a fighting chance of staying up.

If blocking this had relegated us, they'd have considered it a great decision. Only 20-20 hindsight makes it look stupid, nobody could've foreseen the miracle Howe has worked.

I'm really not sure. I accept he would be an improvement on what we've got - but I really wanted a wide player to be one of our big signings. Not sure we'd get another if we signed Lingard.

I also really think we should be targeting exclusively the 22-26 age bracket. Players who are not too young to be a wild gamble, play like fully formed pros but still have room to grow. The squad average age is pretty high and we need to be pulling that down.

If you look at Liverpool pretty much all their successful signings in recent years have been players in that age bracket. 

Edited by ponsaelius

Not getting any of this 'don't sign because he's 30+' talk, we'd never have brought in Trippier if the club had such a blinkered view to transfers. Stop thinking like Ashley's transfer policy is the right one. The only question from me is the positional one, I don't see him as a right winger. If he was, it'd be a no-brainer for me - quality, cost (with FFP constraints in the coming years to consider), character (something to prove). But as it is he'd take Saint-Maximin's position, which is one of the only positions in the squad in the short term that doesn't need addressing.

4 minutes ago, HawK said:

Not getting any of this 'don't sign because he's 30+' talk, we'd never have brought in Trippier if the club had such a blinkered view to transfers. Stop thinking like Ashley's transfer policy is the right one. The only question from me is the positional one, I don't see him as a right winger. If he was, it'd be a no-brainer for me - quality, cost (with FFP constraints in the coming years to consider), character (something to prove). But as it is he'd take Saint-Maximin's position, which is one of the only positions in the squad in the short term that doesn't need addressing.

I think Lingard being able to cover Willock centrally and be our best right wing/forward role can work. He'd instantly be better than Fraser, Murphy and Almiron. Ideally we need a better natural player for the right wing though. Maybe Lingard can be the rotational one for Willock and either wing. We will need depth in quality.

1 minute ago, hakka said:

I think Lingard being able to cover Willock centrally and be our best right wing/forward role can work. He'd instantly be better than Fraser, Murphy and Almiron. Ideally we need a better natural player for the right wing though. Maybe Lingard can be the rotational one for Willock and either wing. We will need depth in quality.

I don't see him moving to us unless he's guaranteed starts, though. If Willock can become a right-winger then there's a spot for him more centrally potentially. But I wouldn't be so eager to take Lingard over Willock in the middle.

Just now, HawK said:

I don't see him moving to us unless he's guaranteed starts, though. If Willock can become a right-winger then there's a spot for him more centrally potentially. But I wouldn't be so eager to take Lingard over Willock in the middle.

Yeah I think that would be stumbling block - he would be a rotational player not first name on team sheet.

18 minutes ago, HawK said:

The argument isn’t because he’s 30+ - everyone is aware of the impact a good experienced professional like Trippier can have on the team. The opinions against signing Lingaard is that he’d immediately be our highest earning player, and that he barely makes it past 4 goals a season in the Premiership for the last 12 years (other than his West Ham purple patch), as well as predominantly playing in the AM/LW position which we don’t particularly need (Lingaard is not a RW). For the salary, there will be better options for us. If we need to take account of free players, I’d rather we look at the likes of Kamara and then put the cash saved towards an attacking player instead of Lingaard. 

It would have sounded mad a year ago, but I prefer it if we didn't sign him. As talented as he is, his age and wages tend to lean on not signing him for me.

Then again, his experience for a couple of seasons could be invaluable to help push the club forward. I trust Eddie if we did sign him though, it's not as if Lingard's a poor player.

27 minutes ago, HawK said:

Yeah just ignore that most top teams in the world primarily signs younger players, and call it the "Ashley transfer policy" to make your argument look better :lol: We have one of the oldest squads in the league. I don't think we need much more experience.

I have no issue with this as long as it’s not instead of a big long term signing. I do have reservations about Man U castoffs, but this one doesn’t have a lot of miles on the clock and clearly has some talent. Even if his West Ham form is an anomaly, he’s still comfortably better than Fraser and Murphy.