Bruno Guimarães

Fantail Breeze

On 26/05/2023 at 17:42, STM said:

2 things interested me in that interview...

Firstly, he hinted at wanting to play in his favoured position. Presumably at number 8.

Secondly, when asked about how long he will stay, he was rather non-committal. Perhaps I'm reading too much into it and hopefully he signs a new deal soon.

On the second point, if he's negotiating a new contract here on the best terms you can get, then you absolutely wouldn't say that you'll stay no matter what.

What a lush interview man. He's so bloody cute.

Confirmed what we all knew, that he was playing through an injury to his ankle, what a bloke.

I hope he gets fully rested and refreshed and we see some wedding photos.

When he's back in the summer, I want him to sign a big juicy new contract.

Just now, The Butcher said:

Paqueta in the mud. Love to see it.

Paqueta is still going to his wedding like, he also said he's invited ASM, Eddie, Miggy and Mad Dog.

Don't know if anyone has posted it but reports in The Times that Barcelona think an £87m bid will be what it takes to get him over there. Don't shoot the messenger folks.

Barcelona set sights on £87m Guimarães from Newcastle

Duncan Castles

Barcelona want to sign Bruno Guimarães from Newcastle United as part of the newly crowned La Liga champions’ plans to return to the summit of the European game.

The Catalan club believe it will take a transfer fee in the region of €100 million (about £87 million) to persuade Newcastle to relinquish the Brazil international.

Signed from Lyon in January 2022 for an initial €42.1 million, Guimarães has proved fundamental both to securing Newcastle’s Premier League status and to the club’s impressive qualification for next season’s Champions League. The 25-year-old’s performances in centre midfield have drawn the attention of the established elite of European football, including Barcelona and Paris Saint-Germain.

While Newcastle would prefer to retain Guimarães, and are hopeful that he can be convinced to sign an improved deal to remain at St James’ Park for their first Champions League campaign in 20 years, their recruitment department has taken the pragmatic step of identifying potential replacements.

A sale at a club-record transfer fee would also aid the restructuring of Eddie Howe’s squad within the restrictions enforced by Premier League and Uefa Financial Fair Play regulations.

Newcastle declared revenues of £180 million for the 2021-22 financial year, the club’s first under Saudi Arabia-led ownership. Though turnover is expected to increase to as much as £350 million next season with the addition of Champions League income and new sponsorship deals, even that sum would represent a little over half of Manchester City’s record £613 million reported revenues for 2021-22, leaving profits on player trading of importance to achieving Newcastle’s stated goal of surpassing the Abu Dhabi-owned club on the field of play.

“We don’t have the ability to spend the money people will think we have, so we’re going to have to be very smart,” Howe said last week. “It’ll be a small group of players, but ones we think can make a difference.”

Guimarães’s transfer agreement with Lyon included performance-related variables of €8 million and 20 per cent of any profit on his next transfer. Should Barcelona prove unable to meet Newcastle’s asking price this summer as they attempt to meet La Liga’s more restrictive financial sustainability rules, they may seek to convince Guimarães to reject approaches from other suitors with a promise to bring him to the Nou Camp in one year’s time.

“I am ambitious,” Guimarães said after Newcastle secured a Champions League place via Monday’s draw with Leicester City. “This is something I have been since I remember: to have ambition and challenge myself. When I signed, people say, ‘You are crazy to sign for a team who could play in the Championship next season.’ But here we are and we have Champions League one year after.

“I think the challenge will be bigger than next year. I think the team has to have a goal of Champions League, not to go now and then not for ten years. We have to get used to being there. Like in the Carabao Cup final, we have to get used to going there. I think this is the ambition – fight for titles. The club deserves titles. Because of that I am here.”

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/barcelona-set-sights-on-87m-guimaraes-from-newcastle-qf96fsn2f

Some cunt called Duncan Castles

£87m? Barca are hilarious. “We’d like to pay at least £30m under market value for your player. We’re using funds from our corrupt dealings and the fact we’ve sold 30 years’ worth of commercial deals to buy your player we can’t afford”

1 minute ago, Ikon said:

Can’t wait to have him fully fit next season again. 

He was our best player today I thought, which was some feat considering we didn't really have a midfield to speak of. I thought he was going off at one point where he was feeling his ankle on the floor.

5 minutes ago, gbandit said:

£87m? Barca are hilarious. “We’d like to pay at least £30m under market value for your player. We’re using funds from our corrupt dealings and the fact we’ve sold 30 years’ worth of commercial deals to buy your player we can’t afford”

It's probably just Castle talking nonsense to be fair.

1 minute ago, The Prophet said:

It's probably just Castle talking nonsense to be fair.

I didn't like the way he tried to justify the story by making the case for us selling him. There is no case.

Is £87m really under market value for him?

Isn't that round about what Bellingham is going for?

Anyway, I'd be surprised if there's anything in this. Seems a year or two too soon for him to be getting any sort of itchy feet about a Barca/Madrid move and he'll surely want to play for us in the CL.

If it does happen we should insist on getting Raphinha back the other way.

2 minutes ago, Shak said:

Is £87m really under market value for him?

Isn't that round about what Bellingham is going for?

Anyway, I'd be surprised if there's anything in this. Seems a year or two too soon for him to be getting any sort of itchy feet about a Barca/Madrid move and he'll surely want to play for us in the CL.

If it does happen we should insist on getting Raphinha back the other way.

There was that caveat in there if you read it all the way :

Should Barcelona prove unable to meet Newcastle’s asking price this summer as they attempt to meet La Liga’s more restrictive financial sustainability rules, they may seek to convince Guimarães to reject approaches from other suitors with a promise to bring him to the Nou Camp in one year’s time.

So it hints that if things go south next season Barca might be able to take him then.

I don't believe he'll be sold this summer, and I'd like to think there is a good chance we can keep him for the long-term. 

However, if the day does arrive when he is sold, we should at least be looking for the fee that Coutinho went to Barcelona for.  That's the price of business for buying from clubs within the elite or with elite aspirations. £87m is considerably too low and may be even more so after next season.