Bruno Guimarães

Fantail Breeze

Just now, Lenny said:

I think he's going to be a quality player, but I equally think that given how he plays, he's likely to make a costly rick or two as he gets up to speed.

I did think at the time that maybe that's an insight into why they are bringing him in gradually. Clearly massively talented though. 

I thought he did really well when he came on, couple of really nice passes to ASM.

Got done initially when he came on but absolutely loved how calm he was on the ball. He's clearly a confident lad, rather than aimlessly kick it away only for them to immediately attack he looked to retain possession

I think he has to start against Southampton, triple J have played quite a few games in a row now so time to freshen it up

38 minutes ago, Geordie Ahmed said:

I thought he did really well when he came on, couple of really nice passes to ASM.

Got done initially when he came on but absolutely loved how calm he was on the ball. He's clearly a confident lad, rather than aimlessly kick it away only for them to immediately attack he looked to retain possession

I think he has to start against Southampton, triple J have played quite a few games in a row now so time to freshen it up

I agree with the change needed. I haven't been calling for him to start but now is the time. Tired legs in the middle now. It need freshening up.

3 hours ago, Lenny said:

I think he's going to be a quality player, but I equally think that given how he plays, he's likely to make a costly rick or two as he gets up to speed.

He might make a costly mistake or two even once he's up to speed, he seems to have immense confidence in his ability to hold the ball under pressure, and he does seem to look for the really ambitious pass through the eye of a needle. It's what makes him a danger for the opposition, but obviously those type of plays are a bit more risky than a Colback sideways pass to someone 3 yards away.

This reminds me of the doubts about Diego Carlos and his penchant for sometimes costing goals directly, presumably because of his tough tackling, but the Sevilla view was that he was worth all that money because of the goals he saved for the same reason. It's what a player brings to the table overall that counts.

Noticed mixed views on his cameo today so tried to see what I could find in the highlights. He made one of his trademark brilliant interception tackles to get the ball to Shelvey who released ASM but that was all I saw. Like most players, however good they are, you're only going to see his best with a run in the team, it's also the only way he'll get up to game speed and his true quality will shine. Hopefully this run of away games will be his time, we were looking a bit leggy in the middle today, no surprise, Brighton are an excellent away side.

I thought he looked really leggy and slow today despite only having to play 15-20 minutes. I can see why Howe isn’t starting him.

Shelvey was exposed today and couldn’t get near Brighton. Bruno had to come on earlier, but I think it’s clear Howe doesn’t trust him yet. 

The one thing that worried me before his signing was that he seemed to have an appetite for taking risks in possession deep in his own half. He needs to adjust a little bit, because the challenges come in that bit quicker and tastier in the Premiership, and our refs are more lenient when it comes to the physical side. 

But overall, he's a fine player with an imaginative range of passing. And I'd agree that he needs to start now. Our midfield has been unchanged for a number of pressure games, and things need freshening up. Given our situation, I can understand Howe's reluctance to make changes, but we did look tired.