Bruno Guimarães

Fantail Breeze

Preferably he would play with a CDM and a ATM so he can be box to box, the only midfielder we have who can sit deeper is Shelvey right now so really it's a choice between Big Joe and Willock.

If he did start Bruno I'd start Joelinton although he is also more box to box also then bring on Willock for last 20 or so if a goal is needed.

I think we will go unchanged to show the players if you play well and win you keep your place. 

4 minutes ago, Consortium of one said:

So if he can make those same types of passes from a more forward role doesn't he still make Shelvey redundant?  If I'm Eddie Howe I'd want to play out the back and get the ball right to Bruno's feet and bypass the DM in most cases.  Unless the plan is to go to a 2 man MF or use Big Joe deeper both of which leave Shelvey out of the squad IMO.  Of course I am admittedly looking at it from the perspective that I want Willock for pace energy and pressing as well as late runs into the box.

You can't play Joelinton sitting in front of back 4, definitely isn't that type of player and you still need someone with a decent pass and composure there.

3 minutes ago, HWTL said:

You can't play Joelinton sitting in front of back 4, definitely isn't that type of player and you still need someone with a decent pass and composure there.

And it's better to have Shelvey there to break up play?  It's asking a lot for Joe to transition from attacker to holding MF  but who would have thought he could have been successful as a box to box guy?  Howe definitely has decisions to make and I'd suspect any decision will be subject to his review.

TRon and Kaka both have valid points but the reason for their difference is they're missing the elephant in the room: Lyon play 3-4-3 with a high pressing game. The two midfielders (Caqueret + Guimaraes) were tenacious and won the ball high up before starting attacks. There was no pure DM e.g. Ndidi, Bissouma etc because they had 3 CB and one would push up into the midfield to block the space if they lost the ball.

Howe is currently playing a 4-3-3 with a single pivot who is a deep lying playmaker (DLP) - their job is to shield the back 4 and distribute the ball i.e. link up defence and midfield/ attack (Wood is there for the long ball). The original role Guimaraes had does not exist in the current Newcastle formation so the question is, do you make him into a DLP or  play him in CM as a Regista (High pressing midfielder like he was at Lyon)?

Honestly, I'm not sure and that's why Howe is the manager. And before anyone asks why buy someone who does not fit into the system? It's because I'm pretty sure we'll evolve into a 3-4-3 when we get the personnel - we've been linked to a LM like Gosen's as well as it being reported us wanting TWO CB in the window, one who is left footed - this all hints to 3 at the back i.e. 3-4-3. He didn't get who he wanted (no Carlos and Botman) so I think he's making the best of what he has. Guimaraes, Trippier and ASM (the three best players) will all fit perfectly into the 3-4-3 system.

On Sunday I expect Burn to come in for Targett and if Trippier is injured, Manquilo in for him. The rest of the starting XI will remain unchanged despite how much some of want Bruno - that's at least what I think EH will do. 

Edited by Phoenix711

Everything that's been said about him points at him being a defensive minded/transitional midfielder. He's the one that breaks up play and links defense to attack. That doesn't mean he can't break forward at times and link up with the forwards but we've desperately needed someone to play infront of the back 4 who isn't Shelvey.

That's his job, his goalscoring and assist record is enough to prove that. He's scored 8 league goals in his career and contributed 6 assists in just over 110apps. He's the one that starts the movement forwards and pushes us up the pitch with his balls through the lines.

Edited by Mazzy

2 minutes ago, Phoenix711 said:

TRon and Kaka both have valid points but the reason for their difference is they're missing the elephant in the room: Lyon play 3-4-3 with a high pressing game. The two midfielders (Caqueret + Guimaraes) were tenacious and won the ball high up before starting attacks. There was no pure DM e.g. Ndidi, Bissouma etc because they had 3 CB and one would push up into the midfield to block the space if they lost the ball.

Howe is currently playing a 4-3-3 with a single pivot who is a deep lying playmaker (DLP) - their job is to shield the back 4 and distribute the ball i.e. link up defence and midfield/ attack (Wood is there for the long ball). The original role Guimaraes had does not exist in the current Newcastle formation so the question is, do you make him into a DLP or  play him in CM as a Regista (High pressing midfielder like he was at Lyon)?

Honestly, I'm not sure and that's why Howe is the manager. And before anyone asks why buy someone who does not fit into the system? It's because I'm pretty sure we'll evolve into a 3-4-3 when we get the personnel - we've been linked to a LM like Gosen's as well as it being reported us wanting TWO CB in the window, one who is left footed - this all hints to 3 at the back i.e. 3-4-3. He didn't get who he wanted (no Carlos and Botman) so I think he's making the best of what he has. Guimaraes, Trippier and ASM (the three best players) will all fit perfectly into this system.

On Sunday I expect Burn to come in for Targett and if Trippier is injured, Manquilo in for him. The rest of the starting XI will remain unchanged despite how much some of want Bruno - that's at least what I think EH will do. 

Some really interesting points. Will be fascinating to see how it plays out.

In our current system, my inclination is to give him more freedom to be higher up the pitch to create chances with his immense passing ability, because we just don't have anyone that does that in our team.

I think with both Bruno and Joe alongside Shelvey, their tenacious play helps make Shelvey's job easier and he just then needs to be more of a screen at the edge of the box to help block any shots from range.

But lets see what happens. 

52 minutes ago, Robster said:

Tell you what, what a fucking pleasure it is to read interesting and intelligent posts about team selections and formations and not just about how miserable an existence it was under Ashley and Bruce

It's absolutely joyful. There really was fuck all to talk about for two and a bit years. Will the takeover happen, won't the takeover happen. Bruce is shit isn't he. The fans should stop going, no they shouldn't. Ends. 

It's brilliant. I think "we've got our club back" is a bit of a dubious and precarious statement given the nature of football ownership, but we've certainly got our desire for interesting and varied debate back. :laugh:

15 minutes ago, Phoenix711 said:

Honestly, I'm not sure and that's why Howe is the manager. And before anyone asks why buy someone who does not fit into the system? It's because I'm pretty sure we'll evolve into a 3-4-3 when we get the personnel - we've been linked to a LM like Gosen's as well as it being reported us wanting TWO CB in the window, one who is left footed - this all hints to 3 at the back i.e. 3-4-3. He didn't get who he wanted (no Carlos and Botman) so I think he's making the best of what he has. Guimaraes, Trippier and ASM (the three best players) will all fit perfectly into the 3-4-3 system.

That's it, just chuck a 3-4-3 formation into the mix to confuse us further. :lol:

Tell you what's the real take away, we are arguing about which player to drop to make way for Bruno, when we'd have happily dropped any one of them a couple of months ago regardless of Guimarães (yes I copied and pasted) being here.

Trippier, and even Targett's debut was quite eye opening in the difference a bit of quality can make to what we are used to watching. You hardly dare to dream what we might look like in a year's time.

1 hour ago, KaKa said:

I cannot believe having watched this guy's highlights of him driving forward with the ball and threading through exquisite passes to forward players, people want him to come in and sit back in front of the defence.

Not having that at all. Joe's energy and work rate in midfield is absolutely vital at the minute and so he's not going anywhere. And so we have Willock and Shelvey. Willock cannot play in that deeper holding role, and so he has to sit on the bench for now. 

Seen Howe's post match interview and he spoke about the importance of winning the ball in the oppositions half, think thats what Bruno will be doing and will be our most offensive midfielder.

I’d play him in front of the centre backs, have Big Jo play as a disrupter across the whole of the midfield and probably play Shelvey. There’s also an argument to play Willock as the only midfielder we have capable of breaking the lines. It’s such a shame that Wilson is injured.

I’d also be looking during training whether we can use Almiron effectively with Bruno picking out runs.

“He is certainly someone we're keen to see play," adds Howe. "He's an outstanding talent, we've seen that in training already and in his very brief cameo the other night. But it will have to be at the right time to introduce him to the starting XI.”

From Howe’s interview with Sky Sports 

48 minutes ago, LV said:

“He is certainly someone we're keen to see play," adds Howe. "He's an outstanding talent, we've seen that in training already and in his very brief cameo the other night. But it will have to be at the right time to introduce him to the starting XI.”

From Howe’s interview with Sky Sports 

I don’t get this. What is the right time for introducing him to the starting team? Wood, Trippier, and Targett did not have to wait for a right time, why Bruno, especially him being  the most talented out of the new signings.