Bruno Guimarães

Fantail Breeze

10 minutes ago, HaydnNUFC said:

Think I must've posted this 2 or 3 times in this thread :lol: but he's the best player I've ever seen play for us. He's world class. 

I’m 35 and the only two players that I think were of the same level consistently during my time following the club were Shearer and Beardsley. There are basically no weaknesses to Bruno’s game, he’s a complete player and the only thing he needs to do is keep this level up. If he stays at this level and he’s here in three years I would bet on us to win a cup or finish in the top four by the end of 2025/26

Just now, gbandit said:

I’m 35 and the only two players that I think were of the same level consistently during my time following the club were Shearer and Beardsley. 

Bold take like. I'd rank Rob Lee ahead of Bruno but that's purely down to the fact its still very early days for Guimarães, couple in the fact Lee was more of a goal thread (appreciate right now Bruno is playing a deeper role with Shelvey being out). 

1 minute ago, MrRaspberryJam said:

Bold take like. I'd rank Rob Lee ahead of Bruno but that's purely down to the fact its still very early days for Guimarães, couple in the fact Lee was more of a goal thread (appreciate right now Bruno is playing a deeper role with Shelvey being out). 

I love Rob Lee and I think he’ll end up with more goals than Bruno even if Bruno stays here for many years but I don’t think we’ve ever had a midfielder who controls a game like Bruno. His general passing, vision, and ability to hold onto the ball under major pressure then switch to picking out through balls and perfectly weighted chips, along with his attitude are just as good as it gets in centre midfield 

Just now, gbandit said:

I love Rob Lee and I think he’ll end up with more goals than Bruno even if Bruno stays here for many years but I don’t think we’ve ever had a midfielder who controls a game like Bruno. His general passing, vision, and ability to hold onto the ball under major pressure then switch to picking out through balls and perfectly weighted chips, along with his attitude are just as good as it gets in centre midfield 

Oh my god what have you got against Rob Lee after everything he's done for the club? 

Didn’t Lee go from a ten goal a season player to one who, despite still being class, barely scored at all? I remember his goal against Man Utd in the 4-3 breaking some long duck, which then continued. Nothing about him V Bruno, just wondered if anybody had any thoughts on why that was?

Just now, Hovagod said:

Didn’t Lee go from a ten goal a season player to one who, despite still being class, barely scored at all? I remember his goal against Man Utd in the 4-3 breaking some long duck, which then continued. Nothing about him V Bruno, just wondered if anybody had any thoughts on why that was?

He was well into his 30s by the time he scored in the 4-3 v. Man Utd. 

The season before I think Robson used him as a sweeper sparingly as well. He definitely didn't have the legs to be box-to-box anymore. 

And the season before THAT is the season Gullit didn't give him a squad number IIRC until Robson was appointed. 

Think he was shunted out on the wing a few times as well. 

I still think younger cabaye was really really good. I think he declined quite quickly and as much as it hurt when he left he was already past his best and his Palace days he was just a clogger (i was in st james when he did the most blatent red card challenge on one of our players and ref ignored it, was ridiculous) Bruno is better, way more mobile and off the cuff but Cabs was really fucking good. when we finished 5th.

I have quite a romanticised view of Cabaye's time here, and last season I think I said something like Bruno "is almost on Cabaye level for me", and I rightly got people telling me Bruno is way better :lol:

The more I see of Bruno, the more I appreciate just how amazing a footballer he is. I truly hope we can grow with him here as our focal point for years to come. 

1 hour ago, Hovagod said:

Yeah but his role completely changed arguably after 94/95 and definitely post-Keegan.

I’m really impressed by his athleticism. For me he’s the most complete complete midfielder I’ve ever seen for us. There’s no telling what he can’t do. And his attitude. He’a always correctly inclined with the temperature of that match. He’s got everything.