Dan Burn

Rich

1 hour ago, Fezzle said:

It's abundantly clear they do target him, I'd have serious doubts if they didn't. Howes only blind spot in my eyes, obviously not helped by targets injury/lack of form 

Yes but how they arrive at targeting him is the point I was sort of making. His defensive contributions sort of balance out his on the ball shortcomings most of the time, but I'm sure we'll see a marked improvement in our attacking patterns down the left if we have a more athletic, technical LB instead, whether that's Howe trusting Hall or shifting Livramento over there.

4 hours ago, Yorkie said:

I love Burn, like. I don't really agree with the 'CB playing at LB' assessment any more. What's the role of a full-back? To defend the wide areas and then to support the attack by providing an option on the deck; to do overlapping and inside runs; to make through balls; to get to the byline and to make crosses. He does these things, just with much less emphasis on crossing. His passing ability is sometimes left wanting because it isn't his strength. He's definitely a full-back though, just not a complete footballer. He could play that position for most teams in the league. 

The fact he has fully transitioned there is actually a problem for us though. If the Brighton game is anything to go by then he is categorically not at the standard we need our third choice CB to be. 

He’s targeted defensively one on one and that’s a massive weakness of his. And he’s totally ignored by opposition (and some of our own players) when in attacking positions. And his distribution is sometimes poor. 

He’s great at centre back things (for a fullback) like defending the box, fully committed and he gets his head on a lot of set pieces. But he’s not a good centre back (for a team with ambitions of playing in the CL consistently) Ben White, Gvardiol, Ake, Akanji - these all play fullback for their clubs. But they are genuine class CBs. Ake is one of the reasons Botman barely has an international cap.  He’s an almost top level CB and uses those skills at FB.  Burn is a limited CB who is an even more limited FB.  

I like Burns profile as a fullback.  The 2 best teams in the country play with players of that profile. Real Madrid won the CL with a ‘stay at home’ FB in Mendy. The problem is he’s not that good at it. Defensively and offensively. 

He still brings a lot to the team.  I’ve assumed Sheff like to play direct and will be a threat on set pieces so Burn will be very useful there. But I’d like to see Hall play and maybe even invert into midfield. Play passes into the CMs pushing up and the attacking players in dangerous positions. 

Edited by The College Dropout

23 minutes ago, Miercoles said:

Carried that defender all the way across the box for his goal [emoji38]

Mentioned it already in match thread and Gordon thread, but he was integral for Gordons goal as well with his run that pulled the player who was best positioned to block Gordons shot out of position.

Edit: and he started the move for Wilsons goal.

Edited by Conjo

4 minutes ago, andycap said:

Do you think if he didn't put that header in we would have getting a penalty? I mean the lad basically tore his shirt off. 

Lad looked like an old lady trying to hold her 90 pound German Shepard back by the collar. Didn't even slow Burny down [emoji38]

He was actually pretty good going forward today and I can’t help but love the man. As I said in the Longstaff thread - he’s all of us if we got the chance to play in the black and white. Sometimes that love for the club and that pure passion can get the better of him but who can fucking blame him? He’s so important and a man mountain. 

2 hours ago, alexf said:

Wish he would do that more often. He looked unstoppable for that goal. He should score far more with his height.

Good shift in general. Poor lad never seems to get a rest though ?

I mean I agree in general with your point, but his height didn't win that header. Even Peter Beardsley would've had to stoop to nod that one in.

34 minutes ago, AJ9 said:

Dare I say it, looked a wee bit of a threat going forward.

I don't rate him in general on his ability to bring the ball out, but today he was good at both ends of the pitch. He linked really well with Anderson and Gordon. That whole left side did a great job defensively as well as going forward, they really worked for each other.

3 hours ago, Chris_R said:

I mean I agree in general with your point, but his height didn't win that header. Even Peter Beardsley would've had to stoop to nod that one in.

Yeah just worded badly. I just meant his size advantage in general. He's had some shocking attacking headers in the past. But this was very promising. Guy was literally doing everything he could to stop him and Dan still powered his way on to the end of the cross and directed it well. Great cross from Tripps also.