Matt Targett

SUPERTOON

1 minute ago, Lush Vlad said:

I hear ya. Just wouldn’t want it to effect recruitment in other areas. 

I have no idea what the budget is for Jan or if the constant talk of FFP is a bit of a red herring. But if we were to get say two players for decent money. I’d hope we go for a CM and wide man, first. 

Targett seemed more than good enough last season and I still think he has a role to play going forward. Plus I’m not sure how keen Howe would be to change the back 4 as it is. So we’d possibly be spending decent money on someone who is mainly going to sit on the bench. 

Howe will have a plan and will be interesting to see what positions we buy for as I said in the other thread - 3 games where teams have played for the draw and got them (Palace, Bournemouth & Leeds) have not only cost us 6 points this season but told others the best way to go about coming away from SJP with something.

Howe will obviously know how to tackle this problem and will be interesting to see how - maybe that is with a new CM or upgrade wood, let’s see.

Yeah it's a right shame for him. The one player who's not really benefited from us improving despite not having really put a foot wrong. Outstanding from January until the end of the season then just a victim of a system that's lead to us having the league's best defence this season.

Maybe Howe sees him and ASM as a pair? Because as good as Burn is, Targett's a much better foil for ASM.

In our one defeat against Liverpool I thought Targett was absolutely brilliant as well, him and Joelinton bossed that side.

Just now, Kid Icarus said:

Yeah it's a right shame for him. The one player who's not really benefited from us improving despite not having really put a foot wrong. Outstanding from January until the end of the season then just a victim of a system that's lead to us having the league's best defence this season.

Maybe Howe sees him and ASM as a pair? Because as good as Burn is, Targett's a much better foil for ASM.

In our one defeat against Liverpool I thought Targett was absolutely brilliant as well, him and Joelinton bossed that side.

Totally agree about him not putting a foot wrong - maybe ASM does work much better with him, if he’s out for a while do you think we should for a similar in window or not? 

1 minute ago, Gawalls said:

Totally agree about him not putting a foot wrong - maybe ASM does work much better with him, if he’s out for a while do you think we should for a similar in window or not? 

I think it depends on how far along Howe thinks Lewis is and how he views Manquillo and possibly Trippier as LB options. I can't see us going for anything permanent or as a replacement for Targett when we only signed him in the summer.

My money would be on Lewis stepping up.

7 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

I think it depends on how far along Howe thinks Lewis is and how he views Manquillo and possibly Trippier as LB options. I can't see us going for anything permanent or as a replacement for Targett when we only signed him in the summer.

My money would be on Lewis stepping up.

You think he’s up for it - seems a massive ask stepping into the best defence in the league, lot of pressure.

4 minutes ago, Gawalls said:

You think he’s up for it - seems a massive ask stepping into the best defence in the league, lot of pressure.

Only as back up tbf, I can't see our back 4 changing any time soon unless there's an injury. There'd be a lot of pressure on anyone and I'm not sure who the best candidate would be. Can't think of anyone who'd tick all the boxes.

53 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

Yes, I was thinking that might have been the difference between opting to play ASM from the start yesterday. So this situation may be affecting choices on him too.

• 4 weeks later...
4 minutes ago, soyt said:

Does anyone know how long is he out for? 

Howe said he was similar to Shelvey, so if he’s ready in 10 days, you’d hope Targett is about the same, give or take.

Much as I'd hate to disrupt such a ridiculously solid back four, I do think he could add something significant to us in terms of having a left back that can provide something of substance going forward.

Given how solid he is defensively I could easily see him playing the way Burn does on left of a back three when we have the ball but giving us the option to change it up from time to time.

Despite how well I think Burn has done especially his abilities allowing us to play the way we have, I loved this guy last year. He was such a rock and reminded me of Jose Enrique in his defensive ability (if via different means). His contribution for Bruno's winner against Leicester was peak Targett for me. Hope he's back soon.

It is a tough one. BDB has certainly been exposed against pacey wingers but has been overall really solid. I think Matty was pretty much similar in that regard. He struggled a bit against the best wingers but that is pretty usual. Matty offers more coming forward but with potentially playing ASM we need that defensive balance. I feel like I prefer Matty to BDB at LB but that makes me feel guilty and a bit harsh, Matty is like being excited about an old lost toy being found. He barely put a foot wrong last year though and I thought he was going to be pushing for an England place prior to season start and his injury. 

Other thing with BDB playing LB, he gives us that tactical versatility and fluidity to switch to 3 at the back when attacking. Can't wait to see Matty back though, even if it is off the bench.